Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Three Recent Surprises From The Bullpen

Hybrid View

Three Recent Surprises From The Bullpen

Current earned run averages from some of the middle relief guys show

J. Mays @ 1.29
    E. Yan @ 3.52
    R. White @ 4.36 (just over his most recent 10 1/3 innings, that is).

I like the way Mays' fastball moves away from the lefty hitters, and so far he seems able to command his breaking pitch (slider?).

Each guy has been getting something other than his fastball in the zone, sorta kinda, almost like Arroyo and last night's Sox pitcher, Freddie Garcia. It even looks like White has been mixing in more two-seamers and even a changeup.

"I threw a lot of strikes, had a good change-up and a good slider," Garcia said after Friday's game. "That's the way I should pitch. My last three or four starts, I tried to throw hard. That doesn't work for me."

I wish more of the staff would take lessons from Arroyo and Garcia.

Re: Three Recent Surprises From The Bullpen

Mays should start with the way Claussen has pitched.
    ...And this one belongs to the Reds!!

Quote Originally Posted by Far East
    Current earned run averages from some of the middle relief guys show...
    How are they doing with inherited runners? (That's more important than ERA for relievers, IMHO.)
    Makes all the routine posts.

Rick White is horrendous. The other 2 are close behind.

Mays wasn't so good with inherited runners last night.

Those ERAs must hide a lot of woes.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

3 recent bad things

3 different RP give up runs in the 7th, 8th, and 9th and we lose the chace to beat a great pitcher. Milton also loses the win. This pen sucks and we are taking Mays out of it.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Lies, (darned) lies, and statistics.

This bullpen sucks. Even Coffey's getting hit now.

Show me ERA's all you want (and quite a selective time period, btw - what, have we seen Joe Mays twice now? He's obviously the second coming of Norm Charlton). Show me how many leads this bullpen has blown and how many inherited runners have scored.

I don't give a hell if Rick White is mixing in a 7 seam fastball. He's a complete joke. If Rick White were a barber, he'd have to use a Flowbee to cut hair. It literally makes me sick to my stomach that this guy makes exponentially more than I do to fire meatballs at Major League hitters. My girlfriend can throw a bowling ball faster than Chris Hammond's fastball, and I'd make a healthy wager that my aforementioned g/f would have a lower ERA than Mr. Hammond, even if she was bowling baseballs. Kent Mercker sucks. Esteban Yan sucks. Dave Weathers sucks. Todd Coffey's caught the virus and is starting to suck. Mike Burns and Brian Shackelford both sucked.

It's ridiculous when you get pissed off at your manager every time he calls a pitcher in from the bullpen. "(Dangit) Narron - Mercker is freaking awful!! He can't get us an out here!" "(Dangit) Narron - Hammond is freaking awful!! He can't get us an out here!" "(Dangit) Narron - Rick White??? We still pay this guy?

I could do that ^^^^ all night. You get the picture.

It would be impossible and quite unpleasant to imagine a worse major league bullpen than we have. It is also quite unpleasant to look at our options in AAA. Disgusting that is has come to this.

BTW - wt(h) happened to Ryan Wagner???
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Love the rant and couldn't agree more! JN certainly doesn't have much to choose from.

To answer your question, Wagner sucks too this year... but at least he's in Louisville.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone
    Love the rant and couldn't agree more! JN certainly doesn't have much to choose from.

To answer your question, Wagner sucks too this year... but at least he's in Louisville.
    Sorry - misleading at the end of the rant there. I know where he is, I'm just perplexed as to how he went from being a promising future closer in his rookie year (fresh out of college w/almost no minor league experience) to a train wreck in his 3rd season.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

Turn Off Ads?