Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broadcasters blast B.P.

Broadcasters blast B.P.

I watch all the reds games on mlb.tv due to not being in the area. So about half the time I am subject to the other teams announcers. As was the case last night during the mets games. On the play when Brandon was heading caught out to dry after the squeeze was popped up Orlando Hernandez was trying to tag him. B.P. wouldnt let him and tried to run around him. He was tagged out. Obviously Phillips would rather the pitcher throw to third then just let him tag him. Well the Mets broadcasters laid into him for it and call it clownery and said that is the reason he wore out his welcome in Cleveland. I'm use to announcers being homers but I thought this was uncalled for. To question someones character for doing what he should do. Anyone else see this? Or does anyone agree with them that he was wrong in doing this?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Broadcasters blast B.P.

Those guys need to lighten up. I thought it was funny.

Keith Hernandez may have been drinking again, hard to know. Mostly they were grumpy about the Reds handing the Mets another defeat, and were grumpy all night, as near as I could tell.

They need to lighten up.

Keith Hernandez is an idiot. He's one of those "prima donna" ex-players that stand high and mighty over the so-called "players of today." El Duque could've just tagged BP instead of standing there. It was nothing, but it opened the door for Keith to bash a young guy.

If Phillips was a Met, he'd have nothing but praise for him -- that's the hypocracy that comes with these "team owned" cable channels. I think sometimes the announcers get so frustrated with having to softball the home team that they take extra pot shots at the visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Keith Hernandez is an idiot. He's one of those "prima donna" ex-players that stand high and mighty over the so-called "players of today." El Duque could've just tagged BP instead of standing there. It was nothing, but it opened the door for Keith to bash a young guy.

If Phillips was a Met, he'd have nothing but praise for him -- that's the hypocracy that comes with these "team owned" cable channels. I think sometimes the announcers get so frustrated with having to softball the home team that they take extra pot shots at the visitors.
    And he doesn't like girls in the dugout. Maybe all the Just for Men has gone to his brain.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds

Exactly. Where was the criticism when El Dueque just stood there and folded his arms? That was ok, but Phillips trying to run around him was clownery.

Keith Hernandez=
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

With Bob Castellini at the game, I often wondered what he thought of that.

Bandon Phillips was in no-man's land. But, you're not supposed to let yourself get tagged out. The idea is to force the other team to make a throw. It was an odd looking play, but I don't think it was "clownery". I just think neither Phillips nor Hernandez knew quite what to do. Hernandez should have either run up to Phillips and tagged him, or run to third base and tag it. He did neither, so he kind of looked like the clown for just standing there as if expecting our man to run up to him and tag himself out.

If Phillips were truly a head case, he would have gone ballistic on El Duque when the pitcher tossed the ball at him after the play was over. That was rather clown-ish as well.

I liked what BP did. Don't let them just have an out. El Duque could have easily just turned and threw it to first, but for some reason he had to tag BP. Then after he tagged BP he threw the ball at BP. IMO, what El Duque did was more clowny then BP.

As for Keith Hernandez, he also said we have a "no-name infield". I could care less what that guy says.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

When I saw the highlights of the game this morning, it appeared that Phillips and El Duque made eye contact and just sort of laughed. No big deal. Hernandez blew it out of proportion.

He didn;t really ket up about it for a couple of innings either.
    School's out. What did you expect?

I think it was a bit of clownery, bc at the end he pointed out to second saying something like "hey look" el duque turned and BP used the ump as a pick and tried to make it to 3rd.

I loved it! It is his ability to have fun during the game that makes him a joy to watch. No one else smiles as much as him, and you can tell he loves to play the game. If he was slacking while 'joking' around, then there would be problems, but he obviously is a high effort guy.

He is a 180 from D'Lo, and thank god for that.

What was Phillips supposed to do...just waltz over and throw himself on El Duque's glove?

Just like when a runner is caught in a rundown, his job is to delay making the out for as long as possible (and hopefully force the throw). Many times, the other runners are able to advance an extra base or even score a run while the "dead runner" is delaying the inevitable.

What if El Duque decided he had enough with Phillips and was going to make the throw to 3rd base to complete the double play....but then he throws in into left? With Phillips' speed, he at least makes it back to 3rd and breaks up the double play.

I'll bet Hernandez is the kinda guy who would ask you to help him move his furniture the day after he met you...
    Last edited by Blimpie; 06-20-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Since when is the runner obligated to concede an out? I'm not big on Phillips point and running around the ump, but El Duque just standing there holding his glove out was even stupider. Why in the world should BP just run in to the tag? Go tag him you lazy bum!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

That's complete idiocy to rip BP for that play. If they were paying attention they would have noticed that it was Hernandez who actually made no effort to tag BP. WTF do the announcers want BP to do? Run back up the line so he can be tagged out? What a bunch of jokers.
    Brian

Editor StorageReview.com - SSD & HDD Reviews

Turn Off Ads?