Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Milton ever be tradable?

GOREDSGO32

Will Milton ever be tradable?

Will he ever get to the point this year before the trade deadline when he is tradable and another team will pickup the rest of his salary this year and his option for next? I think he will have to get that ERA around 4 to do that. Teams in the playoff race will make some pretty average pitchers a hot commodity, but a bad pitcher still isn't going to move up the ranks as being tradable do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Milton ever be tradable?

I don't think Milton is going anywhere. He looked like he was healthy at the beginning of the year and I had hope that they performed some miracle on his knee to make him a somewhat effective starter, but that didn't last long.

Unless he rubs a genie lamp and someone gives him a brand new knee, he's going to be property of the Cincinnati Reds until they can DFA him (possibly next year ) and afford the sunk cost.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

If the Reds offer to pay his entire deal, sure.
    Go Gators!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The paradox here is that if his numbers were good enough to make him tradable, the Reds wouldn't have an interest in trading him.

I think it's too early to answer that question, to even speculate.

He pitched decent in ST and in April, until the knee thing. Now that the knees cleaned up, maybe he'll pitch half-way decent again... after getting his rehab at the major league level out of the way.

Or maybe he won't. But for sure, we have to wait and see.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

With his current contract, I would highly doubt he could ever become very tradeable, unless the Reds offer to pay the majority of his salary. What concerns me is that even if the Reds could trade him, what other option in the organization would be an improvement?

GOREDSGO32

With today's game, that moved him in a very good position to be tradable. His ERA is down to 5.51 ... a couple more games like this will get him in a very tradeable situation. The question is though, if he becomes a quality starter, do we keep him or trade him? I think we have to trade if we can ... we need youth, we need future stars, and we need salary.

Maybe with a few more starts like tonight he will, but by then, we might want to keep him.....

wouldn't we???
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

GOREDSGO32

Well, maybe, I'm just saying how long before the inevitable that he implodes or gets injured? Guys who break MLB records for HR's and ERA usually don't suddenly turn into #1 dominant starters. Drop it while its hot.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    With today's game, that moved him in a very good position to be tradable. His ERA is down to 5.51 ... a couple more games like this will get him in a very tradeable situation. The question is though, if he becomes a quality starter, do we keep him or trade him? I think we have to trade if we can ... we need youth, we need future stars, and we need salary.
    I gotta disagree. A couple more games like this I think we have to keep him. This team is capable of winning now and a lefty who can pitch like Milton did tonight consistantly is hard to find. The question is, can he be consistant?

GOREDSGO32

You assume he will stay like that, he isn't going to. Trade him while he's hot. As much as you wanna believe this is the year, the future is the key. You don't stunt a chance to get rid of a salary drain just because has a few good couple games. Do you really want to wait till August when he gets hurt or implodes, the Reds fall out of the playoff chase, and you are saying 'oh man I knew we should have traded him when we had the chance!'. LaRue and/or Valentine should have been traded the same was at the end of last year, now they are batting in the .220's.

Quote Originally Posted by GOREDSGO32
    You assume he will stay like that, he isn't going to.
    Why do you so easily assume that? You say that guys who break MLB records for home runs given up and ERA don't suddenly turn into #1 starters, well I can turn that around. You can also say guys like Milton who has shown in the past he can pitch, don't suddenly forget how to. There seems to be a legitimate reason as to he decline last season and he did pitch well in his first two starts before the inury popped up. The injury is taken care of and he pitched tonight like he did his first two starts. Unless the injury returns there is no reason to think he can't continue it.

I'm not about to say he will be a #1 starter, but he is fully capable of being a quality #3.

GOREDSGO32

He played for the Twins, and still was a MLB leader in HR's. Now he plays in a very HR friendly park, and last year broke records.

This is the Reds we don't pay 10 mil or so for a #3 starter. Why the sudden Milton support? We don't need an aging starter that was absolutely terrible draining the teams salary.

That's the problem. History tells us that even if he regains form he is a 4.00 to 4.50 ERA guy. That was the problem with the deal in the first place -- he was being overpaid even if he pitched as expected.

Perceived value aside, it will be nearly impossible to trade him without eating salary because he was overpaid to begin with.

So . . . we better hope he turns it around and we see more of what we saw tonight so that we realize some return on him.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    The question is, can he be consistant?
    History says no chance.

He had some great games last year.
    Go Gators!

Turn Off Ads?