Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Joey Gathright Traded to the Royals

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Joey Gathright Traded to the Royals

Wow.. I think Gathright has more upside then really given. I look at him much like I look at Wily Mo. If given the chance to play everyday, I think his numbers would improve.

But the D-Rays I think got a good arm and talent in JP.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Really was not fair to have Joey sit around in AAA. We really needed an arm. Rocco is back on track, Crawford is in good shape, Delmon is not suspended and Gomes is having a great year.

Our bench is horrible. Too many guys hitting .230, .200 or worse. That is just flat out unacceptable. I made a push to sign Jacob Cruz some time ago but we have a lot of believers in the .194 hitting Russell Branyan.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

I like Gathright; I think he will hit eventually and wow can he play some defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    Our bench is horrible. Too many guys hitting .230, .200 or worse. That is just flat out unacceptable. I made a push to sign Jacob Cruz some time ago but we have a lot of believers in the .194 hitting Russell Branyan.
    That's because Ol' Russ brings the John Wayne-stature and swagger with the rose-colored outta-sight home run shot potential.

Take off the window dressing and you have a strike out machine with that long, loopy undercut.

Not only does your bench hit .200, so does your starting first baseman. Can't you just plug in Huff at 1b, pencil him in there and go with it, or does Huff get his gloves from AK Steel?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    That's because Ol' Russ brings the John Wayne-stature and swagger with the rose-colored outta-sight home run shot potential.

Take off the window dressing and you have a strike out machine with that long, loopy undercut.

Not only does your bench hit .200, so does your starting first baseman. Can't you just plug in Huff at 1b, pencil him in there and go with it, or does Huff get his gloves from AK Steel?
    Aubrey has been hurt most of the season. I know he has played in less than 50 games. He can rake, he just has to get some consistent AB's. He'll finish up strong, if he even finishes with us. I know he went 4 for 5 tonight.

Our roster is really a piece meal. Wigginton is in RF and he should be playing 3B. Lee, I'm not sure why we have Lee, has been playing 1B while Aubrey plays 3B. Hmmmm.... Our OF is set and our catching is status quo (O'Brien reference) Lugo is a good SS and Cantu is a serviceable 2B who hits pretty well. There is talk of Cantu being moved for some pretty good pitching.

Personally, I would do the Crawford for Wainright and Duncan trade. I'd release Lee and let Duncan play every day. I'd go ahead and move Aubrey to pick up a decent starter and one prospect.

We'd line up with Kazmir, Wainright, Hendrickson, Shields and whoever we acquired in the trade for Huff.

Wigg at 3B, Lugo at SS, Cantu at 2b and Duncan at 1B. Young in RF, Baldelli in CF and Gomes in LF. I can live with that. Bench is still kaput but we may have a little money to fix that.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Re: Joey Gathright Trade to the Royals

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco
    Ugh, I'm not sure if going from the Royals to the Drays is a big step up in your career... heh. Both teams are terrible. That said, I do like Howell more than Joey G.
    The Northern League is a step up from the Royals.

My co-rec softball team is a small step down. Very small.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I guess I don't understand everyone in baseball's rabid fascination with guys who run fast.

This is a guy who once he got past A ball, immediately forgot how to take a walk, meaning if his streaky bat isn't hot, he's worthless at the plate. Three years, with plenty of scouting reports out now, show that he hasn't yet proven how to hit major league pitching.

And no, he really can't play defense. He's fast, so he makes it look like he does. He has too weak an arm to play CF regularly, so he destined to be a LF.

The scouting report on him has been the same for years.

"He's really, really fast. So he can run really fast to balls deep in the OF. But, he can't really throw. And we are keeping our fingers crossed that one day, we hope he'll learn how to hit."

Because "you can't teach speed."
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    Because "you can't teach speed."
    By looking at the way the Reds are hitting lately, doesn't look like you can teach hitting either.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Clark
    We'd line up with Kazmir, Wainright, Hendrickson, Shields and whoever we acquired in the trade for Huff.

Wigg at 3B, Lugo at SS, Cantu at 2b and Duncan at 1B. Young in RF, Baldelli in CF and Gomes in LF. I can live with that. Bench is still kaput but we may have a little money to fix that.
    That'd be a good plan, except for the fact that Gomes can't play the field because of his shoulder...that kind of limits him to DH probably until next year.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    That'd be a good plan, except for the fact that Gomes can't play the field because of his shoulder...that kind of limits him to DH probably until next year.
    True.... Obviously I was speaking of hypotheticals but it would be a good start.
    Cedric 3/24/08

Didn't some team offer TB and better deal for Gathright in spring training? I thought it was like Boston before they landed Coco? Am I wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake
    Didn't some team offer TB and better deal for Gathright in spring training? I thought it was like Boston before they landed Coco? Am I wrong??
    IIRC, both Boston and Florida were said to have made offers or at least had talks about Gathright.

I think TB was pushing for one of FLA's better pitching prospects and talks broke down between the two because TB wouldn't budge. Not sure what BOS offered, if anything. This is all off of memory from spring training, so I may have some of this wrong, but that's what I thought I remembered.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I guess I don't understand everyone in baseball's rabid fascination with guys who run fast.
    Branch Rickey baby, when he would do his scouting combines across the country it was the very first thing he would do. Run the boys and knock off the slow ones, eventually you'd have a guy that could run but not do the rest, or even anything... but he could run.

This was specifically valuable when the OF was a cow pasture, Crosley, Forbes, Braves Field and again in the 70's. The Reds reaped some good picks with that theory over the years, Harry Craft, Curt Flood, Geronimo, Milner.

I think the Red Sox were probably trying to get both Gathright and Lugo in the same deal. I don't see them trading a lot of value just for Gathright, and winding up with mostly glove guys at both positions.

Turn Off Ads?