Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Billings and GCL Reds rosters released

Re: Billings and GCL Reds rosters released

Justin Turner and Danny Dorn are still playing in the College World Series for Cal State Fullerton. Eddy Rodriguez is still playing for Miami in the CWS. It appears that Turner and Dorn will sign after they are finished playing. I have not heard about Rodriguez plans to sign.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

"Daniel Guerrero, a 6-foot-1 right-hander, will be on the mound tonight for the Mustangs. Guerrero was signed as a free agent out of Tecuala, Mexico, last year and he went 2-1 with a 3.08 ERA in 14 games for the Reds' Venezuelan Summer League team."

Hmm. Interesting prospect to look out for. The only '05 Latin FA on the Billings roster and making the start in the first game of the season. Also, one of the younger guys on the team. Hopefully another Cueto in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862
    Justin Turner and Danny Dorn are still playing in the College World Series for Cal State Fullerton.
    Doh!

I should have known that. The good news is, it sounds like the Reds have already reached a verbal agreement with Turner if they are already telling the Mustangs to make plans for his arrival in Billings.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook
    Doh!

I should have known that. The good news is, it sounds like the Reds have already reached a verbal agreement with Turner if they are already telling the Mustangs to make plans for his arrival in Billings.
    And given that posted article from yesterday, Dorn is in the same boat.

Valaika is already signed, but he probably won't play in the first game or two since it was a little later than most of the other guys.

The GCL roster has been updated a bit.

Richie Gardner is now listed on the roster, 11th round pick Brandon Rice(6'4 210) has been added and 3B by the name of Juan Francisco has been added.

Francisco is interesting. He's listed as only 18 years old, he switch hits, and has a solid frame of 6'2" 180. I wonder where he came from?
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Also, just noticed that Robbie Nickols is no longer on the GCL roster.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Where did Jarred Leach come from? He is 18, and was not drafted last year or this year.... I found a little bit of information on him, but it doesnt appear he was drafted unless I am totally missing the ball on him. Anyone have any information?

Jenny

I can't wait to see my little brother, Jarred Leach #39, play! We are all so proud of him!

Welcome to the board Jenny. What can you tell us about your brother Jarred Leach? Did you know Coffeybro is Todd Coffeys brother? What other family members of players are on the board?

Jenny

Steve Kring that signed Todd Coffey, also signed my brother.

Jenny

Jarred is from Union County, which is in Blairsville, Ga. He was lucky enough to not have to go through the draft...A Reds Scout saw him @ a Braves tryout and he was contacted a year later. They watched him pitch and signed him immediately. He was gone a week later. He is now in Sarasota, Fl.

Thanks for the information Jenny. I saw his name and his age and I couldnt find where we had drafted him, so I just assumed that he must have been an undrafted free agent. Hope he does well for the Reds!

Thanks for the update Jenny on your brother. I hope he does well.

Jenny

Thank You for the well wishes!

Jenny

Blairsville, GA
    Weather

For local news delivered via email enter address here:
    Marketplace:

Services

Automotive

Entertainment

Dine Out

Home & Garden

Gifts

Classifieds
    News
    Front Page
    Calendar
    Community
    Opinion
    Church
    Obituaries
    Arts & Leisure
    Home & Garden
    Sports & Recreation
    Information
    Union County
    Union Sentinel
    Links
    Contact Us
    Services
    Subscribe
    Display Advertising
    Place a Classified
    News Archive
    Search Archive

Poll

Do you prefer the new banner or old banner on the Union Sentinel?
    New
    Old

View votes
    Copyright© 2005-2006
    Union Sentinel
    All Rights Reserved

Newspaper web site content management software and services

RSS

Add to My Yahoo!

Front Page May 25, 2006

Local teen signs with MLB team
    Jarred Leach to play for Reds' minor league team
    By JARED PUTNAM

Blairsville's Jarred Leach flips a baseball during a reception held for him Tuesday afternoon.
    Jarred Leach has played baseball since he was 4 years old. He's been pitching since his teams stopped hitting off of tees. Throughout that time, he's had one dream: to be a Major League Baseball player. The Cincinnati Reds gave Leach that opportunity this past week, signing him prior to this year's MLB draft.

