Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jason Johnson DFA'd by Indians

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Jason Johnson DFA'd by Indians

Johnson's DERA is below 5, so he's actually pitched a little better than his actual ERA. He may be worth a chance if we can get him for, basically, nothing.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Get him for free.
    Even then, I'm not sure if I'd take him over anyone on the staff beyond maybe Joe Mays. And at least Mays is more suitable for GABP, being a worm-killer. Johnson is a flyball guy, like Ramon Ortiz.

Ewww.

Why is it that every time someone lousy gets the ol' DFA there's a thread clamoring for the Reds to go after him? Can we not have a little higher expectation for the team than to sift through everyone else's garbage? There's a reason teams dump these guys, it's because they just aren't very good.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    Why is it that every time someone lousy gets the ol' DFA there's a thread clamoring for the Reds to go after him? Can we not have a little higher expectation for the team than to sift through everyone else's garbage? There's a reason teams dump these guys, it's because they just aren't very good.
    I'm guessing you didn't want any part of Phillips or Ross then?

Because you hope for another Brandon Phillips like surprise, and, if you don't have to trade much or pay much salary, sometimes it's worth the gamble - low risk, perhaps some reward?

I think any team - but especially a "small market" team that does not have a strong minor league system - has to look at anybody who becomes available. You don't have to sign every one, but at least considering it may be worth the effort.

I am in SHOCK that Jason Johnson got issued his walking papers. Such a talent.

Actually I am still amazed DanO didn't sign the guy this winter.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2
    I am in SHOCK that Jason Johnson got issued his walking papers. Such a talent.

Actually I am still amazed DanO didn't sign the guy this winter.
    He "sweetened" the pot too much. Sent Johnson into shock I guess.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Why is it that every time someone lousy gets the ol' DFA there's a thread clamoring for the Reds to go after him? Can we not have a little higher expectation for the team than to sift through everyone else's garbage?
    Would you rather have us sift through the Mexican League, Danny?

Makes all the routine posts.

Sowers is his replacement in the rotation.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns
    I'm guessing you didn't want any part of Phillips or Ross then?
    Nope, thought Phillips was garbage and didn't see the point of three catchers. OK, I get one wrong once in a while. But it's worth noting that those are position players. Most of the calls for picking up DFAs are for pitchers, and they're just terrible pitchers at that. They're usually guys with ERAs north of 5, or more likely 6. How is that a help? I'd rather not keep recycling castoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    Would you rather have us sift through the Mexican League, Danny?

The Mexican League is where all the stars are at! That and Japan.

I wouldn't touch Jason Johnson with a 10 foot pole. He was mediocre last year, and I'm surprised we didn't sign him, he has been AWFUL this year with a $3.something mil contract. Absolutely not a good move by the Indians. He is a Paul Wilson type.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

Nope, thought Phillips was garbage and didn't see the point of three catchers. OK, I get one wrong once in a while. But it's worth noting that those are position players. Most of the calls for picking up DFAs are for pitchers, and they're just terrible pitchers at that. They're usually guys with ERAs north of 5, or more likely 6. How is that a help? I'd rather not keep recycling castoffs.
    The point is that you can find some gems even in other teams crap bins. It never hurts to look, just be smart about it. Getting Johnson would likely be a poor choice. He's had years of poor pitching.

You can find some good pitchers in the garbage dump too. Bobby Jenks, Derrick Turnbow are good examples. Pete Schorek was picked up by the Reds and almost won a Cy Young for us. Bronson Arroyo was claimed by Boston and that panned out okay. Doug Davis was also claimed on waivers (however by the Jays not the Brewers).

Pitchers improve. Teams like the Reds need to look under every rock for pitchers. You may just find a hidden gem. It never hurts to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott
    Even then, I'm not sure if I'd take him over anyone on the staff beyond maybe Joe Mays. And at least Mays is more suitable for GABP, being a worm-killer. Johnson is a flyball guy, like Ramon Ortiz.

Ewww.
    Could he be worse then Burns/Weathers ?
    Go Gators!

Sowers to debut against Reds.

Tribe drops Johnson from roster
    By Paul Hoynes
    Plain Dealer Reporter

Right-hander Jason Johnson was designated for assignment Tuesday afternoon in a flurry of roster moves by the Indians that will lead to left-hander Jeremy Sowers making his big-league debut Sunday against the Reds at Jacobs Field. Johnson, who gave up six runs to the Cubs in Monday’s 12-8 loss, was 3-8 with a 5.96 ERA in 14 starts.

The Indians must pay Johnson what remains of his one-year $4 million contract, including a $500,000 buyout, if they are unable to trade him within the next 10 days.The Tribe still owes Johnson just over $2.2 million.In other moves, right-hander Jeremy Guthrie was optioned to Class AAA Buffalo, while right-hander Edward Mujica and utility man Joe Inglett were added to the Indians from Buffalo.

Sowers started for Buffalo on Tuesday night. GM Mark Shapiro said he would be added to the roster later this week in preparation for Sunday’s start. The Indians will have to make another roster move to create a spot for Sowers.

One possbility is placing Jason Michaels on the disabled list. Michaels has been slow to recover from a sprained right ankle suffered Thursday in a collision with the outfield fence at Yankee Stadium.

Sowers, the Indians No.1 pick in 2004, went into Tuesday’s start at 8-1 with a 1.27 ERA in 14 starts.“It would be wrong to say he’s going to come up here and throw this team on his back,“ said Shapiro.The Indians signed Johnson as a No.5 starter. He won his first two decisions and then went 1-8.“We felt it was time to make a move,“ said manager Eric Wedge.

Turn Off Ads?