Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arroyo coming to terms with trade

Arroyo coming to terms with trade

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...d=106787&rfi=6

ATLANTA -- At the end of his CD, ĎCovering the Bases,í on a cover version of the Standellís classic "Dirty Water," pitcher/guitarist/singer Bronson Arroyo proclaimed loudly, "Boston, youíre my home!"

That, of course, is no longer the case. Sort of. Arroyo still hasnít sold the Back Bay condo he purchased shortly before being traded to the Cincinnati Reds towards the end of spring training (more on that condo later).

His baseball address, however, has changed from Fenway Park to the Great American Ball Park. And while he was shocked and more than a little upset about being dealt to the Reds on March 19 in exchange for Wily Mo Pena, Arroyo is enjoying his spot atop the surprising Redsí rotation more than he thought he would.

"Now that Iíve been here, Iíve had time to reflect a little bit and not be so bitter about being traded," he said in a phone interview. "Itís really cool. In Boston, I enjoyed being near the bottom of the rotation, doing my thing. Here, I canít do that. Iíve got to be at the forefront, Iím one of the main guys, me and (Aaron) Harang. If I donít get it done, we donít get it done. Thereís more weight on my shoulders. On the other hand, itís a little more relaxed. You donít feel the do-or-die pressure to win every time."

Of course, it doesnít hurt that heís 8-3 with a 2.51 ERA and almost certainly heading to his first-ever All-Star Game, and that the Reds are in second place in the N.L. Central and have been one of the surprises of the first half of the season.

"If I was 4-5 with a 5.00 ERA, I wouldnít be enjoying it so much," Arroyo admitted. "But I can have a good time anywhere, in any ballpark. I still miss the buzz of 35,000 people in Fenway Park. Thatís what Iím always going to miss. Everything else is good."

The Sox could certainly use him right now. At the time he was dealt, Boston had a glut of starting pitching, so much so that Arroyo was (happily) slated to begin the season in the bullpen. Things sure have changed.

Since then, David Wells has been on the disabled list three times and his career may now be over. Matt Clement and his 6.61 ERA are also currently on the DL. Over the past month, the Sox have trotted out the likes of Lenny DiNardo and David Pauley to fill the fifth spot in the rotation. Tonight, they will trot out Kyle Snyder, who was recently released by what may end up being the worst team in baseball history (the Royals) after just one horrific start.

Meanwhile, Arroyo is tied for second in the N.L. in wins, is third in ERA and canít help reveling a little bit while general manager Theo Epstein catches some heat.

"Nothing against Theo, I still love him to death," Arroyo said, "but if somebody trades you, obviously you want to go somewhere else and put up numbers to (say), ĎYou guys messed up, I was more of a valuable commodity than you thought.í I think anybody who gets traded feels like that, if they wanted to stay."

"I know (Theo is) probably catching some heat," he continued. "The better Iím pitching over here, the more heat heís probably going to take."

Arroyo says that he and the Reds are creating "a kind of buzz around here in Cincinnati" (though their 8-1 loss to the White Sox on Sunday completed an awful, 2-8 homestand).

"Itís a traditional baseball town," he said. "I donít think weíre going to sell out the stadium every night like in Fenway, unless weíre in the World Series or something. But thereís more interest everywhere I go. People are saying that weíre bringing baseball back to life here."

Still, he watches the Sox whenever he can on satellite TV and keeps in touch with teammates like Kevin Youkilis, DiNardo and Clement. It takes Arroyo about a nanosecond to think of the moment that best crystallized how much he missed playing in Boston.

"When I was watching the Patriots, Day game, (Mark) Loretta in the bottom of the ninth, two-out home run," he recalled. "Watching that, I was just like, ĎThis is what Iím talking about. Itís unbelievable.í Patriotsí Day, the whole town is buzzing as is. These things seem to happen in that town that donít happen anywhere else, except maybe New York, on a weekly basis.

"Those are the things you miss the most."

Thereís no doubt Arroyo would love to be a Red Sox again someday. And that brings us back to that Back Bay condo. After the trade, Arroyo was going to rent it out to Wells, but Boomer needed more room. He wound up renting it out to Dustan Mohr, but once he was sent down to Triple-A Pawtucket a couple of weeks ago, Mohr got out of the lease. Now, heís renting it out to some businessmen.

"Iíll be renting it out for the next three years," said Arroyo. In other words, the length of his contract with the Reds. Then, he might be able to move back in on a more permanent bases.

Perhaps heíll be able to move in before then? Say, around July 31? Umm Ö no, not happening.

"Iím too much of a bargain," Arroyo said, before adding with a chuckle, "(the Reds) went out and got a Porsche for $10,000."

