Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Hispanic Team for The Reds

Re: All Hispanic Team for The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by Centralchamps05
    And here's a question--Concepcion was from South America (Venezuala) does he qualify as Hispanic? I though it was from Central America--if that's the case, Lopez would be ss.
    No, I mean the whole of Latin America (not just Central America).

Yes, I would add Pedro Borbon and shame on me for forgetting him. I would also add Manny Sarmiento, another fine pitcher whose arm fell off under the Reds tutelage.

2. Turn Off Ads?

By the way, one who got away who should have been in there was Joaquin Andujar who we traded to Houston for a PTBNL, ultimately Luis Sanchez who we released and was picked up by the Angels after a few years in the Mexican league.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I know it's really early, but Chico Ruiz was a pretty craptastic player stats wise (.240/.279/.295). If EE completes his season at the rate he's going, he has to be in the running at 3rd...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick
    I know it's really early, but Chico Ruiz was a pretty craptastic player stats wise (.240/.279/.295). If EE completes his season at the rate he's going, he has to be in the running at 3rd...
    You're absolutely right and I added him with the added note more for the irony given his demands to be benched or traded. And yes, I think EE may ultimately make this list, even after this season. For that matter, I could slide either Concepcion or Perez there and fill those positions with others, but I decided to stick with their main positions. But Ruiz is there because he wants to sit on the bench and I'm not letting him yet.

So I could kick Doggie over there and put Eduardo at first.

Looking over the Reds rosters back to 1955, I was amazed at the number of Latin American players who were pretty nondescript during their time with the Reds, but had pretty decent (and in some cases great) careers either before or after their time here. Try some of these on for size:

Pitchers:
    Mike Cuellar
    Juan Guzman

Catchers:
    Benito Santiago

Infielders:
    Manny Trillo
    Julian Javier
    Tony Fernandez
    Cookie Rojas

OFers
    Carmelo Martinez
    Roberto Kelly
    Geronimo Berroa
    Ruben Sierra

Some pretty decent names in there - some of those guys I'd forgotten about.
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

Mike Cuellar falls into the same category as Juaquin Andujar, one who got away. Rojas was also a decent infielder who had a nice career after the Reds. I knew there were others who made stops here (e.g. I thought Santiago was here for more than one year). In the 50's, we had that farm club down in Havana and then we had guys in the system. I'm glad to see we're deepening our prescence down south again.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Mike Cuellar falls into the same category as Juaquin Andujar, one who got away. Rojas was also a decent infielder who had a nice career after the Reds. I knew there were others who made stops here (e.g. I thought Santiago was here for more than one year). In the 50's, we had that farm club down in Havana and then we had guys in the system. I'm glad to see we're deepening our prescence down south again.
    Cueller had a language probelm and Bailey wasn't exactly a cuddly catcher, he intimidated young pitchers, some like O'Toole told him where to get off, others like Cueller and Osteen couldn't. IIRC Cueller was told not to throw his screwball and it took passes through two more organizations before Weaver plucked him from the Astros, about 5 years after he was a Red.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    Vada is latin?
    No he wasn't Latin, but when he first came up, many assumed he was, including one of the Reds' coaches.

It seems in his first training camp, a coach thought he was Latin and didn't speak English, so he was speaking to him very slowly and distinctly. "You..have..to..hold..your..hands..like..this. Do..you..understand?"
    Pinson replied, "Perfectly."
    The coach's jaw dropped and then they both laughed.

I saw this story in an article about Pinson in Sport magazine back in 1964 or '65.

How about Angel Bravo? The guy choked up further than any player live seen.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    ... Weaver plucked him from the Astros, about 5 years after he was a Red.
    It was more like ten years after his brief stay with the Reds. The Astros traded Cuellar and, I believe, Enzo Hernandez to get Curt Blefary.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Juan Samuel

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Yay!

Tony Fernandez
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Tony Fernandez
    There you go - Fernandez at 3B for the one good year he had with the Reds and that gives Chico Ruiz his wish to be on the bench.

Juan Samuel
    Doesn't make the cut. His one year was so-so and gets beaten out by Mariano Duncan's couple of years and besides, my kids always loved how the PA announcer always pronounced his name (Mar-ee-ann-o Dun [pause] can!)

How about Cesar hernandez, or Cecil Espy

"So Fla Red"

Josias Manzanillo for closer

Turn Off Ads?