Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer Bailey Promoted to AA

Homer Bailey Promoted to AA

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...snotesweb.html

Bailey to Chattanooga

Homer Bailey is going to be promoted this week from Class A Sarasota to Class AA Chattanooga, and if manager Jerry Narron had his way the promotion would be an airline ticket to Cincinnati.

After hearing that Bailey struck out the side on 12 pitches during a one-inning appearances Saturday in the Florida State League All-Star game, Narron said, "I kid (general manager) Wayne Krivsky that when I get the minor-league reports every day and Bailey pitches, they white-out his results so I don't see them."

Said Krivsky, "Bailey's next start will be in Chattanooga."
    wow
    Last edited by reds44; 06-19-2006 at 11:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Homer Bailey Promoted to AA

Nice...good luck to Homer.

I don't like it. Let the guy have some sustained success. He got hit pretty hard in several outings. This formula has failed in the past and I see no reason not to let him grow a little against hitters he overmatches.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

MWM, I agree and disagree with you.. I agree because I would have liked to see him have a few more good starts in a row before a promotion. I disagree though, becuase he wasnt really ever hit hard, its just when he walked guys, he got in trouble. When he was on, the FSL could not touch him, at all. So if he is going to be nearly unhittable in the FSL when he is on, promote him.

I like to see guys absolutely dominate for a good half season before they're promoted, unless they're playing at a level where they're a bit old. Otherwise, let them experience domination for a long period of time. That's how they refine their stuff. If he makes the leap and struggles he's right back to making adjustments again.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by MWM
    I like to see guys absolutely dominate for a good half season before they're promoted, unless they're playing at a level where they're a bit old. Otherwise, let them experience domination for a long period of time. That's how they refine their stuff. If he makes the leap and struggles he's right back to making adjustments again.
    Can't say it better than that.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

He has been pretty darn good down there. Maybe not dominant, but close. 1.00 WHIP and 79/22 K/BB ratio. I'm happy with the move, but we'll see what happens. Any guesses as to when his first start will be?

I think they're moving a bit too quickly with him. Classic Reds. In my mind, though, the key to Homer's development will be the circumstances under which he debuts in the majors (I mean, we pretty much know he'll be there before too long). They absolutely have to bring him in as much out of the spotlight as necessary -- whether that's at the back of a rotation which has been upgraded with the addition of 1-2 name guys or in the bullpen, they must ensure that the burden of leading the pitching staff is on other guys, and that's for a period of years before, ideally, Homer could take it on. Unfortunately, right now there is an expectation out there in the media surrounding the team, and by extension the fanbase, that Homer is destined to be the next (since when?) Reds ace. Big mistake. I'd love to see Krivsky get a real live ace in here who grabs the spotlight, because it's a guy like that who can ease the pressure on everybody else, most notably a young talented guy like Homer.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Too much. Too soon.

Maybe the Reds should abandon the practice of bringing their number 1 signee to Cincinnati for a meet-and-greet with the locals? Seems to me like it just intensifies the external pressure to bring these guys through the system when Joe Fan and Harry Sportswriter engage in public begging to bring them to the big club before they're ready.

Make those top picks claw their way up without the tugging from locals.

Here's the thing with rushing Bailey. If he shows up early and takes a few years to find himself in the majors, then you've whizzed away his inexpensive years on spotty production.

I also worry aggressive promotion will cause the kid to try to be a hero. IMO, the absolute most encouraging thing about Bailey to date has been that he's been healthy. As long as his arm's in good shape, he's got the chance to progress.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    Here's the thing with rushing Bailey. If he shows up early and takes a few years to find himself in the majors, then you've whizzed away his inexpensive years on spotty production.
    which is pretty much the rule around baseball, pitchers get rushed.

Starting pitching is not THE problem with this team so Bailey is not a solution to what ails.

The strange thing is a number of guys at AA would not be rushed if they moved them to AAA yet they remain with the Lookouts even though they have dominated. Maybe the Reds are waiting til the end of the first half to move a couple of these guys to AAA.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I have to ask the posters against the promotion the following:

What exactly, is your defenition of dominance? Homer is not a finished product, but these numbers look very impressive to me:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today....php?id=456701

He's still well under a hit per inning, his K's are still above 1 an inning, his WHIP is better, his ERA has improved, and opposing batters are only hitting .189 against.

What more are you asking for? It seems his first half was pretty dang dominant to me.

Homer Bailey is not Ty Howington or Chris Gruler. He's not Richie Gardner, etc. You cannot lump him in with this group until he actually flounders, yet it seems to me, everyone believes he is destined for some kind of dooms day simply because he's a Red. I think the Reds have handled him with kids gloves, I dont think this promotion is unwarranted. Homer Bailey must be weighed on his own merits. And when reviewing those merits, I like what I see, and I'm confident in the promotion.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

I just checked, he is the youngest player in the Southern League by about 5 months. I am with cincyinco on this one though, it seems everyone is so worried about what happened to Reds pitchers in the past.

Bailey has still been inconsistent. That's the kind of thing that guys should work out before advancing to a league where they will be the youngest guy.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    It seems his first half was pretty dang dominant to me.
    other than HR rate (it isn't bad just something to note) there is nothing not to like.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?