Actually, $11.25 million over the next three years --- $ 1.5 million of which is being paid by the Red Sox, who, at least right now, have to be ruing the day they traded away Bronson Arroyo.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arroyo coming to terms with trade

"It’s really cool. In Boston, I enjoyed being near the bottom of the rotation, doing my thing. Here, I can’t do that. I’ve got to be at the forefront, I’m one of the main guys, me and (Aaron) Harang. If I don’t get it done, we don’t get it done. There’s more weight on my shoulders. On the other hand, it’s a little more relaxed. You don’t feel the do-or-die pressure to win every time."
    I wonder if that quote is going to come back to haunt him if his performance takes a nosedive (like Graves)
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

I still remember reading the BoSox message boards the day the trade was made. They were talking about how they absolutely stole Pena from us, glad to hear they are singing a different tune now.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

"I’m too much of a bargain," Arroyo said, before adding with a chuckle, "(the Reds) went out and got a Porsche for $10,000."
    I like the metaphor. Too bad the bullpen has lately been a parking lot full of rusty Yugos which costed more than that. They also tend to belch clouds of smoke and backfire while they're on the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted
    I like the metaphor. Too bad the bullpen has lately been a parking lot full of rusty Yugos which costed more than that. They also tend to belch clouds of smoke and backfire while they're on the mound.
    That only makes Arroyo look that much nicer surrounded by Renaults.

"It’s really cool. In Boston, I enjoyed being near the bottom of the rotation, doing my thing. Here, I can’t do that. I’ve got to be at the forefront, I’m one of the main guys, me and (Aaron) Harang. If I don’t get it done, we don’t get it done. There’s more weight on my shoulders. On the other hand, it’s a little more relaxed. You don’t feel the do-or-die pressure to win every time."

Man, that really irritates me. Why in the heck do we even have a baseball team unless the goal is to win the game every single day? I like Arroyo and everything he brings, but if he thinks Reds fans are any less interested in winning than anywhere else he is sorely mistaken. And, for the first time in a long time, I think management might feel the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala
    "Itís really cool. In Boston, I enjoyed being near the bottom of the rotation, doing my thing. Here, I canít do that. Iíve got to be at the forefront, Iím one of the main guys, me and (Aaron) Harang. If I donít get it done, we donít get it done. Thereís more weight on my shoulders. On the other hand, itís a little more relaxed. You donít feel the do-or-die pressure to win every time."

Man, that really irritates me. Why in the heck do we even have a baseball team unless the goal is to win the game every single day? I like Arroyo and everything he brings, but if he thinks Reds fans are any less interested in winning than anywhere else he is sorely mistaken. And, for the first time in a long time, I think management might feel the same way.
    I think this is one of these quotes that must be considered in context. No doubt he feels pressure to win, and everything Arroyo's said indicates to me that he's a very competitive guy and hard on himself. But the Boston fans coupled with the fact that the Red sox were a seriously contending team the entire time he was with them meant that he probably got horribly ribbed -- curses, media bashing, the works -- every time he contributed to a loss. The "lack of pressure to win" to which he refers I think refers to a more patient and understanding atmosphere, not a less competitive one.

He strikes me as very straightforward. His personality seems to be having the opportunity to come out a lot more here, and I really like that he seems to say what he thinks. He speaks like he pitches, in a way.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I think he means the pressure is alot less. Boston and NY have some moron fans who expect world series every single year and if we are all being honest with ourselves, we dont expect that.

If anything, he means that Cincy is a more realist of a town. We expect to win but we dont expect perfection like those turds from the coast.

saboforthird

I could care less what a player thinks of the fans, as far as pressure to win goes. The player ought to be motivated enough to WANT to win every game. That alone would stress a player a little. No one ever said a little stress was a bad thing. I just get the feeling that this organization instills a "ah well, it's just a game, let's have fun tomorrow..." mentality in its players.

Is it true that when he performed in fundraiser that Felo joined him onstage for a tune?What song I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy
    Is it true that when he performed in fundraiser that Felo joined him onstage for a tune?What song I wonder?
    Circus music maybe?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Quote Originally Posted by saboforthird
    I could care less what a player thinks of the fans, as far as pressure to win goes.
    I didn't see "fans" mentioned anywhere in that quote.

He could have been referring to the fans, the staff, or both. I highly doubt he was referring to manaagement because Bob Castellini doesn't strike me as having that mentality.

I like Bronson's straight forward personality too... though he's a tad arrogant, as demonstrated by the the "porsche" statement. Even though he's right, it would sound better coming from someone else rather than him.

That said, I think athletes need that mentality... to a point. When it gets to be too much, it can be trouble.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

At least he didn't say, "Bronson Arroyo is too much of a bargain," Arroyo said, before adding with a chuckle, "(the Reds) went out and got a Porsche for $10,000."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I trade him in the offseason. If he keeps this up the rest of the year, there will be teams banging down Wayne Krivsky's door trying to get him. In my opinion, we have zero chance to sign him to an extention and also chances are he's not going to be this lights out past this year.

Sell high.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30
    I trade him in the offseason. If he keeps this up the rest of the year, there will be teams banging down Wayne Krivsky's door trying to get him. In my opinion, we have zero chance to sign him to an extention and also chances are he's not going to be this lights out past this year.

Sell high.
    I feel you 110%, but seriously, what could be the proper return for a cheap pitcher in his prime? I mean Bronson is kicking major butt for a low salary, how big of a return are you expecting? I mean we may have little chance of signing him to an extension but how about keeping him through his contract and then getting the compensation pick after his contract is up. I dunno, I am not a fan of giving up a cheap ace in a trade. I keep Bronson until I have to give him up.

Turn Off Ads?