Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Send Claussen to AAA or put him in the pen??

Send Claussen to AAA or put him in the pen??

This guy is giving me a headache and they should make a decision on him very soon.He does'nt need to be a Starting pitcher so they either should move him to the pen or send him to AAA so he can HOPEFULLY find out whats wrong with him.

Have we got anybody who can take his place in the rotation??
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Send Claussen to AAA or put him in the pen??

Pen for now, he just isn't that good, nothing more.
    Go Gators!

Who would take his spot in the rotation??

I'd like to see Belisle
    Go Gators!

I thought Belisle was hurt,but if not then I agree with you I would give him a chance.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

It's pretty obvious, from Narron's comments and Marc Lancaster's blog that it will be Mays.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Claussen has no options left.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:00 AM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Claussen has no options left.
    Is that counting "failure" or not?
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

After reading this (below), I have respect for, and feel sorry for Claussen. I really don't think his struggles is from a lack of effort on his part. I have always believed it has been psychological and no faith in his own stuff. I think he demonstrates the same symptons that Reitsma did a few years ago while here - he was apprehensive about really going after/challenging the hitters.

"I'll respect whatever decision is made," Claussen said. "That's all I can do. I'll submit to the authority like I'm supposed to do. That's their job. I haven't done my job lately. If that's the decision they feel is going to help this ballclub, then I will support that decision 100 percent.... I feel like whatever decision is made is going to be the right decision. I will never argue that at all."

The nine earned runs allowed tied Claussen's career high, a mark he set this season at Milwaukee on April 22.

"I'm trying to make the best of a bad situation," Claussen said. "What can you do? It's not from a lack of effort. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude with everything I do. This game is a game of defeats sometimes. I'm just trying to do my best not to let it get the best of me. At times like this, you find out a lot about yourself."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

As for Joe May - I have no problem giving him a chance. Why not? We did the same with Yan and a few others. We really have no other options at this point.

Joe Mays

2003 Career Highlights:

Went 8-8 with a career-high 6.30 ERA in 31 games, including 21 starts...allowed 21 home runs in 130.0 innings...Opened the season by going 7-3 with a 5.40 ERA (70.0 IP, 42 ER) in his 1st 12 starts...struggled the remainder of the way, going 1-5 with a 7.35 ERA in his remaining 19 appearances (9 starts)...Pitched 6-plus innings in 4 straight starts, going 2-1 with a 4.56 ERA (25.2 IP, 13 ER) from April 13-May 1...Recorded a season-high 5 strikeouts on May 1 vs. Tampa Bay...Tied a career-high 4-game win-streak, going 4-0 with a 4.56 ERA (23.2 IP, 12 ER) from May 17-June 3...Tossed a season-high 8.0 innings at Kansas City on June 19...allowed just 6 hits and 2 earned runs in his 8th win of the season...Was sent to the bullpen on July 6...made his 1st relief appearance since Aug. 17, 2000 at Texas on July 10 at Texas...was 0-0 with a 2.79 ERA (9.2 IP, 3 ER) in 4 appearances from July 23-Aug. 2...Pitched 6-plus innings in 10 of 21 starts...was 8-7 with a 6.77 (110.1 IP, 83 ER) in 21 starts and 0-1 with a 3.66 ERA (19.2 IP, 8 ER) in 10 relief appearances...Had ulnar collateral ligament replacement surgery on his right elbow on Sept. 11.

