Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: June 20th - Minor League Updates

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: June 20th - Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    Doc, in 2005 he said he was still trying to find his control after surgery. This year, it is a lot better. He still has a little bit of a problem, but its not like last year.
    Sure, I'll buy that in theory, but the numbers don't particularly play it out- he wasn't Mr. Control before surgery, either. His career professional mark before 2006 is 4.43 walks per nine innings. He served up like 5.6 per nine in 118 FSL innings, plus 3.5 per nine in the Sally League before that.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...umatrait.shtml

If he's still pitching well in AAA, I give him a September look-see. If I need a LOOGY, there's Mike Venafro and Brian Shackleford sitting right there. I don't think Dumatrait is needed (nor is he fit) for situational duty.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Dougie is right, his control really suffered after his surgury... Look at his walk rate at A ball.. its horrid. He's really made strides, IMO with the command, and I hope he continues too. Let him start until he fails..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Belisle is starting for Chattanooga tonight.

So far: 2 IP, 2 Hits, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 2 K

Mustangs are up 9-1 after 3 1/2 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    GCL Reds won 10-8 to open the season.
    Do they play most of these games early in the day?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Mustangs are up 9-1:
    Stubbs is 1-2 with a hit and run
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...rfrok_bilrok_1

GCL Reds won 10-8
    Reed went 1-4 with a triple and run scored
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...g_box&did=milb
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Lookouts win 3-0. Steve Kelly was dominant. 4.2 innings pitched. 4 hits, 9 K's!

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/a...mcaax_cngaax_1
    Last edited by cjtenn28; 06-20-2006 at 10:39 PM.

Bruce just hit a monster bomb into the river in the MWL All-Star game.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Bruce just hit a monster bomb into the river in the MWL All-Star game.
    REALLY???

Dang I just turned it off!
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Stubbs finishes 1-2 with a BB,HBP,K, and 2 runs.

Reds minor leaguer McKennon, in first game at Billings, has 7 RBI tonight with grand slam, triple, sac fly. How fast can he join Reds in NY?

McKennon belts grand slam, drives in 7 as Mustangs win opener, 12-2
    By MIKE SCHERTING
    Of The Gazette Staff

It was a smashing debut for the Billings Mustangs Tuesday night. Especially for outfielder Michael McKennon.

The Mustangs opened the Pioneer League season with a sound 12-2 thumping of the Great Falls White Sox, showing off all phases of the game in front of 3,083 fans at Cobb Field.

McKennon, a 25th-round draft pick from Texas-San Antonio, hit a grand slam in his first at-bat of the season, powering the Mustangs to five first-inning runs. They added four more in the third -- two courtesy of a McKennon triple in his second at-bat -- and that was way more than Billings starter Daniel Guerrero needed.

McKennon added a sacrifice fly in the eighth inning to finish with seven RBIs. In the jubilant locker room after the game, where Mustangs players were cheering on the waning moments of the NBA Finals on the clubhouse television, McKennon was asked if his family and friends would believe him when he told them about his professional debut. "They might, I haven't told anybody yet," he said. "I guess they're going to have to look it up to make sure."

Guerrero was sure tough on the White Sox. The 6-foot-1 right-hander threw six solid innings, giving up just two hits and one run. He struck out three and walked none. After giving up a triple and a sacrifice fly to start the second inning, Guerrero (1-0) didn't allow another hit and retired 12 of the last 13 batters he faced.

"He pitched a gem," Mustangs catcher Justin Tordi said. "It was just a privilege to catch him. We were on the same page. Every pitch I put down there he was right there with me, hitting his spots, in and out, changing speeds. He was on. Hopefully we'll see that the whole year."

The Mustangs had 12 hits in all. Leadoff batter Billy Rojo had three hits and reached base four times, while Logan Parker joined McKennon with two hits. Drew Stubbs, the Cincinnati Reds' No. 1 draft pick this season, went 1-for-2 and also reached base four times. He was hit by a pitch twice.

Marcos Mateo threw two scoreless innings in relief of Guerrero, while James Morris threw the ninth, giving up the second White Sox run. Morris managed to strike out the side, though, as the three Mustangs pitchers combined for seven strikeouts and just one base on balls.

"We couldn't have scripted it any better," Mustangs manager Rick Burleson said. "The big thing is for us to come out tomorrow with the same intensity as we did tonight. It's one game, it's over and tomorrow is a new day. That's the way we need to approach it. I think we're going to be a good ball club."

NOTES: The opener marked the first time Tordi, a converted shortstop, had ever caught in a game. Tordi was drafted out of the University of Florida last season, but signed too late to play anywhere for the Reds' organization. ... McKennon hit his grand slam one pitch after getting hit on the hand with a pitch, but the home plate umpire ruled the ball had hit his bat. "I guess I thank him for it now," McKennon said about not being awarded first base. ... The Mustangs committed one error, but it didn't cost them. Great Falls had four errors that led to four unearned runs. ... Great Falls batter John Shelby shattered his bat in the third inning and the barrel flew well into the stands down the third-base line. No one was hurt, however. ... The Mustangs are still awaiting two more Reds' draft picks in Justin Turner and Danny Dorn, who are still playing for Cal State Fullerton in the College World Series. The two are slated for Billings once they finish their season and sign with the Reds.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...mustangs_z.txt

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine

Milton Loo is no longer listed on the GCL Reds roster.
    Any idea why?

good night from guererro, though i dont like only 3ks in rookie.

Turn Off Ads?