Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should we keep LaRue?

Should we keep LaRue?

We currently have 3 catchers and with Castro coming on board and then EE soon - another decision will have to be made. I think it's too early on this, but this year it might make sense to designate LaRue for Assignment and then we won't have to pay his salary next year. Is that right? Seems to me as long as someone picks him up we won't have to pay him this year either.

IMO I still would like to see McCrackin waived when EE comes back, but then we become a little light on OF. Just wanted to see what people thought or what opinions on LaRue and his value to the Reds right now and into next season.

Just seems to me Ross is at least as good defensively and probably better if not much better offensively. He's cheaper and even a little younger.

Thanks
    David
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should we keep LaRue?

Quote Originally Posted by Reds1
    it might make sense to designate LaRue for Assignment and then we won't have to pay his salary next year.
    Yes we will.

If we trade him, we're free and clear. If we release him, we pay his salary. If we waive him and someone makes a claim, they get him for the pro-rated minimum (162 games @ $337k or so) and we pay the rest.

Ross is younger and cheaper, but I wouldn't say he's "better" than LaRue. Assuming Jason's numbers come back to their norm, of course.

Now, we'd be trading LaRue with his stock at an all-time low and his salary at an all-time high. That probably means we wouldn't get much in return. It might be better to wait and see how he does. (Or trade Ross while he's riding high.)
    Last edited by Redsland; 06-16-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I think the Reds should keep him unless they can get a decent pitcher for him.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

They DL'd Wilson (60 day), so that delays any move until EE comes off the DL. And when that happens, Olmedo is going down.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I don't like LaRue much (I think he's awful with runners on), but really smart people here on the board have swayed me to believe he is valuable vs. what is out there in the market (there aint much). He or Valentin should be able to net something in a trade.

He needs to be playing more then, for all the reasons we know (trade value, get his swing back, etc.)

Right now, Ross is catching everyone except Ramirez.

We have to think about Giving Ross Arroyo and Claussen while
    LaRue catches Milton and Harang.
    Ross can have Ramirez when a lefty pitches for the other team.

No one is going to be happy with that, which makes it a good solution until we can trade someone.

Will we lose some games as a result? Perhaps. But Ross hit 4 HR in his last three starts and we still lost them all (no, I'm not blaming Ross).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    They DL'd Wilson (60 day), so that delays any move until EE comes off the DL. And when that happens, Olmedo is going down.
    The DL of Wilson get's him on the 40. We need to make another to get him on the 25. So we still have another decision to make. Wilson's not on the active 25 roster.

Keep Larue and get rid of Valentin
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I don't like LaRue much (I think he's awful with runners on), but really smart people here on the board have swayed me to believe he is valuable vs. what is out there in the market (there aint much). He or Valentin should be able to net something in a trade.

He needs to be playing more then, for all the reasons we know (trade value, get his swing back, etc.)

Right now, Ross is catching everyone except Ramirez.

We have to think about Giving Ross Arroyo and Claussen while
    LaRue catches Milton and Harang.
    Ross can have Ramirez when a lefty pitches for the other team.

No one is going to be happy with that, which makes it a good solution until we can trade someone.

Will we lose some games as a result? Perhaps. But Ross hit 4 HR in his last three starts and we still lost them all (no, I'm not blaming Ross).
    I think LaRue's contract negates whatever his production warrants in terms of trade value.

He has been the most obvious trade candidate all year and not even any good rumors out there. I'm afraid there is simply not much of a market for him all things considered.

That said, let Posada's hammy get worse and lets see what's what.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    I think LaRue's contract negates whatever his production warrants in terms of trade value.

He has been the most obvious trade candidate all year and not even any good rumors out there. I'm afraid there is simply not much of a market for him all things considered.

That said, let Posada's hammy get worse and lets see what's what.

I think part of the problem, aside from Larue's putrid start this season, is the worry that he may not be fully recovered from this springs' knee surgery. Add that to the seemingly weak market for catchers and I agree that it;'s going to take an injury of another teams catcher to move Larue for anything meaningful.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Sunk cost.

If you think you're in contention, you have to play the hot hand, no matter who it is.

Right now, that's Ross.

If Ross cools off, try to shine Jason up and then assess your options.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Sunk cost.

If you think you're in contention, you have to play the hot hand, no matter who it is.

Right now, that's Ross.

If Ross cools off, try to shine Jason up and then assess your options.
    I agree with that. It doesn't make sense to sit a guy who's as hot as Ross just b/c you're paying Larue more.

Move LaRue to third base, afterall it was done with Bench. jk

He does have 3 career starts at 3rd
    Go Gators!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

If LaRue gets 400 AB and plays 110 games, he's worth what he's getting paid. Problem is that we have 2 other options who are both much cheaper. At this point, you ride the hot hand or whomever the pitchers are most comfortable with. However, you also shop LaRue aggressively.

It's not that he's overpriced. It's that given our sudden wealth of catchers, he's underused. That doesn't change his potential value to other teams.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Keep Larue and get rid of Valentin

Why do you say this? Just curious. Valentin is so much cheaper and a better hitter (at least from the left side). He also is nice to have with EZ and also plays 1B. We can free up 5.5 million by DFA later in the year. It's my understanding that then we only have to pay him for this year and we free up the dollars for Relief pitching next year and we still have 2 very good catchers.

Turn Off Ads?