Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The LA Angels send 4-0 Jered Weaver back to AAA

The LA Angels send 4-0 Jered Weaver back to AAA

This is insane. Weaver is 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA, 22 Ks and a WHIP of 0.76

http://www.dailybreeze.com/sports/articles/3101311.html

By John Klima
    Daily Breeze

As he cleaned out his locker after learning that his older brother had pitched him out of the major leagues Friday night, Jered Weaver slowly walked with the lineup card from his first major league victory and carefully placed it on Jeff Weaver's chair for safe keeping.

Jeff Weaver cost his younger brother, rookie Jered, his job in the starting rotation after pitching well enough to survive, earning a no-decision in another defensive calamity of a game, a 5-4 loss to San Diego before 44,005 at Angel Stadium.

After the game, the Angels activated Cy Young Award winner Bartolo Colon from the disabled list and announced he will start Sunday. They sent Jered Weaver, the rookie right-hander who won all four of his decisions and posted a 1.37 ERA, helping to stabilize the pitching staff of the last-place team in the AL West, to triple-A Salt Lake.

"It's tough for me," said Jeff Weaver, who allowed three runs and seven hits in six innings, but walked none for only the second time in 14 starts and struck out a season-high nine. "(Jered) is the odd man out being the young guy. It's kind of a strange feeling. I had a lot of fun while he was here and expect to see him back. He belongs."

The Angels lost in the ninth inning when catcher Mike Napoli's throw to third base in a 4-4 game wound up in left field when the throw handcuffed third baseman Dallas McPherson. It allowed Khalil Greene, who was trying to advance on a sacrifice bunt, to score the winning run for the Padres (35-32). It was the major-league leading 48th unearned run the Angels (30-37) allowed this year.

While the Angels threw away another victory, it was clear before the game started that Jeff Weaver was pitching for his job in the starting rotation. When Manager Mike Scioscia said the Angels would wait until the end of the night on Friday to decide if the veteran Weaver would be banished to the bullpen, it was clear that Colon, who had thrown a 40-pitch bullpen session before the game, was ready to come off the disabled list, where he has been since April 19 because of shoulder inflammation.

Jered Weaver was stone faced after being told that he was returning to triple-A Salt Lake to start Sunday against Las Vegas instead of facing the Padres at Angel Stadium.

"I just have to go back and work on what I've been doing," he said. "I want to get back here as soon as possible."

That could happen sooner than later, depending on how Colon's shoulder responds Sunday. Jeff Weaver, who could find himself as trade bait if the Angels decide to assume most of the responsibility for his one-year, $8.4 million contract, continued to improve.

"There's a lot of things that can happen," Scioscia said. "The dust hasn't settled."

Jeff Weaver's fastball command and velocity were sharp and his out-pitch, the sinker, had exceptional bite. When Weaver did find himself in jams, he took it upon himself to pitch his way out of trouble rather than trust his defense, and recorded a season-high nine strikeouts.

Weaver, who left leading 4-3 and received a no-decision, needed 75 pitches to get through four innings, partly because of his own error in the third inning and Mike Cameron's infield single off the chest of McPherson.

With a 3-0 lead in the fourth courtesy of Garret Anderson's RBI single in the first and Juan Rivera's two-run home run in the second, Weaver allowed a leadoff single to Adrian Gonzalez. He struck out Josh Bard, but Rivera couldn't find Mark Bellhorn's routine fly ball in left field. The ball landed untouched, leaving runners at second and third and Weaver staring at the sky.

The right-hander struck out Greene looking, but Josh Barfield pulled Weaver's first pitch down the left-field line for a two-run double to cut the lead to 3-2. Gonzalez hit Weaver's only clear mistake, a hanging 87 mile-per-hour sinker, into right field to tie the score.

Weaver left with a 4-3 lead in the sixth inning after Anderson led off the bottom of the inning with his sixth home run of the year, but the Padres tied the score against reliever Hector Carrasco in the seventh inning.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Re: The LA Angels send 4-0 Jered Weaver back to AAA

We'll take him!

This looks like a pitcher that the Reds should try to make a trade for. It looks like he would be a good upgrade to the rotatio.

Bill Stoneman's getting senile in his old age.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'll have to make changes to the old fantasy team now.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

This stinks. He's on my fantasy team.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph
    I'll have to make changes to the old fantasy team now.
    Thank goodness I'm only in an NL-only league.

Retired

They are looking for bats right? I think I read they were, get on the phone Wayne.

I wouldn't assume that the Angels are willing to trade Jer. Weaver just b/c they sent him down.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I wouldn't assume that the Angels are willing to trade Jer. Weaver just b/c they sent him down.
    I agree... they didn't send him to AAA becuase they don't want him. He will be back.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Ridiculous....this hurts my fantasy team and well, probably hurts the angels too.

He's the Chris Denorfia of the Angels farm system. They know what he can do, he can pitch on his usual schedule, and most importantly, he has options left.

THere is no way the Angels would move Weaver, except for Dunn which isn't going to happen.

They are making a mistake as his brother Jeff should be the one who goes to the bullpen so Jered could continue to pitch well in the MLs. He will be back within a month tops.

He also was on my fantasy team.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33
    THere is no way the Angels would move Weaver, except for Dunn which isn't going to happen.

They are making a mistake as his brother Jeff should be the one who goes to the bullpen so Jered could continue to pitch well in the MLs. He will be back within a month tops.

He also was on my fantasy team.
    He's on like 7 of my 16 teams.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    He's on like 7 of my 16 teams.
    Dude, you need a hobby.

Turn Off Ads?