Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Tiger Stadium to be demolished this fall

Tiger Stadium to be demolished this fall

http://www.detroittigersweblog.com/2...wrecking-ball/

Finally, something is going to happen with Tiger Stadium. It is going to be demolished this fall. There don’t appear to be a ton of details, but the macro idea is to replace it with retail shops and housing. The area that comprises the playing field will be preserved, along with the dugouts, and used as a little league diamond and park.

I think this is all pretty good news if it comes to fruition. The city loses one more vacant building, and the field area itself will be preserved in some fashion. Also, the people in the Corktown community were invovled in the planning and are on board.

Of course there are plans to auction off anything that people will pay for.

What I really hope they’ll do is allow fans one more time to be inside the stadium. I know there are safety concerns, but people were allowed onto the field for the Super Bowl party. I’d be satisfied with that, and would even pay a nomial fee for the opportunity. It would be a chance for one last glimpse. I would be a chance to show my son where I became a Tiger fan.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tiger Stadium to be demolished this fall

They have wanted to blow that place up since the tigers left, sad they finally get their way.
    Go Gators!

I always loved to watch games on TV from Tiger Stadium. The '71 All-Star game is probably as classic as it gets in that setting. Sorry to see it go.

You knew they'd do something, some day.

Crafty waiting until the Tigers were good again.

Tiger Stadium is easily one of my favorite buildings ever.

I agree, great ballpark. I loved how, even in the upper deck, you were still right on top of the action. I always hoped they would preserve it and use it for high school athletics or something. I thought I had heard somewhere that it was originally built for football, but I could be wrong.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

to

I deeply regret never going to Tiger Stadium when I was up there.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I went the last year it was open. I loved it and you felt close to the game no matter where you were. That's the way baseball stadiums should be, IMO.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Unfortunately I've never been to the motor city, but I always did like watching Alan Trammell, Kirk Gibson and Company on the tube.

Trammell had a really great year in 87.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

We went to Tiger Stadium in 1999, I think it was, when the Reds played there. We sat in the outfield overhang one game. I walked down right behind home before the game, and it was so close, I guess is the word. It almost as though I was stepping out of time for the moment.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Turn Off Ads?