Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Three Big Crowds the Weekend--How many were Chisox Fans?

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Three Big Crowds the Weekend--How many were Chisox Fans?

Just curious. From the sound of the crowd when the Sox would do something, about half came down from Chicago.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Re: Three Big Crowds the Weekend--How many were Chisox Fans?

Too many... Chicago fans of both teams seem to be very loud...
    When I go to Cleveland next weekend, I'll politely cheer but I'll be alone and enemy territory.
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 16-14
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    Too many... Chicago fans of both teams seem to be very loud...
    When I go to Cleveland next weekend, I'll politely cheer but I'll be alone and enemy territory.
    Sounded like it. Kitty, I hope you have something to cheer about next weekend.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I was there last night and there seemed to be a lot of Chicago fans but not half. I was so happy to see that White Sox fans are just as obnoxious and annoying as Cubs fans.

yes, there were too many therei would say that easily one third of the crowd were sox fans...the thing that i found most annoying about it was that they did the same cheer that cub fans do whenever they're in an opposing ballpark...sox fans notoriously hate cub fans, but here they are immitating them...ironic, don't ya think:

the hyatt was loaded with sox fans...

i think it's a shame that more cincy fans don't follow their club to opposing ballparks...

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake
    I was there last night and there seemed to be a lot of Chicago fans but not half. I was so happy to see that White Sox fans are just as obnoxious and annoying as Cubs fans.
    while i don't like the "let's go white sox (or cubs) cheer", if reds fans were more willing to buy a ticket, or at least be more vocal, all those opposing fans wouldn't be heard

friday night i had about 10 sox fans immediately around me in section 126...all were fine, just being fans of their team...saturday night, i had about 15 fans around me in section 133 and the same thing could be said...

You should see it in St. Louis when the Cubs come to town. I haven't been to any Cards/Cubs games this year, but last year had some of the loudest games. There were chears for absolutely everything. It sounded like half of the fans were Cubs fans, but both the Cards and Cubs fans were equally loud. There was no down time, because when one set of fans wasn't cheering, the other set was screaming their lungs out.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Chicago

i think it's a shame that more cincy fans don't follow their club to opposing ballparks...
    Probably has a lot to do with W's and L's.

teams fresh off a WS win seem to have more avid fans than teams mired in mediocrity for a decade or so.

while i don't like the "let's go white sox (or cubs) cheer", if reds fans were more willing to buy a ticket, or at least be more vocal, all those opposing fans wouldn't be heard

friday night i had about 10 sox fans immediately around me in section 126...all were fine, just being fans of their team...saturday night, i had about 15 fans around me in section 133 and the same thing could be said...
    I dont have a problem with someone cheering for their team, my problem is that alot of Cubs fans and some of the White Sox fans that I have sat around are drunk clowns who just scream the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc D
    Probably has a lot to do with W's and L's.

teams fresh off a WS win seem to have more avid fans than teams mired in mediocrity for a decade or so.
    the cubs have been mired in mediocrity forever, yet milwaukee, cincy and st. louis have more than their share of cub fans in the park...just sayin'

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life
    You should see it in St. Louis when the Cubs come to town. I haven't been to any Cards/Cubs games this year, but last year had some of the loudest games. There were chears for absolutely everything. It sounded like half of the fans were Cubs fans, but both the Cards and Cubs fans were equally loud. There was no down time, because when one set of fans wasn't cheering, the other set was screaming their lungs out.
    Same holds true for when the Cardinals come into Chicago. The Cubs fans and Cardinals fans are constantly ribbing each other and heckling the teams on the field. I remember at the end of their first series this year, the Cubs fans were chanting "SWEEP! SWEEP! SWEEP!" non-stop as the third game wrapped up.

As the Cubs have gotten progressively worse, however, people have stopped coming out on the road. In past years, tons of Cubs fans would pop up everywhere from LA to Yankee Stadium to Florida. This year...that's kind of gone downhill. They're officially on pace for 100 losses, impressively enough.

Cub fans wear the badge of cursed loser and wear it proudly, if that team ever won anything half their fan base would leave.

They the bizarro team of MLB.
    Go Gators!

the cubs have been mired in mediocrity forever, yet milwaukee, cincy and st. louis have more than their share of cub fans in the park...just sayin'
    Cubs fans are the exception to the rule. They haven't won in 100 years and fill that stadium daily. They revel in their loser status, most normal folk like to see a little something from their team before they start road tripping.

It's always this way for interleague play, particularly when the cities are as close as these two are, and it's a weekend, and these are two teams that (according to the standings) are doing well. When schedules come out, people look for interleague games for which to travel, and the White Sox fans -- who are buying a lot of tickets right now -- presumably saw a good weekend (father's Day) series that wasn't too far away and probably had tickets months in advance. For Reds fans, their team is there half the year; they're probably not as diligent at really looking at specific home games ahead of time, so a lot of seats were probably sold to Sox fans months ago. The reason they were so noticeable is because they swept us. Had the Reds done so -- or even, you know, won a single freaking game -- the Reds fans would have been louder.

I saw the Tigers play the Cubs this weekend; it was the same way. cubs fans are notoriously loud, but they were silenced by the numerous, loud Detroit fans. I really don't think the White Sox fans outnumbered the Reds ones nor are they inherently "better fans"; there were just a decent amount given the circumstances and they were given more reason to cheer.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Granted, the sweep was painful. But it should bring us all comfort to know that the Reds lightened the wallets of all of those out of town fans. Every ticket sold, every hot dog eaten and every beverage consumed at GABP during those games helped fill the coffers of our favorite team.

The next time the Reds sign a player to a big contract, don't forget to thank those White Sox fans.

Turn Off Ads?