Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Well, now that you bring it up.....

Well, now that you bring it up.....

I lifted this from another thread.
    Too much concern is paid to breaking up righties/lefties instead of maximizing each player's abilities when the lineup card is made up.

It's Narron's biggest flaw.
    That's kind of an interesting question right there now isn't it?
    What is Jerry Narron's biggest flaw as a manager?

I have to think it's favoring veteran's for the last couple of roster spots. Tough to say exactly who has responsability there. It could be Krivsky and it could be Narron, but pulling Q and putting in Deno seems a no-brainer to me. Substituting Juan Castro for Rey Olmedo seems to me to be subtraction. At the start of the year almost the whole bullpen was made up of guys whose sole qualifiacition was "they had pitched relief in the major leagues for several years."

In Narron's defense. Rich A has worked out better than anybody suspcected and we are not seeing Tony Womack at second base every day.

That's my answer. What's yours?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Well, now that you bring it up.....

Narron's biggest flaw is when he goes to the mound and calls for a bullpen pitcher.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

He likes contact in the middle of the order, and will over value it to the point of riding outs in hopes of creating bat on the ball situations. It leads to lots of 0-5's and empty nights when they are cold and lots of 3-5's and 10 runs when they aren't. It's almost an ebb and flow to the seasons offense at times when guys like Aurilia bat fourth for 2 weeks and go 2-35 you really feel it.

He also has that catchers habit of trying to let a personal pitching milestone sometimes dictate his quickness to the BP.
    Last edited by westofyou; 06-19-2006 at 01:27 PM.

To steal a quote from WOY, Narron is essentially shooting for an inside straight everytime the Reds lineup turns over in the ninth and he's giving AB's to guys like Phillips and Aurilia.

It's bad poker if you ask me.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by dfs
    I lifted this from another thread.

That's kind of an interesting question right there now isn't it?
    What is Jerry Narron's biggest flaw as a manager?

I have to think it's favoring veteran's for the last couple of roster spots. Tough to say exactly who has responsability there. It could be Krivsky and it could be Narron, but pulling Q and putting in Deno seems a no-brainer to me. Substituting Juan Castro for Rey Olmedo seems to me to be subtraction. At the start of the year almost the whole bullpen was made up of guys whose sole qualifiacition was "they had pitched relief in the major leagues for several years."

In Narron's defense. Rich A has worked out better than anybody suspcected and we are not seeing Tony Womack at second base every day.

That's my answer. What's yours?
    Hey!

Did you ask me if you could use my quote?:
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    He likes contact in the middle of the order, and will over value it to the point of riding outs in hopes of creating bat on the ball situations. It leads to lots of 0-5's and empty nights when they are cold and lots of 3-5's and 10 runs when they aren't. It's almost an ebb and flow to the seasons offense at times when guys like Aurilia bat fourth for 2 weeks and go 2-35 you really feel it.

He also has that catchers habit of trying to let a personal pitching milestone sometimes dictate his quickness to the BP.
    That first part is exactly what I was going for when I said it was Narron's biggest flaw.

It could be a big reason for the streakiness of the offense.

Maybe.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

His biggest flaw IMO is just like many of his counterparts he allows politics to become a part of the equation. Example, he will not move Jr. down in the lineup even if it might mean better results. He freely makes comments about many of his players but not the ones with the biggest $$$ and egos. I also think he should expect more out of his coaches or be wise enough to get new ones when needed. It's blatantly obvious too me that Dunn could be unstoppable if he shortened his swing but I haven't seen much of a push to do this.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Narron's biggest flaw is when he goes to the mound and calls for a bullpen pitcher.
    LOL,good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    I also think he should expect more out of his coaches or be wise enough to get new ones when needed. It's blatantly obvious too me that Dunn could be unstoppable if he shortened his swing but I haven't seen much of a push to do this.
    I don't think the public is made aware of everything that goes on during pregame practice. Just because Dunn isn't doing it, doesn't mean they're not working on it...
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

My biggest pet peeve with Narron is the ever changing lineups and generally just having bad line ups. Seems like he chases the percentages instead of putting the right guy in the right spot and leaving him there to produce over time instead of trying to hit magic night after night.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner
    My biggest pet peeve with Narron is the ever changing lineups and generally just having bad line ups. Seems like he chases the percentages instead of putting the right guy in the right spot and leaving him there to produce over time instead of trying to hit magic night after night.
    I completely agree. I'm tired of the constant experimenting that goes on in the lineup. It's a different beast every night and Narron can't seem to stick to any one lineup for more than a game at a time. Micro-micro managing at its finest.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou

I'm not sure what you mean by this part of your post, woy. An example please?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Originally posted by TeamBoone I don't think the public is made aware of everything that goes on during pregame practice. Just because Dunn isn't doing it, doesn't mean they're not working on it...
    Agreed. But what's that say about our favorite 6'6" Slugger!?? I just am not too sure that's the case. My guess is that they feel he has already done that enough moving his hands from behind the neck to just behind his left ear a few years back. It's simply not enough IMO, he still can't catch up to a solid FB unless he is sitting on it.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

saboforthird

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo
    His biggest flaw IMO is just like many of his counterparts he allows politics to become a part of the equation. Example, he will not move Jr. down in the lineup even if it might mean better results. He freely makes comments about many of his players but not the ones with the biggest $$$ and egos. I also think he should expect more out of his coaches or be wise enough to get new ones when needed. It's blatantly obvious too me that Dunn could be unstoppable if he shortened his swing but I haven't seen much of a push to do this.
    Would Piniella be different in this regards? I always loved the man's toughness, but something always seems to silence the critic in whoever is the Red's manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski
    I'm not sure what you mean by this part of your post, woy. An example please?
    Letting pitchers pitch themselves into deeper holes, often counting on them to work their way out of trouble, only to have them work their selves into a deeper matter for an already weak BP.

Miley did it to, just slow on the draw to get the guy out of there.

Turn Off Ads?