Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: EXTRA TOP SECRET!!! Italian World Cup Training Video TOP SECRET!!!

EXTRA TOP SECRET!!! Italian World Cup Training Video TOP SECRET!!!

I advise you to watch the video. It is painful to watch, but it is a video that every American should see if you want a first-hand account of the tactics employed by the Italians when they play Soccer.

Someone has uncovered this Top Secret video of the Italians prepping for World Cup 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccDyp...php%3Fpage%3D2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: EXTRA TOP SECRET!!! Italian World Cup Training Video TOP SECRET!!!

That's freaking AWESOME!!!!!!!
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I don't know diddly about soccer. But I've been hearing a lot about this "flopping" deal.

Is this really a widespread thing? Sounds pretty disgraceful to an outsider.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I don't know diddly about soccer. But I've been hearing a lot about this "flopping" deal.

Is this really a widespread thing? Sounds pretty disgraceful to an outsider.
    It's fairly common. And it's annoying. The refs get criticized for calls/non-calls on fouls - but honestly from their perspective, it's tough to tell with these guys diving around the pitch. In hockey, diving is considered taboo .. in soccer, it's accepted for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    It's fairly common. And it's annoying. The refs get criticized for calls/non-calls on fouls - but honestly from their perspective, it's tough to tell with these guys diving around the pitch. In hockey, diving is considered taboo .. in soccer, it's accepted for the most part.

Hmmmm. Makes me think they should adopt the hockey fighting ways. If a guy flops, give him something to really flop about.

Soccer goons.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Hmmmm. Makes me think they should adopt the hockey fighting ways. If a guy flops, give him something to really flop about.

Soccer goons.
    You'd love Scottish soccer, methinks.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

In hockey, diving is considered taboo .. in soccer, it's accepted for the most part.
    I wonder if that's one of the reasons why the sport has a tough time reaching the mass market here. The American sporting character demands that its athletes not only be tough but act tough -- take a hit, and if you go down get back up, and it didn't hurt. Now, we know that soccer can be rough-and-tumble and elite players have to be tough, but with the diving and injury-faking and whining at the refs, they come across as something less than tough. There's plenty of room for gamesmanship in American sport, but acting like a candy-youknowwhat doesn't play.

I've also wondered why there's only one official on the field with all that ground to cover. I understand it at the lower levels, but in the premier leagues and FIFA events, you'd think they'd pony up for a better level of officiating.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I wonder if that's one of the reasons why the sport has a tough time reaching the mass market here. The American sporting character demands that its athletes not only be tough but act tough -- take a hit, and if you go down get back up, and it didn't hurt. Now, we know that soccer can be rough-and-tumble and elite players have to be tough, but with the diving and injury-faking and whining at the refs, they come across as something less than tough. There's plenty of room for gamesmanship in American sport, but acting like a candy-youknowwhat doesn't play.
    I feel this is one of the reasons the US doesn't win more foul calls actually. We don't act hurt, so the refs who are used to seeing untouched guys rolling like they've been shot don't make the call. Bake McBride was the perfect example of this behavior (though he won the card): he's gushing blood from his head and walking around like nothing happened. There is a machismo attitude in American sport, even among soccer players.

Every basketball team I've ever been around practiced adding a little bit of oooomph to taking a charging foul. Granted, the opportunity to use this doesn't come up like it does in soccer, but if you watch a college or pro hoops game, you'll see guys flopping quite a bit.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

One Man Army

This video was funny four years ago and still is funny today.

If you want to see world class flopping that makes even the Italians look like models of purity, watch Argentine soccer sometime. And for you soccer haters, there are fairly frequent donnybrooks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Every basketball team I've ever been around practiced adding a little bit of oooomph to taking a charging foul. Granted, the opportunity to use this doesn't come up like it does in soccer, but if you watch a college or pro hoops game, you'll see guys flopping quite a bit.
    Yeah, but that is mostly so players don't get hurt in basketball. Every once in a while you'll see a player just flat out sell a charge with his acting, but most of the time there was or would have been contact if he stands in. If a player really stood in and took a charge, they would be hurting pretty good. Besides there is a difference between acting hurt and just acting like you were knocked down.

I'd agree - as a 18 year referee in everything from kindergarten games to small college - that it is difficult to tell. However, rest assured that if we know it's a fake dive, the punishment is swift. Mandatory Yellow for unsporting behavior.
    The seven most magic words in all the land...
    "If, in the opinion of the referee,..."

Quote Originally Posted by SeeinRed
    Yeah, but that is mostly so players don't get hurt in basketball. Every once in a while you'll see a player just flat out sell a charge with his acting
    Shane Battier comes to mind.

Shane Battier comes to mind.
    James Posey in the NBA Finals.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?