"He threw very well [in the private workouts]," said Steve Kring, South Atlantic Scouting Supervisor for the Cincinnati Reds. Kring said that the organization checked with Major League Baseball to see if Leach had to go through the draft, but found out that they could simply sign him outright.

Leach has already gone to Sarasota, Fla., to join the Sarasota Reds, the Class (A) affiliate of the major league club.

Kring said he is excited about having Leach in the Reds organization. "The thing that's impressive about him is that he's still just 18 years old," said Kring, who explained that he threw very well in workouts despite having not played baseball in a year." Kring said that when in top form Leach can throw in the low 90s and that he liked his fastball and power breaking ball. Kring described finding a kid Leach's age with those physical tools and size, 6'2' and 205 lbs., as "a dream come true." Said Kring, "That just doesn't happen every day."

In fact, Leach's road to the Reds was one filled with a number of detours. The process started when he went for an Atlanta Braves tryout last summer. Leach said that he felt like he did "horrible" at the tryout. But he caught the eye of a Reds scout who happened to be there. That scout told Kring about Leach and explained that the Braves could not sign him because they had no open roster slots.

After that "he kind of dropped off the planet," said Kring, who believed that Leach was going to play baseball at Young Harris College. However, Kring explained that Leach stayed in the back of his mind over the months, and he finally decided to track him down and find out what he was doing.

For the past year Leach has been working full time, and Kring said he believes that experience has been good for him. "The maturity level for him was unbelievable."

Kring compared Leach's demeanor to another pitcher that he once signed, current Reds set-up man Todd Coffey. Kring signed Coffey out of high school at only 17 years of age. Coffey has been practically unhittable this year, posting a 0.65 ERA thus far."I saw that same look in his eyes and in his talk, that I did in Jarred," said Kring.

As for Leach, he is still trying to absorb everything that has happened to him. "It feels weird to say that I'm a professional baseball player," said Leach. "It's been my dream ever since I was three feet tall. It's just a great feeling. It's kind of cool to go out to the mall and buy a cap for the team I play for."

Leach said his most memorable game was one in which he rang up 17 strikeouts [in 7 innings] in a varsity game for the Union County Panthers. He also played on an AAU team called the East Cobb Astros, a team that has been ranked number one in the nation. Asked who his favorite baseball player was, Leach named Greg Maddux. "He's been my hero since I was little."

Both of Leach's parents are very proud of him. His father Steve Leach talked about both his past and future.

"Everywhere he has went he's had success. He's a good kid and he'll really enjoy it." The elder leach said that while the family is sad that he's leaving Blairsville, everyone is excited about the opportunity he has. "I think he's got a good future and [the scouts] say he's got a good future in baseball."

His mother Debbie Leach reiterated just how much baseball means to him. She said that her son had quoted Tommy Lasorda as his senior quote, saying,"The saddest day of the year is the last day of baseball season." Said Leach's mother, "We're very proud of him and I'm going to miss him terribly."

Panthers varsity baseball Head Coach Robby Roxbury served as an assistant coach through Leach's first three years on the team and was his head coach during his senior year in 2005. Coach Roxbury said he is just glad that somebody finally got to see the talent that Leach has. "It's awesome to have somebody go to that level," said Coach Roxbury. "We knew he had the stuff with the speed of his pitch, the velocity he was throwing, and three pitches."

Kring said that in Sarasota Leach will take part in extended spring training and will be tested and put on an exercise program to get him ready just as if he had reported last February for spring training.

Kring also noted that he had already received complimentary feedback on his signing of Leach. Said Al Getz, a Braves Scouting Supervisor, "You've made a good signing."

Click ads below
    for larger version

System and Method for Display
    Ads have a Patent Pending.
    Click Here for More Information

Turn Off Ads?