Turn Off Ads?

Thread: David Segui says he used HGH legally

David Segui says he used HGH legally

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...adlines-sports

From the Associated Press
    June 19, 2006

Former major leaguer David Segui said he used human growth hormone and was among the players mentioned by ex-teammate Jason Grimsley to federal investigators. Segui added that he used the drug with a doctor's prescription because of a growth hormone deficiency.

Segui, who spent 15 years in the majors and retired in 2004, said on ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday that he continues to use HGH legally. He said he started using the hormone after the deficiency was found before surgery during his playing career.

The 39-year-old first baseman said Grimsley came to him last off-season, seeking advice about HGH and how it might help him recover from major arm surgery. Grimsley was waived by the Arizona Diamondbacks this month after acknowledging HGH use and, in a statement to federal agents, accusing other players of using it.

Segui played for Baltimore, the New York Mets, Montreal, Seattle, Toronto, Texas and Cleveland from 1990 to 2004, finishing with a .291 average and 139 homers. He and Grimsley were Orioles teammates in 2004.

The names of the other players accused by Grimsley have not yet been made public.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: David Segui says he used HGH legally

He may have used it legally, but I wonder about "distribution."
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2493996

David Segui has told ESPN and The Baltimore Sun that he informed Orioles executive VP Jim Beattie that he took HGH by legal prescription in 2003 and 2004. Beattie, now an Orioles consultant, told ESPN that Segui relayed to him only late in the 2004 season that he had been taking HGH.

Current Orioles executive VP of baseball operations Mike Flanagan told the Sun on Tuesday that the club was unaware that Segui had a chronic condition that required him to take HGH.

"He never revealed to us or the medical staff that he had a chronic condition that required human growth hormone," Flanagan told the newspaper. "That information was never divulged to us."

However, Beattie said he told others in the Baltimore front office that Segui asked him if he could see his doctor in Florida, who prescribed HGH, before heading home after Segui was placed on the DL. It was clear Segui wouldn't play again in 2004, the final year of a four-year contract with the Orioles, and given Segui's inactive status, no action was taken by the team.

Segui told ESPN that he's one of the players whose names were redacted in the IRS affidavit that said Jason Grimsley received two kits of human growth hormone on April 19.

In the affidavit, Grimsley told IRS investigators that a player "told him of a doctor in Florida that he was using at a wellness center to obtain human growth hormone" ... the player told him, "If you are going to do this, you should do it right."

Segui told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap in an interview Saturday that he is that player, but said he was under a doctor's prescription at the time.

"It was almost word for word the conversation we had, except there's a couple of key words left out," Segui told Schaap. "You know, 'legal' was one of the major -- probably the most major omission in the affidavit ... I was, you know, deemed human growth hormone deficient through blood work ... the doctor put me on human growth hormone, monitored my levels, monitored blood level, blood work periodically, regularly.

"... It was perfectly legal," Segui said. "You know, I was under doctor's prescription."

Segui played for seven teams during his career. Baseball has banned HGH and toughened its testing for other steroids, but there is no reliable test for HGH.

Segui showed ESPN a prescription for HGH from 2003, and said he continues to take HGH today. Segui said that Grimsley told him this past offseason that he planned to take HGH to help his recovery from Tommy John surgery on his elbow. Segui said he suggested that Grimsley see a doctor and have his growth hormone level tested.

"I told him, I was speaking as a friend ... Do it under the doctor's supervision," Segui said. "And my exact words to him were, if you're going to do it, do it the right way."

Segui said that Grimsley did not go to the doctor who prescribed HGH for Segui.

Segui told ESPN he was using HGH while playing as late as 2004, when it was a prohibited substance -- though not tested for by baseball. He did not apply for a waiver because of his medical need. As for any player's chance of receiving an exemption for HGH, a baseball spokesman said "that would be difficult to imagine."

In May, agents searched Grimsley's Arizona home following his admission he had used HGH, steroids and amphetamines.

According to court documents, authorities tracked a package containing two "kits" of HGH -- about a season's worth -- that was delivered to Grimsley's house on April 19. He failed a baseball drug test in 2003, documents showed.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    He may have used it legally, but I wonder about "distribution."
    I'm sure a lot of players would like the number of Segui's doctor.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?