Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Do you wear a helmet when motorcycling?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, always.

10 66.67%
  • No, never.

2 13.33%
  • Sometimes, it just depends.

3 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcyclists: Do you wear a helmet?

Motorcyclists: Do you wear a helmet?

I ride often. And I always wear a helmet. But I have LOTS of friends who ride who don't wear helmets. It's just their choice not to. Part of the deal I made with my wife when I got a bike is that I would always wear a helmet. But I'm just curious. For those Redszoners who ride, do you wear one?
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Motorcyclists: Do you wear a helmet?

I haven't ridden since selling my last bike, which came on the heels of the birth of my first child. I had one too many close calls with idiots, and becoming a father really made me stop and think. Anyway, I never, ever rode without a helmet, boots, and jeans. After my accident, which skinned my left leg, hand, and arm, I never rode without a leather jacket and palm-padded gloves again. Yes, it was hot in all that garb, but it beat the potential alternative. Those who don't know may think that the leather jackets, gloves, and high topped boots are all about looking bad, but they serve a real purpose. Of course sport bike riders have stuff that looks more modern, and is cooler.

I've seen many wear a helmet with tee shirt, shorts, and gym shoes. Yes, the head would be protected, but the road rash over the entire body and broken ankles are still a possibility. And don't forget the hands. My sister is a nurse, and she told me of a guy that nearly bled to death through the wounds on the palms of his hands!

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I stopped riding after a friend of mine got hit on a motorcycle (with a helmet) and ended up in a coma. When he recovered. then lost a lot of daily life thinking skills. For example, he lost all sense of direction. Needed a map to get to class and home every day, and other things. Forgot everyone he knew, could not remember names and faces.. Most of his friends and family had to reintroduce themselves every day. Really sad , all becuase some idiot car didn't take an extra second to check the road before zooming into him.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Always, because I'm strictly an off-road motorcycle rider. I have no problem saying I'm scared to death of riding a street bike. I do however like to do a lot of jumps and stuff like that on dirt bikes.
    Last edited by dman; 06-16-2006 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I stopped riding after a friend of mine got hit on a motorcycle (with a helmet) and ended up in a coma. When he recovered. then lost a lot of daily life thinking skills. For example, he lost all sense of direction. Needed a map to get to class and home every day, and other things. Forgot everyone he knew, could not remember names and faces.. Most of his friends and family had to reintroduce themselves every day. Really sad , all becuase some idiot car didn't take an extra second to check the road before zooming into him.
    Same kind of experience for me. I got banged up when a lady pulled out in front of me (my helmet saved my noggin). And then my brother-in-law's best friend hit a patch of gravel on a country road and took the big skid off into eternity. Call me a wimp, but just too many things can happen to you on a street bike and there is very little margin for error.

Pay attention to the open sky

I used to ride a dirt bike a lot. Never without a helmet, though.

No way I'd get on a bike now.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

If you only have one head, you should wear a helmet. I did when I rode.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Only if the state laws require the use of one and then only a half-helmet.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    Only if the state laws require the use of one and then only a half-helmet.
    Yeah, mine's a half-helmet. I figure, if I'm gonna wear one, I at least want to look somewhat cool.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable
    Yeah, mine's a half-helmet. I figure, if I'm gonna wear one, I at least want to look somewhat cool.
    I tried different helmets but the half-helmet was the only one that didn't hinder either my peripheral vision or my hearing. I also don't like the added weight of the full face helmets.
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

--Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Nd2
    I tried different helmets but the half-helmet was the only one that didn't hinder either my peripheral vision or my hearing. I also don't like the added weight of the full face helmets.
    I liked the fact that my helmet covered my hearing. My bike was so loud I couldn't hear much anyway The guy I bought it from customized it with the loudest exhaust system he could find for "safety".. Was pretty fun though, everyone would look at you when you drove it on the sidewalks through campus.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I wore a full face helmet and always did when I rode. When I was younger, I got into some gravel on a rural road, on a curve, and well you can guess the result, back of my helmet bounced on the pavement, and all I got was scraped up a bit, but without the helm, that would have been my head bouncing.
    Later the wife and I had full face helms with the intercom system for our touring bike.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD
    I liked the fact that my helmet covered my hearing. My bike was so loud I couldn't hear much anyway The guy I bought it from customized it with the loudest exhaust system he could find for "safety".. Was pretty fun though, everyone would look at you when you drove it on the sidewalks through campus.
    Never cared whether people looked at me or not, but when I was younger I would ride down the sidewalks of Main Street after dark, just to set off the store alarms.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75
    I wore a full face helmet and always did when I rode. When I was younger, I got into some gravel on a rural road, on a curve, and well you can guess the result, back of my helmet bounced on the pavement, and all I got was scraped up a bit, but without the helm, that would have been my head bouncing.
    Later the wife and I had full face helms with the intercom system for our touring bike.
    Rural roads are the worst! Gravel washing out of peoples driveways, draining ditches overflowing with debris after a good rain, and the things the state does to repair roads these days???

I have to ask though, because it's something that I've never understood, what's the fascination with the intercoms, or radios on bikes? One of the things about riding a bike is getting away from the constant chatter. The tunes are in my head depending on the ride and if she can't shut up enough to enjoy the ride, chances are it was her last one anyway.

You are correct about getting away from chatter and it wasn't something we used everyday but the intercom and Radio was on our Honda Aspencade, a grand touring bike. We took it cross-country on more than one occasion, and frankly going down the super-slab for hours on end without some music, or someone to talk with can get a bit... monotonus.

Plus when we'd ride on some of the mountain roads in Colorado, or New-Mexico it was nice to comment to each other on the scenery or such.

Turn Off Ads?