Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame

I think most people agree that the All Star Game is pretty much one big popularity contest. Along the same lines, there are continual arguments over who is in the HOF and who isn't.

So my question's are:

1) Who is the most deserving player that isn't in the HOF and should be? Why? At the risk of stiring up the Pete Rose fans, let's avoid him for this topic only because that topic has been hashed to death.

2) Who is the most undeserving player that is in the HOF and shouldn't be? Why?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hall of Fame

1) 3B Ron Santo, because he's probably one of the six or seven greatest third basemen of all-time.
    2) 1B George Kelly, because there's likely more than 50 first basemen throughout MLB history who were greater than Kelly.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I have this debate with my dad all the time. His litmus test is "if you have to ask... NO!"

Here's one statistical way of looking at it:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/ab...#hof_standards

By baseball-reference.com's standards, most of the non-HOF but eligible guys are from the Dead Ball era (eg Jimmy Ryan, George Van Haltren). Their highest ranked modern era non-HOF guys are Bucky Walters, Ted Simmons, Andre Dawson, Dwight Evans and Jim Rice.

They have several other litmus metrics available there, all designed by Bill James.
    Last edited by dabvu2498; 06-20-2006 at 10:20 PM.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Phil Rizzuto for #2

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

santo for #1
    puckett, while not the most undeserving, has always rubbed me the wrong way...think he got in mostly due to his on the field personality, which we know was not necessarily the real kirby...

#1 - Bert Blyleven. How can the guy who is #5 on the list for career strikeouts not be in the Hall of Fame? So what if he didn't win 300 games. That's like keeping out the #5 all-time home run hitter because he didn't have enough RBI. Keeping out a guy who was great individually because his team-dependent stats are lackluster is silly. Besides, his curve ball was a thing of beauty.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

1. Blyleven
    2. Ozzie Smith

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Answer to No. 1 - Goose Gossage - There was a 10 year stretch between the middle of the 70's to the middle of the 80's where he was one of baseball's best pitchers. Not best relief pitchers, but best pitchers.

Answer to No. 2 - Bill Mazeroski - Could make a case that Mazeroski is the worst hitter in the Baseball Hall of Fame. Embarrasingly bad hitter to be considered a hall of fame player. Was elected because of his defense, yet he didn't play one of the premium defensive spots on the field (SS, CF, C). In my mind, would be akin to electing Orlando Hudson to the HOF today - a weak hitting but excellent glove man.

I'm not sure who is the least deserving member of the HOF, but I'm pretty sure he played with Frankie Frisch on the New York Giants in the 1920s: Fred Lindstrom, George Kelly, Ross Youngs, Travis Jackson....Frisch suceeded in getting the Veterans Committee to elect a bunch of his undeserving cronies from the Giants into the HOF.
    Most deserving? Previously posters have mentioned Santo, Blyleven and Gossage, and I can't really argue against any of them.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by kheidg-
    2. Ozzie Smith
    I'm of the mind that topnotch glove work should be a consideration in entering the Hall of Fame and I think that's the primary reason Ozzie is in the hall. I also think it's why Concepcion should be in (albeit just barely). Smith and Concepcion were at the tailend of light hitting shortstops. Today they pale beside the beefier shortstops of today (although that might be a whole different debate).

My thought on this question of defense as a factor is that ultimately it acknowledges that baseball isn't only about offense. And it's not just about the boppers, the beefy numbers (particularly home runs). I think Smith and Concepcion brought something to this game which makes it an art and not just for sluggers.

For most undeserving, Johnny Evers and Joe Tinker come to mind immediately.

We get it, there was a poem written about you. Maybe I'll write a famous poem about Dennys Reyes, and hopefully that will do it for him too...

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/bp/1409616.html

The omission of Ron Santo is the most egregious mistake ever made by the Baseball Writers Association of America. They should have inducted Santo 20 years ago, and that they overlooked him throughout his 15 years on the ballot is a shame. I sincerely hope that the new Veterans Committee rights the error quickly. It will be a boon to their credibility and a honor for a man too long left outside the hallowed halls of Cooperstown.

WHOOOOOO!

1. Davey Concepcion
    2. Phil Rizzuto
    If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.-Jimmy Buffett

Agree wholeheartedly that Blyleven should be in. He has the numbers, as well as the added tribute of top hitters of the era saying his curveball was virtually unhittable. It's absurd that his W/L record is keeping him out, as Yachtzee said, considering the awful teams he played for.

I also think Tim Raines should be in. Had 2600 career hits and was an on-base and SB machine.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Jim Rice

8 time All-Star
    382 career homers 1,451 RBI's .298 lifetime AVG
    9 times A.L. Top Ten in RBI's (#1 twice)
    9 times Top Ten in Total Bases (# 1 4 times)
    8 times Top Ten in hits (#1 once)
    7 times Top Ten in HR's (#1 3 times)
    6 times Top Ten in AVG
    6 times Top Ten in runs
    51st all time in homers and RBI's
    61st in Total Bases
    91st in hits

Rice has to go and Santo should as well. It is a joke that neither is in right now.

Turn Off Ads?