Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Trade advice

Trade advice

Do you think giving up 1B Prince Fielder and RP Chris Ray is too much to give up for 3B Scott Rolen or 3B Troy Glaus?

I'm trying to open up a roster spot for John Patterson and don't want to just simply drop someone. At the same time, I have 4 closers (Papelbon, Ryan, Gordon and Ray) and want to try and move one of them to open a roster spot for a SP.

If I move Fielder, I can move Youkilis to 1B and play Glaus or Rolen at 3B.

I chose to move Fielder instead of Youkilis because Youk helps in H, R, BB, OBP, and OPS more than Fielder although Fielder should do slightly better in RBI, HR, and SLG. I figured I could make up for those stats with the difference between Fielder and Glaus / Rolen.
    What do you think? Too much to give up for either of them?
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-20-2006 at 02:29 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Re: Trade advice

I'll have to think a little more on that but you might want to give Patterson a start or 2. He's been out a long time. Can you keep him DL'd in your league even though he won't be on the DL anymore?
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    I'll have to think a little more on that but you might want to give Patterson a start or 2. He's been out a long time. Can you keep him DL'd in your league even though he won't be on the DL anymore?
    After he comes off the DL I have 4 days to activate him. He'll start on Friday, so I'll have until Monday night to either activate him, trade him, or drop him.

The two options I have if I can't work out a trade is to either drop Curtis Granderson (who is in my starting lineup right now with Jonny Gomes sucking); drop Chris Ray (who is valuable and would be claimed off waivers) or drop Jered Weaver (same as Ray).
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Fielder and Ray seem fairly reasonable for Rolen. I've never been a big Glaus fan and his injuries. If it comes down to dropping somebody, I would have to drop Granderson and go with Gomes, even with his current suckitude.
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed
    Fielder and Ray seem fairly reasonable for Rolen. I've never been a big Glaus fan and his injuries. If it comes down to dropping somebody, I would have to drop Granderson and go with Gomes, even with his current suckitude.
    That's what I had planned.

I can't understand why this guy won't make this move, if he'd choose not to. He's got Aubrey Huff (king of suck) at 1B and no other first basemen. He's got Eddie Guardado as his 2nd RP and we don't count holds (or blown saves) and he's got 4 third basemen: Glaus, Rolen, G. Atkins, and I guess you could count Huff since he's eligible there, although he can't move him because he has no other 1B. This is the perfect move for him to dump his trash and upgrade withough hurting himself too badly.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I would personally rather have Glaus than Rolen. I guess to make a 100% accurate decision I'd need the categories. Sure Glaus is injury prone, but Rolen also has a bad back.

Also, it would depend on who your SS was because Glaus will become eligible at SS next week if your league does a 5 game minimum. That adds a lot of value to Glaus IMO.

These are the hitting categories: R, H, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS.

My SS is Derek Jeter, so no need for Glaus there unless Jeter...nevermind, I'm not even going to type it.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

UPDATE:

He rejected the Glaus offer because he currently has Julio Lugo as his SS and I think he's aware that Glaus will be SS eligible next week, so he can put Glaus at SS and Akins at 3B.

For that reason, I'm surprised he accepted the deal for Rolen. I thought he'd want to hold onto Rolen to put him at 3B when he moved Glaus over to SS, but he said that his need for a good 1B and another closer was greater than having Rolen at 3B. So the deal was accepted.

I gave up RP Chris Ray and 1B Prince Fielder and got 3B Scott Rolen.

I will now move Kevin Youkilis to 1B and put Rolen at 3B.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Thats not to bad at all.

Another owner in my league sent me an email a day after the trade was accepted telling me I should have contacted him. He said that he would have given me Ryan Howard for Fielder and Ray.

I asked him if he'd take Rolen for Howard and he said no. He needed a 1B (to replace Howard) and he needs a RP. He's got K-Rod, Street, and Julio, so I didn't even think to ask him if he'd be interested as I thought he'd be good with those 3 closers. Apparently, he really likes Fielder.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Regardless of this new offer, I think the deal you got was a good one and I wouldn't because you didn't get Howard.

Thanks, IowaRed.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my offense. Can't complain.

C- V. Martinez
    1B- K. Youkilis
    2B- C. Utley
    3B- S. Rolen
    SS- D. Jeter
    OF- J. Bay
    OF- M. Holliday
    OF- C. Crawford
    UT- T. Hafner
    UT- J. Gomes
    BN- C. Granderson

Other than having a below average 1B, I think I'm in good shape. Plus Youkilis helps in H, R, BB, AVG, OBP, and OPS. He's not awful in HR, RBI, and SLG, just below average. If he starts to suck, I'll probably have to move a pitcher to get a good 1B. But I think I'm above average in enough positions, that it more than offsets Youkilis' lack of power.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    Thanks, IowaRed.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy with my offense. Can't complain.

C- V. Martinez
    1B- K. Youkilis
    2B- C. Utley
    3B- S. Rolen
    SS- D. Jeter
    OF- J. Bay
    OF- M. Holliday
    OF- C. Crawford
    UT- T. Hafner
    UT- J. Gomes
    BN- C. Granderson

Other than having a below average 1B, I think I'm in good shape. Plus Youkilis helps in H, R, BB, AVG, OBP, and OPS. He's not awful in HR, RBI, and SLG, just below average. If he starts to suck, I'll probably have to move a pitcher to get a good 1B. But I think I'm above average in enough positions, that it more than offsets Youkilis' lack of power.
    How many games does a player have to play to become eligible at a position in your league? If it is 5 then your 1st base issues will be solved in about a week when Hafner plays his 5th game at 1st. He played 2 games in Milwaukee and still have 6 games left in NL parks. He will play in a minimum of 3 ofthose games.

Hafner has 3 more starts at 1B , or 8 games where he makes an appearance to be eligible there. And you're right, that will help out a great deal. That doesn't force me to hold onto Youkilis, or automatically use up one of my UTIL spots just for Hafner. Now Jonny Gomes...that's another story, although he's already OF eligible, thank God, because he won't play another game in the field this year, I'd bet.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Turn Off Ads?