Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What grade do you hand out to Jerry Narron?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Narron's my boy, and he's one of the best managers in baseball!

2 0.81%
  • B - Narron does a pretty good job overall, and I'm pleased with his management.

73 29.67%
  • C - Meah

86 34.96%
  • D - Narron's on thin ice, and the ice is quickly beginning to crack.

48 19.51%
  • F - Narron should be fired right now.

37 15.04%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grade Jerry Narron

Grade Jerry Narron

You guys know what to do.
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 06-20-2006 at 11:39 PM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Grade Jerry Narron

I gave him a C, beucase while he has shown good results, I think has managed this team VERY poorly.

He's a good stop gap but he won't be the manager to get this team past a .500 record.
    Go Gators!

I think he's on thin ice, but I think that started to break once Cast took over. He was and is a lame duck as I see it. His use of the few good players he has has not been acceptable, but I don't think Sparky, Lou, Cox et. al. would have had this team playing substantially better. Maybe worth a few more wins.
    This place use to be fun

B for Bullpen. Because if Narron had a better bullpen he'd be in first place, which in the game of baseball is a pretty good place in the standings.

I only have one major bone, and that is his lineup construction, and because I think that is a huge part of being a manager, I went with a C.

He has to stop playing favorites, it makes me ill to see Richie batting cleanup, especially vs. a RH.

On a side note, never bring in Yan with the bases loaded in a close ball game, that is managerial suicide.

I think he does a pretty good job as a clubhouse guy but he seems to really depend a little too much on guys like Aurilia for my taste. Plus he tinkers too much. I don't think he should be fired, but I'm not sure he shoudl be asked back either.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

I think the Reds will continue this year to be a work in progress. Frankly while I'm not fond of listening to Narron on the radio, I'm curious to see how he'd be with a team just a bit better - or rather more consistent. I like his philosphy and would like to see him get a better bullpen to hold on to leads or keep us in it on close games. My goodness! Did we once think we'd have a reasonably good starting staff? Imagine if our BP was better!

Jerry is average. He is not the reason the Reds are struggling of late.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Narron is a bench player's nightmare. Get on his "B" list and you get no PT.
    Get on his "A" list and you will never be out of the lineup.

Instead of using his 25 guys, he is content with using 15 or 16. The regulars get into mental ruts and the subs get rusty.

Look at Randolph...for example. Milledge is only up for Floyd, but he gets PT.

When Denorfia was up here (for Griffey) he started what? Once?

I gave him a C. And that's assuming he had something to do with the Williams and White DFA's.
    He is generally better than Miley but maintains some of Miley's traits, in particular the VET-LOVE. I understand that. As a 40 something, Narron relates much better to the 30 somethings than the 20 somethings (esp. those who speak little english).

(Actually Narron is 50).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    Look at Randolph...for example. Milledge is only up for Floyd, but he gets PT.

When Denorfia was up here (for Griffey) he started what? Once?
    I think Deno and Lastings Milledge are apples to oranges. Milledge has a very high ceiling, where Deno will hit for average and play good defense. Plus when Griffey was out, we all wanted Freel to start anyway. And I think that was the right move. So we had a better bench player to start instead of Deno.

Narron wouldn't be under so much scrutiny if we had less errors and better relief pitching. Sometimes I think you could flip a coin for who to bring out of the bull pen. He seems to be hoping that the experienced players are going to instill some professionalism, patience and stamina that the young kids may be lacking. On the other hand we see that it's just as important to get more of the youthful enthusiasm on the field. We're not fielding a playoff team, its a work in progress... I give it two years to really put it to the test. Narron doesn't have that go get em I'd like to see. I like Ozzie, there's no laying back on that team but he also has top quality players he can change in and out. So given the lack of talent I give Narron a C. If the players were producing he's probably get a B-, but they aren't.

I think "meah" should be an option on every survey. I'd never pick anything else.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

F

Narron won't be the manager next year unless somehow we miraculously make the playoffs, and for the sake of the organization I hope we don't, so we can be rid of Jerry Narron.

His lineups are horrible, if he's behind having Q up over Denorfia that is a huge issue, he doesn't know when to yank pitchers, and only a few times has he shown any true fire when arguing calls for our team.

Bottomline, he's one of DanO's boys, and we need to rid ourselves of every last move made by DanO.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    Narron won't be the manager next year unless somehow we miraculously make the playoffs, and for the sake of the organization I hope we don't, so we can be rid of Jerry Narron.
    Ahh, the old "we've got to destroy the village to save it" menality.

Interesting.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Turn Off Ads?