Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All Hispanic Team for The Reds

Re: All Hispanic Team for The Reds

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport
    How about Cesar hernandez, or Cecil Espy
    I'm not sure Espy was Latin, though he was from southern California.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

If for no other reason than his heads-up baserunning in the 1975 World Series and legendary bunting skills, Ed Armbrister (Bahamas) has to be on this list. I'd also put in at least an honorable mention for Sam Mejias, arguably one of the nicest human beings ever to wear a Reds uniform. His wife and my summer league baseball coaches wife were best friends, and he got our entire team a field pass to take BP at Riverfront on a Reds off day in 1980. He pitched for us. Great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23
    If for no other reason than his heads-up baserunning in the 1975 World Series and legendary bunting skills, Ed Armbrister (Bahamas) has to be on this list. I'd also put in at least an honorable mention for Sam Mejias, arguably one of the nicest human beings ever to wear a Reds uniform. His wife and my summer league baseball coaches wife were best friends, and he got our entire team a field pass to take BP at Riverfront on a Reds off day in 1980. He pitched for us. Great guy.
    Unfortunately the Bahamas isn't part of Latin America being an English speaking country in the Carabean Sea. Yes, Sam Mejias can coach with Lou.

arturo de Frietas was definitely solid

arturo de Frietas was definitely solid
    Yikes! I don't even remember this guy? Twelve games in the late 70's - .208 BA though, doesn't make the squad. For those looking, it de Freitas.

does rafael santo domingo make it?

does rafael santo domingo make it?
    No, but maybe he can be the pitching coach:

http://www.ie66ers.com/team/coaches/?id=164

Espy was from So Cal. Same draft class as the infamous Billy Beane. Didn't you guys read Moneyball??? HA!

How about Xavier Hernandez? He was an integral part of the 95 bullpen.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Well, here's an update with pictures. I tossed Ruiz and slipped Cardenas over to third even though he never played there. Oh well.

[QUOTE=redsmetz]
    1B Tony Perez

2B Mariano Duncan

3B Tony Fernandez

SS Dave Concepcion

C Bo Diaz

OF Cesar Geranimo

OF Cesar Cedeno

OF Jose Guillen

P Mario Soto

P Jose Rijo

P Dolf Luque

P Manny Sarmiento

RP Pedro Borbon

Utility Infielder - Chico Cardenas

Manager Lou Pinella

Last edited by redsmetz; 06-19-2006 at 07:04 PM.

Don't forget manuel Cueto. Along with Luque he made the Reds the most popular team in Cuba. To this day we still have an unbelievable fan base there, though they obviously don't get to watch much US ball. In fact there is a popular phrase in Cuba that generally translates to "beloved Cincinnati" that is a holdover from that era. So Potato Cueto must be on the list.

how about jorge rubio acquired by reds in a minor league transaction never pitched for reds, leo garcia tremendous infielder, pedro martinez another bullpen stalwart

Through all of this, i found it fascinating that Cookie Rojas played briefly for the Reds. I did not know this, or had forgotten this.
    He was one of my favorite nobodies with the Royals in the mid-'70s, along with Freddy Patek. Guess i had a thing for no-hit, all field middle infielders.

rojas and tony gonzalez played for the reds, gonzalez had a good career with the phils, rojas was traded to the phils for great righthander JIm Owens

Off the top of my head, I would consider Tony Fernandez as the third baseman. Saw him play there in 1995(?) for the Reds. He had what they call 'soft hands'.

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER
    Off the top of my head, I would consider Tony Fernandez as the third baseman. Saw him play there in 1995(?) for the Reds. He had what they call 'soft hands'.
    I see he did play 93 games there for us. I think I'll swap him out, although Cardenas deserves to be the utility guy for the team.

Turn Off Ads?