Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What grade do you hand out to Jerry Narron?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Narron's my boy, and he's one of the best managers in baseball!

2 0.81%
  • B - Narron does a pretty good job overall, and I'm pleased with his management.

73 29.67%
  • C - Meah

86 34.96%
  • D - Narron's on thin ice, and the ice is quickly beginning to crack.

48 19.51%
  • F - Narron should be fired right now.

37 15.04%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grade Jerry Narron

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Grade Jerry Narron

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    He's a good stop gap but he won't be the manager to get this team past a .500 record.
    Hasn't he now managed the team for a full season, with a record above .500?

2. Turn Off Ads?

3 games over doesn't fill me with glee
    Go Gators!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21

Narron won't be the manager next year unless somehow we miraculously make the playoffs, and for the sake of the organization I hope we don't, so we can be rid of Jerry Narron.
    I thought we did that already to get rid of DanO..
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I thought we did that already to get rid of DanO..

One step at a time my friend, one step at a time.

I will be shocked if Narron is the manager come opening day 2007 if we don't make the playoffs.

Sadly I won't be, he's a baseball guy and I think Krivsky likes that sort of thing
    Go Gators!

Boone/Miley v3.0 with the lineups and some real head scratchers with his use of the pen(as bad as they are). Also,much like Miley, his team shows a profound inclination to commit the mental mistakes whenever given the opportunity.

I can't fault any manager for the pen, thats just a massive lack of talent. I can fault him when his team makes mental mistakes, fails to hustle and lets their collective plate discipline fall apart for long stretches of time. These type of things are a direct reflection on the manager.

That said, Miley and Boone had the same issues. I think its as much on some of these players as it is the manager and this is a big part of the reason I'm so in favor of a complete and utter turn over of personnel.

I had started to give him a B with the thought process of "well, we were picked to be horrible and we're in 2nd place, 1st in the WC race, etc etc". But the more I thought about it, I changed him to a C for Meah.

I don't like his penchant for chasing percentages and trying to be overly clever with the line up. Even then, I think he miss-manges it with RA in clean up, Hatteburg 2nd, etc etc. But in general, I am a big believer of going with a semi-regular line up based on players strengths and letting the players use their tallents to fill the role. Constantly chasing every last little matchup doesn't make sense to me.

I hate his use of the bull-pen. To his credit, he's choosing between cold dog poo and warm dog poo so he's not got a lot of choices. However, why the heck he kept running Rick White out there is beyond me. Mike Burns got called up and imediatley he's sent out to be shelled. His insistance on using Weathers as a closer was also odd. He seems to like to use the bull-pen for about 1 inning each. That isn't a huge deal, but sometimes it does bug me.

Lastly is his somewhat uncomfortable man-love for the vets. I'm all for experience, mentoring the youth, etc. But when JR when down Deno started how many games? 1 I think? How many times has McQ been sent to the plate in an important situation when Ross or even Javy were on the bench?

Do I hate Narron and think he should be fired? No. I think he's a so-so manager who will consistantly be in the middle of the pack. Will he be here next year? Probably, but it's too early to say. He's not The Kriv's man which works against him, but if they put up a decent season that may save him.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

With all due respect to those posting A, B, or C, the argument that if he had better players he'd be doing better is one of those thing that has driven me crazy over the years. Yes, if a manager has better players, he should do better. Give me a better team and I'd manager them to 98 wins. In fact, my yardstick has always been the best manager is the guy who does a good job despite his personnel.

Given a team like the Reds with streaky hitters, decent starting pitching, and no bullpen, a really good manager would devise a plan to win in spite of his team's shortcomings. Narron hasn't. He continues to put the same pitchers in games in mostly the same order so they can get bombed (example is Hammond first out of the bullpen, even though he's had a tough time getting anyone out or pulling a starter with success on a certain night for Hammond or White) or sending Q or Velentin to pinch hit when Griffey or someone is available. His lineups reek of old school and he adores veterans--bad veterans.

Yeah, he's done OK, but I'd bet that we could all name 6 or 7 games needlessly lost because of a decision he has made. And maybe I'm being unfair, but it is early in the season. Who knows what will happen the rest of the way? But as for now, he gets a C and that's not good enough to get us in contention for the playoffs year after year.
    Last edited by WVRedsFan; 05-09-2007 at 11:41 PM.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85
    Jerry is average. He is not the reason the Reds are struggling of late.
    Any manager would be struggling with this BP. I'd have pulled my hair out till I was bald by the All-Star break. :
    Last edited by GAC; 06-24-2006 at 06:31 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21
    His lineups are horrible, if he's behind having Q up over Denorfia that is a huge issue
    Highly doubful that he is.

Heck! Narron has jokingly said he'd love to have Homer up here.

Input? Yes. But overall, those decisions are not his to make.

On another thread, I think this statement sums up my sentiment on Narron....

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    Sometimes, a coach or manager's best job comes not with winning a pennant, but in getting the most out of a marginal bunch of players.

Getting more than expected out of a group of players is often unsung.

I gave him a "D".

B

F-something has to give, last place in the central is grounds for an F

F then and F now. I feel bad for him but nothings really changed.

Edit**Whoops said D when I meant F.
    Last edited by Marc D; 05-09-2007 at 11:09 PM.

Turn Off Ads?