Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "...notoriously weak arms.." ???

"...notoriously weak arms.." ???

2/09/07
    Last edited by Ga_Red; 02-09-2007 at 03:00 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: "...notoriously weak arms.." ???

That's a new one
    Go Gators!

Iwas not aware that the rest of the league thought the Reds had weak arms - however, the ChiSox were rather aggressive on the basepaths. Seemingly more so than any other team they have faced.
    Since I do not watdch the Sox day-by-day, I do not know if this is their normal brand of baseball. In watching the Reds day-by-day, I have not noticed any other team being so aggressive against our OF.
    I certainly hope it was a fluke. Because if it was not, teams could begin to run at will on us.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I think he got his positions confused. The weak arm that hurt the Reds belonged to Brandon Claussen.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

On the brink of disaster acredsfan's Avatar

Thats funny, Griffey and Kearns have two of the better arms in MLB as far as I'm concerned, Dunn doesn't have all that strong of an arm, but it's not terrible.
    "I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual." -- House

"You guys are still thinking like doctors when you should be thinking like plumbers. Come on, I wanna see some butt crack." -- House

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I agree with that -- I don't think the outfield is subpar at throwing. They're subpar at moving. The Sox' advance scouts probably told them "they're slow getting to the ball, you can get the extra base even with a good throw."
    Not all who wander are lost

Jr.'s arm is horrible. Kearns has a very good arm and Dunn is above average, IMO. You can run on Jr. all day every day and I have noticed it a lot this season.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Those extra bases are clearly consistent with the White Sox' philosophy on the basepaths. I always thought Kearns had a good rep for throwing, but the others had some weaknesses.

I don't think this team has any clear strength except offense.
    **I'm just throwing the world curve balls.**

Click here for FalconBlog

Quote Originally Posted by Candy Cummings
    Those extra bases are clearly consistent with the White Sox' philosophy on the basepaths. I always thought Kearns had a good rep for throwing, but the others had some weaknesses.

I don't think this team has any clear strength except offense.
    I agree. After Harang and Claussen, the pitching is horrendous. The defense is as bad as any in the league.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

They're right. Junior's arm is weak these days, and so is Dunn's, IMO. Dunn's arm isn't all that bad, but he's fairly innacurate which makes his average arm strength a bigger liability. Kearns has a cannon though and you won't see alot of people running on him.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    Dunn doesn't have all that strong of an arm, but it's not terrible.
    He made a heck of a play last night with it.

Quote Originally Posted by acredsfan
    Thats funny, Griffey and Kearns have two of the better arms in MLB as far as I'm concerned, Dunn doesn't have all that strong of an arm, but it's not terrible.
    Dunn have a very strong arm. Mr. QB at Texas and he threw a seed to throw out a guy last night. His problem is he can't throw straight. I hope they continue to run as we'll throw guys out. Freel has a good arm too!
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Jr.'s arm is horrible. Kearns has a very good arm and Dunn is above average, IMO. You can run on Jr. all day every day and I have noticed it a lot this season.
    Sorry JPUP you are dead wrong on this one, Jr's arm is still one of the better CF arms in at least the NL. If you all wanna see what a "weak arm" is then watch a Yankees game, then come back and tell me that Jr is below average. The fact is we don't have a "weak arm" in that OF, although we might have an average arm (McCracken). But it's not Dunn, Griffey, Kearns or Freel.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Last night, the Chisox announcers were raving about the throws by Dunn and Kearns.

Side Note: Ken Harrelson is my very least favorite announcer.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Kearns' throw from the warning track to 3rd base when Konerko was tagging was a very strong throw. Fine, he's no Ichiro or Guillen, but I'd put him in the tier below that.

Dunn and Griffey are both probably average to above average for their positions strength wise, but Dunn's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?