Turn Off Ads?

Thread: June 16th Minor League Updates

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

June 16th Minor League Updates

It's 4:00 in the morning, I can't sleep and didn't see a thread on here giving updates -- so for this one special evening only...

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...g_box&did=milb
    Louisville 2
    Richmond 1

WP: Michalak (6-3)
    LP: Lerew (1-4)
    SV: Chiasson (6)

WHY YOU SHOULD CARE: You really shouldn't. Chris Michalak is old enough to remember asking for original Star Wars toys for Christmas and if the Reds ever become desperate enough to dip down to him for a spot start, we all might be better off taking up cricket viewing. Ryan Wagner threw a third of an inning, but just in case you're worrying he didn't get enough work, he did manage to allow a baserunner. I wouldn't click on the link either -- reading a Louisville box score is like going down a list of SNL cast members from the mid-80s -- no has beens, but a ton of "never was's."

HIGHLIGHTS:
    Michalak: 6.2IP, 8H, 0ER, 2BB, 2K
    Bergolla: 1-3, BB
    Denorfia: DNP

Chattanooga 8
    Tennessee 0

WP: Valdez (3-3)
    LP: Smith (0-1)

WHY YOU SHOULD CARE: Because Joey Votto is a beast. Plus with a name like Joey Votto, there's a good chance that he might be a made man. Votto has his OPS over .900 for the season and has 36 XBHs. He and Noochie Varner have names that just beg for James Gandolfini to operate the PA system at a Lookouts home game. Alvarado and Coutlangas have both had stout seasons thus far -- with Alvarado continuing his success in Chattanooga that he had in Sarasota.

HIGHLIGHTS
    Votto: 3-5, HR (11), 2B (23), 4 RBI (40)
    Moran: 3-5
    Varner: 1-5, 2 RBI (42) (Dare I say: "The Nooch, the Nooch, the Nooch is on fire")
    Valdez, Alvarado, and Coutlangas combine for a 2 hit shutout, striking out 11.

Dayton 5
    Southwest Michigan 2

WP: Valiquette (2-4)
    LP: Wlodarczyk (6-4)
    SV: Hendley (14)

WHY YOU SHOULD CARE: Because, contrary to popular belief, there are other starters on the Dayton Dragons besides Johnny "Cakes" Cueto and Travis Wood. Robert Manuel doubled his season strikeout total (to 14) making his second start of the year. You should also be watching for Jay Bruce, although he didn't do anything to distinguish himself this evening. Also, Adam Rosales apparently got demoted, and responded by going 2-4.

HIGHLIGHTS:
    Manuel: 5.1IP, 4H, 1ER, 0BB, 7K
    Bruce: 0-4, 1K
    Rosales: 2-4
    DeJesus: CS, Picked Off 1st, Error -- I guess somebody does, indeed, mess with de Jesus
    Szymanski: DNP

NOTE: Sarasota has the weekend off.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 06-17-2006 at 04:37 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: June 16th Minor League Updates

Because Joey Votto is a beast.
    Votto's season may be the minor league highlight of the year so far. I think he has a chance to develop into a very good offensive player in the majors. Will they use him as a trading chip, or consider him an inexpensive replacement for one of the big lefty bats, who could be dangled for pitching?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

NOTE: Sarasota has the weekend off.
    It's the FSL All-Star Game tonight, IIRC... the second half of the season starts next week.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 3-4
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 1-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

I was at the Chattanooga game last nite. In two games I've seen the Lookouts play in Tennessee, Votto has crushed the ball. Every single at bat he pounded a ball somewhere. His homerun was a no doubter.

It was also nice to see Valdez, Alvarado and Coutlangus pitch so well. They'd give me hope for the future if they weren't about 30 years old each.

Turn Off Ads?