Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lefty vs. Righty

Lefty vs. Righty

My 12-year old son throws and bats left, as well as writes lefty. My 4-year old son is a righty, but bats and throws lefty. I think he is just copying his brother. Should I continue to let him throw lefty or try to encourage him to throw righty which is probably more natural. Does anyone have any experience or thoughts about this.

p.s. ye - I know the Reds could use a lefty and he would probably be just as effective out the bullpen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lefty vs. Righty

I absolutely think you should let him continue to bat and throw lefty. Plus, if he is truly a righthander, then his master eye will probably be his right eye and his right (lead) hand will be stronger, improving his hitting.

If he has talent, he has a much better chance of helping the Reds as a lefty than as a righty. A much larger percentage of the left-handed population gets to play professional baseball than that of right-handers.

I wish I had forced my son to bat lefty when he was younger (or at least try it). He is a good hitter and fielder, not fast, but is good at 1B and 3B. If he hit left-handed, he might have a shot . . .
    Last edited by MississippiRed; 06-30-2006 at 02:03 PM.

Re: Lefty vs. Righty

If he can bat OK righty too, then work with him on both sides. Good opportunity to make him a switch hitter.

Turn Off Ads?