Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oilers over Canes?

Oilers over Canes?

I don't really know the first thing about hockey. Friends have to explain offsides to me repeatedly and I still don't understand what the referee is doing when he holds his hands out...like an NFL TV timeout signal. And every time I watch a hockey match it seems perfectly obvious that this game was invented by a group of drunken lumberjacks. After all, what else is there for men- full of beer and lacking female contact- but to carry sticks, go really fast and knock each other around? In some way, it's the perfect sport, even if I can't figure out what the heck they are doing half the time.

Anyway, I am so rooting for the Oilers now, first and foremost because I don't believe the Stanley Cup should be won by any team located in a state where the lakes won't freeze. But beyond that, these guys came out last night and just dominated the Canes. They were everywhere, all over the place, and nasty when they needed to be. From a completely ignorant, uninformed perspective, even I could tell they had that game in hand.

Lastly, I was taken up by the enthusiasm of the Oilers fans. Go Oilers!
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oilers over Canes?

Yeah I'm rooting for the Oilers as well. I saw a really excellent "Outside the Lines" about Edmonton and their fans and their love of the Oilers. They have suffered for a long time since the Gretzky/Messier glory days, heck they thought they might lose their team: Great story and it'd be cool if they won it.

Hearing them all singing "Oh Canada" last night gave me goosebumps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

I'm in the minority, but I say Go Canes! Being a native of WV, I know too many people that live in the Triangle to not cheer for Carolina.

Skate, skate, skate... the Oilers have never stopped skating and that is a major reason why they've stuck around, that and the Canes just don't have teh defense to lock it down in their zone, the Oilers just press and create mistakes.

I'm a west fan of NHL, tends to be a bit faster and less grinding (though the Canes are more west style the east) So I'm all for the Oilers... Monday night should be a treasure, not many game sevens in the world. This one should be good.

Man Pills

When's Jai-Alai season start?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    Right before college basketball betting season I think.

Go Oilers!

My supervisor just left us and moved back to Canada, about 4 hours north of Edmonton. Carolina having a hockey team is just wrong imo. If they were still in Hartford, maybe I'd be more partial to them, but since I have silly Canadian friends now I'd like to see them have something to brag about.
    "When the Russians conquer America, they will recruit concentration camp guards from among Cardinals fans."

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer
    It never ends!

http://www.fla-gaming.com/miami/geninfo.htm
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

One Yankee vote for the Albertaionians.

After what the Oilers went through after Pockington drug them through the mud, they deserve it.

And Edmonton-Hartford final would have been classic.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'd prefer a Carolina win being as I'm a Flyers fan and they've got a number of players (Mark Recchi, Rod Brind'Amour, Justin Williams) who were very productive players in Philadelphia, but an Oilers win would be a good story as well.

Go Canada

Cause they don't have many teams left of their national sport.
    Go Gators!

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

I didnt care one way or the other, just wanted a good series and got that. Originally I was pulling for Edmonton, but by last night was so tired of hearing the folks here (Buffalo) whine about how it should have been them, I started to secretly hope Carolina did win. (And I am a Sabre fan and will be a 2006-07 season ticket holder).

Carolin did a terrific job, Ward was very good in net and most importantly, it was an entertaining, well played series. Looking forward to next season.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Final was a tight one, I would not have bet that teh Canes woudl get both their goals from defensemen. The Oilers and the Canes both got quick leads in teh last 2 games and then locked into a classic defensive position, it didn't make the last two very pretty to watch and the fact was the Oilers couldn't force the puck in anymore (I don't remember seeing so many up close goals since Esposito) Pronger and Peca are defensive beasts, but the Oilers could have used a scorer aside for Pisani.

As Wings fan I'll offer Jason Williams and draft choice for Roloson.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

WOY - any interest in Marty Biron? He is going to be moved this off season by the Sabres...not sure to who.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    As Wings fan I'll offer Jason Williams and draft choice for Roloson.
    As an Oilers fan, I'll reply...no soup for you.

By the way, I agree with what you said about Pisani. His fourteen goals in these playoffs tell me that they rode that horse just about all that they could.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Turn Off Ads?