Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Homer Bailey to be promoted?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Homer Bailey to be promoted?

LAKELAND – It’s rather commonplace for player promotions to be announced during Minor League Baseball All-Star Game weekends.

Though neither Cincinnati or Sarasota Reds officials would comment “on the record,” regarding one of the hottest rumors at Saturday night’s 45th Florida State League All-Star Game at breezy Joker Marchant Stadium, it revolved around the organization’s No. 1 amateur draft selection from 2004.

And, if SaraReds power-pitching right-hander Homer Bailey made his last appearance with the Class A-Advanced affiliate before moving up to the Chattanooga Lookouts of the Double A Southern League, it indeed was outstanding in front of 5,946 spectators.

Interesting.... you can read the entire article here
    http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb.../60618003/1006

Re: Homer Bailey to be promoted?

That would be a awfull move. He is just now showing consistant command of his stuff recently, I would at least wait another month of consistancy before moving him up. The Yankees moved Hughes up to AA to quick which has caused him some struggle and he has more advanced command than Bailey.

Almost a Bowdenesque desperation move.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    That would be a awfull move. He is just now showing consistant command of his stuff recently, I would at least wait another month of consistancy before moving him up. The Yankees moved Hughes up to AA to quick which has caused him some struggle and he has more advanced command than Bailey.

I say go for it. He has dominated high A for 1/2 yr, let him finish the season out at Chattanooga.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis

Hughes has had slight struggle, but the thing that he has struggled with is his command. in AA he has 16 walks in 47 innings, in High A, he had 2 in 30 innings. I think Bailey will be ok in AA right now. When he is on, I think he will be just fine, I just dont know how he will be when he isnt all there with his command.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Hughes has had slight struggle, but the thing that he has struggled with is his command. in AA he has 16 walks in 47 innings, in High A, he had 2 in 30 innings. I think Bailey will be ok in AA right now. When he is on, I think he will be just fine, I just dont know how he will be when he isnt all there with his command.
    If somebody with "better" command in Hughes, gets worse in AA because he isn't quite up to the challenge, how will even more green pitcher in Bailey handle AA? Not good. Horrid move, hopefully that rumor dies.

Maybe Hughes is now walking more becuase his "stuff" isnt as good and now his out pitch is being fouled off by more advanced hitters. Bailey has better pure stuff than does Hughes, he just doesnt have the command. I dont really know why Hughes is walking the batters he is now, I was just laying out a scenario, but I dont think it would be a bad idea so much if he were to see Chattanooga soon.

I think they should leave him is Sarasota all year.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Aronchis being this board's personal reality/slap in the face, is pretty much on target on this. I agree with him on this.

Hopefully, the new Reds regime continues to throw water on the idea that any time a player experiences sustained success he must be promoted. I for one have had all I can stand of the 'Peter Principal' philosophy employed by previous Reds front offices.

Leave Bailey in the FSL and let him experience what it feels like to be 'the man' in a professional league, where every team is gunning for you and it is taken for granted that you will dominate every fifth day. Let him develop in the crucible of high expectations rather than sending him to AA where merely 'holding his own' will be considered a success.

If he can put together a whole year of dominant performances, that should help him develop the confidence and swagger required of a true 'ace' pitcher.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I'd fall somewhere in the middle on this one- let Homer stay for now, then go up to AA if he's still doing well in a month. That way he can get eight or ten starts in Chattanooga.

In addition, the Lookouts are likely going to the playoffs. That might be a nice reward for a good year.

Turn Off Ads?