Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Venezuela Reds - Summer League

Venezuela Reds - Summer League

Here's a link to the Venezuela Reds in the Venezuelan Summer League - they're currently leading the league by one game. I don't know much about this league nor anything about their players. Can someone fill us in?

http://www.vsl.com.ve/index.php?ejec...ts&id_equipo=4

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Venezuela Reds - Summer League

Well, I found this on Wikipedia, but I'm still not sure how players there start working their way into the American minor leagues. The team seems to be off to a good start.

Venezuelan Summer League

The Venezuelan Summer League is a minor league baseball rookie league which operates in Carabobo and Aragua states, Venezuela.

The league is open to players from all Latin American countries except Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. Currently, in the league are players from Aruba, Brazil, Colombia, Curaçao, Ecuador, El Salvador, Mexico, Panama, Nicaragua and Venezuela.

Each team has a roster limit of 35 active players: no more than 12 players 20 years of age or older, and no more than four players 21 years of age or older. At least 10 must be pitchers, as of July 1. No player on active list may have more than four years of minor league service.

Members
    The nine member teams plays a 64 game regular schedule, beginning on May 1 and ending on August 31. In the play-offs, the winner and runner up teams meet in a best-of-three games series for championship.

The current member teams and their affiliated MLB organizations are:

Aguirre - VSL Mariners
    Cagua - VSL Reds
    Ciudad Alianza - VSL Red Sox/Padres (cooperated)
    San Joaquin - VSL Pirates
    Tronconero #1 - VSL Phillies
    Tronconero #2 - VSL Mets
    Universidad - VSL Marlins/Nationals (cooperated)
    Venoco #1 - VSL Astros
    Venoco #2 - VSL Orioles

Definitely a small sample size, but HOly Frijoles check out pitcher Carlos Fajardo! Just a little guy at 5'8" 175, but definitely kicking some tail.

6g (5 starts) 24.2 IP
    2-0
    1.09 ERA 0.62WHIP
    11H /4BB / 3R (all earned)

The whole starting rotation looks pretty good - but Fajardo is head & shoulders above the others at this point.

We also have 6 guys hitting over .300!
    Better to be silent and thought a fool, than speak and be proven one.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

I wish I could tell you more about the league (I'm Venezuelan). Sorry, can't really. These summer leagues are ""rookie" leagues and as far as I know there is a similar one in the Dominican Republic.

The need for these leagues (IIRC) came initially when MLB ran out of visas (they are alloted a certain number...or were) and had trouble getting all their signees into the minor league systems.

Otherwise, I can tell you that these leagues get VERY little local press, the games are played outside the Capital (the cities mentioned are 2-3 hours drive from Caracas) and during the summer in that area it is very very HOT.

Most Venezuelans follow the "winter" leagues which feature local "stars'' and a host of US minor leaguers. The winter teams IIRC will scout the VSL for talent also...or there is some sort of agreement/aliances with the MLB teams.

Don't know of any REDS to come out of this league, but there should be several in the minors.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I sent an email to the Reds for additional information and I'll forward the response on when, and if, I get one.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

There's some good numbers on that stat list. I'm thinking a handful of those guys will get the call for the GCL when it begins play here shortly.

Here's a story pertinent to the question at hand - we may see a change even this season, so that will make the Reds' minor league rosters very interesting.

Senate OKs change in visa category for foreign athletes, artists
    Gerry Smith
    MEDILL NEWS SERVICE

WASHINGTON (May 30) -- The U.S. Senate has voted to classify Jose Rodriguez as an "internationally recognized" athlete.
    Rodriguez, who is from Venezuela, joined the Durham Bulls as a relief pitcher this season after stints with minor league affiliates of the Atlanta Braves and the New York Mets.

Like other foreign-born minor league players, he competes every year for seasonal worker visas, or H-2B visas, with other immigrants who work in industries such as hotels and restaurants.

But an amendment attached to the Senate immigration reform bill that passed Thursday would give Rodriguez access to a different visa category, called P-1, currently reserved for what the law calls "internationally recognized" artists, entertainers and athletes.

The change, which has not been approved by the House, would allow baseball franchises to recruit as many foreign-born players as they like for their minor league teams by removing them from the competitive pool of seasonal worker visas.

Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, introduced the "Maineiacs" amendment, named after a minor league hockey team in her state. It would "level the playing field for minor league sports teams that depend on getting the best athletic talent," Collins said in a statement.

A shortage of seasonal worker visas for minor league players began in the wake of September 11, when the federal government lowered the cap from more than 120,000 per year to 66,000. The change has put some franchises in a pinch, said Lucy Calautti, a Washington lobbyist for Major League Baseball.

Major League Baseball and the National Hockey League have been lobbying Congress to change the visa category because they say the quotas have blocked them from bringing potential stars to the United States.

"Some teams don't have the resources for a substantial payroll, so it's very important for them to count on their farm system to bring up ballplayers," Calautti said.

Calautti said the cap for seasonal worker visas is usually met by January, forcing teams to decide months before the season begins what positions they are going to fill with foreign players.

"How does a team know before the season starts that they're going to have an injured player at shortstop?" she said.

Foreign players make up an estimated 40 percent of minor league rosters and about 25 percent of major league rosters. But Rodriguez is the only foreign-born player on the Bulls, a triple-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Mitch Lukevics, director of minor league operations for the Devil Rays, said the team doesn't recruit as heavily in Latin America as other teams, and has not had problems with its allotment of 37 seasonal worker visas this year.

But Calautti said giving foreign-born minor leaguers the visas reserved for major leaguers -- as proposed by Collins -- would be good not just for baseball clubs, but for fans as well.

"Whether a player is born here or in another country, if they have a great skill to play baseball, fans should have the chance to see them play."

The amendment attached to the Senate bill will have to be reconciled in a House immigration bill this summer.

But Rodriguez says he is hoping to get the visa reserved for major leaguers without the help of Congress -- by being called up to the Devil Rays.

"That's why I'm here," he said.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Good research, redsmetz. It will be interesting to see what the REDS say.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Good research, redsmetz. It will be interesting to see what the REDS say.
    I had sent my earlier request to the general info email, but this morning I fished out an old email I had from Rob Butcher to try to figure out the setup for Reds email addresses. I sent an email to Johnny Almarez guessing the setup would be the same. We'll see if I get a response. I asked if they would consider putting links to the two Latin American rookie teams on their web page; I asked how the players move up; and I asked whether there was a possibility in the future to have an affiliation with an Australian league team. We'll see.

Turn Off Ads?