Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Broadcasters blast B.P.

Re: Broadcasters blast B.P.

I thought that this was a pot shot at people who blast Baseball Prospectus, and I figured that was status quo, especially in light of Joe Morgan's distaste of statistics.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    When I saw the highlights of the game this morning, it appeared that Phillips and El Duque made eye contact and just sort of laughed. No big deal. Hernandez blew it out of proportion.
    Hernadez threw the ball (well more tossed it to BP), then Phillips just threw it in the air. It didn't seem too friendly to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

I didn't see the Phillips incident but Hernandez made some comments about Hatteberg getting an HBP later in the game. He said something about hating how the modern-day player will stick his arm out to try to get hit. While that may be true in Brady Clark's case, it certainly wasn't in Hattebergs. He also said that Hatteberg made absolutely no effort to get out of the way. I watched that probably 5 times looking for anything that Hatteberg might have done to make Hernandez say that. While he didn't jump out of the way, Hatteberg did pull his arm in and turned away. I'm guessing if it would have been Delgado there wouldn't have been any mention of the modern day ballplayer. My wife even said "what's he talking about?" I responded with a drug relapse comment that probably wasn't appropriate either
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    I'll bet Hernandez is the kinda guy who would ask you to help him move his furniture the day after he met you...

At least he's not the type of guy that would spit on you if you called him a pretty boy

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine
    When I saw the highlights of the game this morning, it appeared that Phillips and El Duque made eye contact and just sort of laughed. No big deal. Hernandez blew it out of proportion.
    Phillips was laughing but El Duque was not.

Why didn't El Duque just walk back to third and touch the base? He was being as stubborn as Phillips was. I personally didn't think it was a big deal and would feel the same if the situation was reversed. We'll find out soon enough if the Mets had a problem with it.

El Duque was not happy, I agree he's nuts if he thinks Phillips is going just run into his arms. Go tag him. The Ump gave the youre out of the baseline out call anyway. I didnt understand El Duque getting uset. Phillips seems to be having a blast. He gave Lopez a jumping high five after the game and I was wondering who that was that did that with Phillips. I thought it was Jr at first. I love to see the emotion, thats why I think if they can just straighten out the bull pen they have a legit shot at the wildcard.

Clownery as in a player who high fives the crowd after hitting a game tying homer in the 9th? What was Keith's position on that one?
    Last edited by OldXOhio; 06-20-2006 at 04:29 PM.

Stat geek...and proud

I went for a drive last night during the middle innings, and although I can get WLW loud and clear, sometimes I like to hear the other team's radio crew. The Mets radio guys were bashing Griffey, saying he didn't seem to love the game anymore like he did when he was young. Well, gee, morons, don't you think multiple surgerys and rehabs might have something to do with it. When he's healthy, you still see the old smiling Griffey, but they didn't mention that.

Gee, Griffey doesn't act like a kid anymore, now that he is not a kid? What an outrage, maybe he should just retire.

I too caught the garbage about Hatteberg and the modern player comment. I went balistic and was telling my wife that if a Met player was the one who got hit it would have been ten minutes of how tough this Met team is and how guys are willing to give up their bodies to get on base. As the other poster said, there would of been no mention of the modern player had that been Delgado.

That is one reason I like Chris Welsch. He doesn't come out with venom whenever a guy gets on base like so many of these other guys do. Hernandez is so unproffesional. But I think I like him more than Fran Healey. Now that guy was tough to listen to.

Worth The Wait

Iowa brought up the real idiocy last night. Hernandez ripped into Hatte for "leaning" in the pitch. He inferred that it was "sissy modern day" baseball. Some of the ex-players are good analysts, but I hate the unwritten rule that a former player/coach must be the analyst. A guy like Hernandez brings NOTHING to the booth except tired old stories about the 86 Mets.

I asked brandon about it today, he said that it was all fun and games to him until hernandez threw the ball at him. He was kind of mad but just turned it into a joke because he didnt want to do anything stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon4MVP
    I asked brandon about it today, he said that it was all fun and games to him until hernandez threw the ball at him. He was kind of mad but just turned it into a joke because he didnt want to do anything stupid.
    Thanks, always good to have family on the board.

I am glad BP didn't blow it up and kept his cool.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Keith Hernandez was also whining about the ball Hatteberg took on the arm late in yesterday's game. Herndandez got all pissy about Hatteberg making no attempt to get out of the way of the ball. "No excuse for him pullin' that stuff".

Hernandez is actually one of those announcers that's so bad he becomes entertaining to listen to. His idiotic comments add color to the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldez
    Keith Hernandez was also whining about the ball Hatteberg took on the arm late in yesterday's game. Herndandez got all pissy about Hatteberg making no attempt to get out of the way of the ball. "No excuse for him pullin' that stuff".

Hernandez is actually one of those announcers that's so bad he becomes entertaining to listen to. His idiotic comments add color to the broadcast.
    Maybe he could go to the "Rick Sutcliffe School of Broadcasting" brought to you by Budweiser.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Turn Off Ads?