2004 Career Highlights: missed entire season due to Tommy John surgery on right elbow.

2005 Career Highlights:

Rebounded from Tommy John surgery to post a 6-10 record and a 5.65 ERA in 31 games (26 starts)...allowed 98 earned runs in 156.0 innings...Went 4-5 with a 4.52 ERA in 15 starts at the Metrodome, compared to 2-5 with a 7.46 ERA on the road...Went 5-3 with a 4.13 ERA prior to the All-Star Break before slowing down the stretch with a 1-7 mark and an 8.22 ERA after the break...Finished the season with 10 quality starts and threw 7-plus innings in 7 starts...lasted 6-plus innings in 13 of his 26 starts...Notched 2 of his 4 wins vs. KC, going 2-0 with a 6.00 ERA in 4 starts...Made his 1st appearance of the season out of the bullpen vs. Chicago on April 8...made his 1st start vs. Detroit on April 12 and took a no decision in Minnesota's 5-4 win (5.0 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, 4 BB)...Pitched 6-plus innings in 6 consecutive starts from May 8-June 4...was 2-1 with a 3.16 ERA (42.2 IP, 15 ER) during that stretch...Tossed his 10th career complete game vs. Toronto on May 19, a 4-0 Twins win (7 H, 0 BB, 3 SO)...was his 6th career shutout and a season-high 9-inning effort...threw just 93 pitches in the game...Improved to 3-3 with a 3-1 win over the Royals on June 27 after holding KC to 6 hits and 1 run in 8.0 innings of work...Was 2-0 with a 1.80 ERA (15.0 IP, 3 ER) in 2 starts, June 27-July 3...recorded a season-high 6 strikeouts on July 17 vs. Los Angeles.

I have a strange feeeling this BP is gonna be stretched beyond belief in the second halve.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

have him completely checked for injury and then if he is ok, let him start every 5th day. I think that a lot of his troubles yesterday were do to some borderline calls in the first inning. He wasn't getting anything called in his favor except right in the middle of the plate. He couldn't get a call and then just starting laying them over the heart of the plate and then Chicago started pounding him. How's that? :

I was at the Philly game where Claussen pitched so well, and this kid has the ability to get it done. I'm really not sure if he isn't hurt.

Joe Mays is as bad, or worse than Dave Williams. Pass. It's time for Krivsky to quit sitting on his hands and go get some more pitching.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Scouts always said Brandon Claussen had that bulldog mentality, and I believe it. This guy was once, IMO, very very legit. The arm injury sapped him of his stuff. His velocity didn't come all the way back.

I thought last year he had learned how to pitch without his best stuff and really thought he would take a "harang-esque" leap forward this year - find some consistency. Unfortunately that hasn't happened. I've watched Claussen pitch well, and pitch terribly. So he's an enigma. He's still somewhat "young" - certainly not worth getting rid of. He just needs to figure it out, whatever "it" is. I really wish Ruhle was here. I think he's a bigger influence on our pitchers and staff than people think.

I wish nothing but the best for Claussen. Turn it around and have a good 2nd half. He certainly sounds like the kind of teamate i'd love to have - aside from the performance part.

And I agree with other's sentimients that Mays is not the answer. We've seen what a pleasant surprise the Lizard has been. I am a big believer in Matt Belisle. His stuff can be filthy.
    Last edited by cincyinco; 06-17-2006 at 10:42 AM.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

So, would you deal Claussen to Washington in a deal for RHP Tony Armas?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

If Claussen stays on the Reds but moves to the pen, which seems likely, it could give him a shot in the arm. I'm no pitching expert, but he seems to nibble, seems afraid to go after guys. In the first inning last night he got some tough calls, but really seemed afraid to go after Konerko and Dye. Then, when in trouble, he served one up for Crede and the game was over.

In the pen, he may change his approach, thinking that walks are poison for a reliever. If he goes after the hitters more, he could be effective as a reliever. If he continues to pitch as is, he won't be effective in any role.

If they keep him up on the Reds, maybe the bullpen will bring him better luck. Reds sure could use another effective reliever.

As for Belisle, please do not make him a starter. He failed as a starter in AAA, has back problems, and finally seems to be improving as a reliever, with more consistent outings. Just leave him where he is (I don't mean the DL). Mays is ok as a fifth starter for now.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-17-2006 at 10:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61
    Mays is ok as a fifth starter for now.
    You were making sense until that. Wow. What's OK about him? He's horrible. I think Reds fans, myself included, have been conditioned to believe it's ok to run this mess out there every 5 days. It's not OK, the problems can be fixed.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?