Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey officially promoted to Double-A Chattanooga

Homer Bailey officially promoted to Double-A Chattanooga

Bailey to Chattanooga

Homer Bailey is going to be promoted this week from Class A Sarasota to Class AA Chattanooga, and if manager Jerry Narron had his way the promotion would be an airline ticket to Cincinnati.

After hearing that Bailey struck out the side on 12 pitches during a one-inning appearances Saturday in the Florida State League All-Star game, Narron said, "I kid (general manager) Wayne Krivsky that when I get the minor-league reports every day and Bailey pitches, they white-out his results so I don't see them."

Said Krivsky, "Bailey's next start will be in Chattanooga."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html
    I miss Adam Dunn.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey officially promoted to Double-A Chattanooga

Wayne, Please don't listen to Jerry

Hope Homer does well in AA
    Go Gators!

Bailey's chances for failure just widened by a great deal. He was on a nice trajectery, seemed to be making some progress in a pitching friendly league and is only 20 years old. Even when he should have started AA ball next year, he wouldn't turn 21 for a month. Very very risky.

This is a major failing by Krivsky. DanO probably just winced........

I would say the Luke Skywalker/Darth Vadar matchup from ESB is the most likely result of this move.
    Last edited by Aronchis; 06-19-2006 at 03:38 AM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis

I would say the Luke Skywalker/Darth Vadar matchup from ESB is the most likely result of this move.
    If it results in Bailey being given a robotic right arm, I can't say I'm against that.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    If it results in Bailey being given a robotic right arm, I can't say I'm against that.
    I knew Krivsky was smarter than that

Robot arms, the next steroids
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Robot arms, the next steroids
    Yep, people will be suspicious when Bailey throws that 110mph fastball next year

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis
    Yep, people will be suspicious when Bailey throws that 110mph fastball next year
    Not half as surprised as they will be when he does it while doing a one-handed handstand and levitating a bag of baseballs sitting out in the bullpen at the same time.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

PRO BASEBALL NOTEBOOK

BY PHIL DENIS CORRESPONDENT

SARASOTA -- Three months ago during spring training, Cincinnati Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky offered a simple assessment of the expectations regarding the organization's No. 1 prospect.

"If Homer Bailey pitches this season with Sarasota, that will be good," Krivsky said in late March of the then 19-year-old. "And, if Homer Bailey pitches half the season with Class A Sarasota and the other half with Double A Chattanooga, that would be better."

Well, Krivsky is feeling better this morning as the now 20-year-old Bailey Cincinnati's No. 1 draft selection in 2004 and who received a $2.3 million signing bonus is on his way to becoming a member of Chattanooga manager Jayhawk Owens' staff.

That's what Krivsky confirmed to Hall of Fame writer Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News during the Reds' home game against the Chicago White Sox on Sunday afternoon at Great American Ball Park when he said, "Homer Bailey's next start will be for Chattanooga."

The much-anticipated promotion was one of hot topics during this weekend's 45th Florida State League All-Star Game in Lakeland when Bailey needed only 12 pitches 10 of which were strikes to get his three batters to strike out swinging in the top of the second inning.

The 6-foot-4, 205-pound Bailey pitched well for the SaraReds during the first half as his deceiving record of 3-5 is followed by an improving earned run average of 3.31. In 13 starts, Bailey walked 22 and struck out 79 and opposing hitters have a measly .189 batting average.

Bailey's pitches were consistently in the mid-90 mph range and he continued to improve on his off speed pitches, particularly a tantalizing seemingly easy-to-hit curveball.

One of Krivsky's toughest assignments has been to keep the excitement regarding Bailey's tremendous potential on an even keel.

"He is very good and has so much potential. And, he's so young."

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...606190545/1006
    I miss Adam Dunn.

I fully support the promotion. Challenge him.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I for one am happy about it. When he was on, the FSL could not touch him, at all. Why not challenge him a little more?

I don't know what to think about this. I think it is awesome he got promoted, but I really hope he is ready.

I think Shafer is more ready for AAA then Bailey for AA.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

So does anyone know when he is scheduled to make his first AA start?

I would guess its coming soon Red Stocking, I think the next game Sarasota played was his scheduled start.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Ah, the saga of Homer Bailey.

The inaugural 1st round pick of the DanO era, another HS pitcher years away from helping an organization that has a poor track record in developing pitchers from the cradle.

His first full year is anything but spectacular, but at least his arm is still attached, as far as we know. Say goodbye to Dayton, and say hellooooooooo to Sarasota.

Year 2 starts out with Jerry Narron stealing the keys to the hype machine and heads for the interstate and was last seen traveling at a very high rate of speed. Wayne Krivsky is following close behind with the sirens blaring, but he has barely been able to keep up with his manager. Also, Mario Soto doesn't know who this kid is, but "he look good, berry, berry good." Add a few dominating performances, sprinkled with a few not so good performances and Sarasota is in the rear view mirror, and we have a prospect going full steam ahead (a little metaphor stew, anyone?).

Now, we finally have the kid accumulating some value, but will all of that go down the tubes with a crash and burn at Chattanooga? Stay tuned.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

Turn Off Ads?