Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXTRA TOP SECRET!!! Italian World Cup Training Video TOP SECRET!!!

Re: EXTRA TOP SECRET!!! Italian World Cup Training Video TOP SECRET!!!

NJReds and dabvu, you are both right in the players you select, but the fact that you can name the player, and in dabvu's case even the specific time shows that it is not that common of an event. There's not doubt it happens, but it also happens in (american) football, a contact sport. Its just a lot more noticable in soccer. To me, the biggest difference is that in soccer they don't just act like there was contact, they act hurt.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    To me, the biggest difference is that in soccer they don't just act like there was contact, they act hurt.
    Yeah, you're right about the hurt part.

There are several other "flop artists" in the NBA. Like every 6'3-6-7 guy in the Eastern Conference when Lebron James has the ball.

As an aside, I had the privilege of watching a Michigan State mens basketball practice in East Lansing. Izzo got out football pads and helmets for 2 rebounding drills and charge drill. It was un-freakin-believeable. Sorta the anti-Italian National Team practice.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Manu Ginobili is one of the best floppers in the NBA. Me thinks this is because he comes from what is a soccer country in Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    I applaud the ref for showing cards to all the actors. That's the only way it will ever stop.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

It's not just the Italians. Did you ever see the Mexican national team? Actually any game w/Latin American players. Well...pretty much soccer in general.

For a Level Playing Field

And don't kid yourself: discussing racist/classist epithets is a political discussion, regardless whether or not the words "Democrat" or "Republican" are mixed in.
    Does this apply to labeling the athletes of an entire nation? Not that I care about the Italian, Mexican or any South American soccer teams. Just want things to be consistent.

Cannot remember who said the above, but can that person step up and let us know if this thread is too political for their personal tastes? If not, perhaps they can make posts that turn the tide so that it will be shut down by a mod.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Does this apply to labeling the athletes of an entire nation? Not that I care about the Italian, Mexican or any South American soccer teams. Just want things to be consistent.

Cannot remember who said the above, but can that person step up and let us know if this thread is too political for their personal tastes? If not, perhaps they can make posts that turn the tide so that it will be shut down by a mod.

Thanks!
    ::dodges shrapnel::

Is it a stereotype if it's true?

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    It's not just the Italians. Did you ever see the Mexican national team? Actually any game w/Latin American players. Well...pretty much soccer in general.
    Anglo-Saxons typically don't dive... Brits, Scots, Micks, Aussies, and Yanks

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Anglo-Saxons typically don't dive... Brits, Scots, Micks, Aussies, and Yanks
    Actually, the Scots and Micks aren't Anglo-Saxons, if I can be allowed that one nit to pick. That could go for a large number of the white Aussies as well.

Don't mistake a Celt for a Saxon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglosphere

The term incorporates ideas about history, geography, politics, legal systems, and economics, and its definition is necessarily loose.[1] It can mean just English-speaking nations, or it may mean all the nations which use legal systems based on Common law. It can also be seen as an expansion of Atlanticism, a much older concept in international relations, to include Pacific nations such as Australia and New Zealand. It also fills a gap in the English vocabulary corresponding roughly to the French phrase le monde Anglo-Saxon. Thus, it could carry a wide variety of connotations.

According to Bennett, "the Anglosphere is not a club that a person or nation can join or be excluded from, but a condition or status on a network",[2] and

... as a network civilization ... without a corresponding political form, has necessarily imprecise boundaries. Geographically, the densest nodes of the Anglosphere are found in the United States and the United Kingdom, while Anglophone regions of Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, and South Africa are powerful and populous outliers. The educated English-speaking populations of the Caribbean, Oceania, Africa and India pertain to the Anglosphere to various degrees.[3]
    Historian Robert Conquest has also promoted the concept.[4] John Ibbitson of the Canadian newspaper The Globe and Mail identified five core English-speaking countries with common sociopolitical heritage and goals: Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Writer Mark Steyn, who uses the term often, takes it to denote the nations that were or have been part of the British Empire for a significant period of time, and thus were heavily subject to British political influence: Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States at the core, then India, New Zealand, and South Africa, and finally outliers like Grenada and St. Lucia.[5][6]
    Last edited by WMR; 03-03-2007 at 08:54 AM.

I was just picking at you, but anyway, it's always rubbed me the wrong way that people use that term too broadly. In my book, there's more to grouping people than just by language. I used to fight with college professors for calling me a WASP too. It's just in my nature to nitpick things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I was just picking at you, but anyway, it's always rubbed me the wrong way that people use that term too broadly. In my book, there's more to grouping people than just by language. I used to fight with college professors for calling me a WASP too. It's just in my nature to nitpick things like that.
    Yeah I know what you're saying... I watch a bunch of soccer, though, and it really is compelling and interesting as to how those nations I brought up see diving in soccer as a taboo... can't remember a single instance of seeing a man from one of those countries try to draw a penalty through such means.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Why would your college professors call you a WASP? That seems a bit unprofessional.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Yeah I know what you're saying... I watch a bunch of soccer, though, and it really is compelling and interesting as to how those nations I brought up see diving in soccer as a taboo... can't remember a single instance of seeing a man from one of those countries try to draw a penalty through such means.
    That's quite true, and has probably cost the US team a few goals over the years. I still remember McBride's bloody face and he didn't even go down after that elbow. I watch a lot of EPL and you hardly ever see a dive, but tune into Serie A...

Turn Off Ads?