Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What grade do you hand out to Jerry Narron?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Narron's my boy, and he's one of the best managers in baseball!

    2 0.81%
  • B - Narron does a pretty good job overall, and I'm pleased with his management.

    73 29.67%
  • C - Meah

    86 34.96%
  • D - Narron's on thin ice, and the ice is quickly beginning to crack.

    48 19.51%
  • F - Narron should be fired right now.

    37 15.04%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 73

Thread: Grade Jerry Narron

  1. #31
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,365

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    As bad as this team is defensively, bullpen and situational hitting.....you have to point the finger at the manager.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,959

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    Downgrade from a D to an F.

    He's not the biggest problem, but he's up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  4. #33
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,466

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    He's just average, so I gave him a C. I don't think he is the problem, but he isn't the solution either.

  5. #34
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Rainelle, WV
    Posts
    8,116

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc D View Post
    F then and F now. I feel bad for him but nothings really changed.

    Edit**Whoops said D when I meant F.
    I gave him an F then and an F now, even though I feel for him.

    Funny, but wasn't the orginal post just before he got that 2-year extention from Krivsky? Kiss of death.

    I predict both Narron and Krivsky won't survive until 2008. Just a hunch, but when attendance drops (and it will), a change will be made. This is Miley territory, Castellini will not stand for it.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

  6. #35
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,642

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    I give him a B.

    I honestly don't know what everyone here wants out of a manager, because asking anyone to have a winning season with the 25 man roster as constructed is probably asking the impossible.

    Edwin Encarnacion made 2 errors tonight. Somebody posted bad defense as the responsibility of the manager. I don't get that at all -- every person on this team is a big leaguer. If they suck it hard at defense, then it is because the instructors along the way in the minor leagues didn't coach these guys properly and/or they simply don't have the ability to play defense to a high level. Once you reach the major leagues, its tweaking. A tweak to the batting stance. A tweak to the first step when fielding. Etc.

    Edwin Encarnacion is one the many arguments that fans won't let Narron win. If he plays Edwin and he continues to be a mangler with the glove, people gripe that Narron's teams don't play fundamentally sound. If he benches Edwin for better defense, people gripe that he's being too hard on the kid and not letting him play through his mistakes. Its all part of this sick self-loathing culture that Reds have with players and managers that don't fit into whatever personal paradigm they have for what a manager or player should be. People hate Dunn because he's not Rose or Davis. People hate Narron because he's not what they remember McKeon or Sparky being like.

    I judge Narron based on the moves he makes. They usually (unless it involves letting Juan Castro swing a bat) make some degree of sense given the circumstances. That alone makes him better than Boone and better than Miley. He's probably somewhere in the B/C range, and I give him the benefit of the doubt because he DID manage a squad of overachievers last season.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 05-10-2007 at 12:08 AM.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

  7. #36
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    I have to agree with Paul Daugherty(reluctantly) listening to the after game show.Even though Narron isn't the one to blame, he has to be fired because this is a business and he is'nt getting the job done.

  8. #37
    Member jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Troy, OH
    Posts
    2,636

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    Quote Originally Posted by Jr's Boy View Post
    I have to agree with Paul Daugherty(reluctantly) listening to the after game show.Even though Narron isn't the one to blame, he has to be fired because this is a business and he is'nt getting the job done.
    I don't think this makes any sense at all. You can't blame him, but you should fire him???? Firing Narron does nothing to help the current situation. It only adds fuel to the fire.

  9. #38
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I don't think this makes any sense at all. You can't blame him, but you should fire him???? Firing Narron does nothing to help the current situation. It only adds fuel to the fire.

    He was talking about how in the summer if the Reds are this bad,why even think to come to the ballpark and spend money.And manager's are the first to go whether or not it's their fault.

  10. #39
    Member wally post's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    The general manager is the problem, in particular, for his signing old guys in the bullpen that nobody else would ever want. (even Steinbrenner didn't want any more Stanton for instance)
    But I'm tired of Narron's old school secret handshake reasons for doing things. I'm TIRED of the cliches!
    Baseball is a lovely game full of subtlties and nuance. The Reds aren't on the same playing field as the other teams now. He has misused the talent that we have. MAybe it is a lack of communication between him and the front office. Maybe he is just happy to be there and won't make a fuss to fight for his needs. I'm done with it. Guilty by default.
    F.

  11. #40
    Firin Away Jr's Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,750

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    You would figure would go out and raise cain and get tossed,try something to light a fire under this team.I recall last season he was all fire and brimstone in a game.Can anyone find that pic where he was all up in that umpire's grill?I tried to find it.

  12. #41
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    I gave him a D. I hate what he does on the field (the bullpen use, lineups, etc.). However, I enjoy pretty much everything else about him (managing the players, handling reporters, etc.). Unfortunately, what's on the field is what really counts, so I gave him a D.

  13. #42
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,151

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    In a very cut and dry sense, WK is responsible for the guys on the roster and JN for how they are used on the field.

    However, no boss/subordinate relationship is THAT cut and dry. All employees request resources from management and if they get them, they are expected to produce results.

    So Narron's grade...they one Krivsky will give him (and on which his job depends), will ultimately depend on how much input Narron himself has had in the personnel decisions of the last year and a half.

    If Narron has been participating and agreeing to the moves and if he gave a certain expectation as to what could be acheived (as in "yes Wayne, I can win with these guys")...he'll get the corresponding grade ("an F" for example) and dealt with accordingly.

    If it's been Narron pushing Krivsky to upgrade the bullpen over the last year and now he can't handle what he was given...well...you can imagine.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  14. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Williamsport, PA
    Posts
    12,365

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I give him a B.

    I honestly don't know what everyone here wants out of a manager, because asking anyone to have a winning season with the 25 man roster as constructed is probably asking the impossible.

    Edwin Encarnacion made 2 errors tonight. Somebody posted bad defense as the responsibility of the manager. I don't get that at all -- every person on this team is a big leaguer. If they suck it hard at defense, then it is because the instructors along the way in the minor leagues didn't coach these guys properly and/or they simply don't have the ability to play defense to a high level. Once you reach the major leagues, its tweaking. A tweak to the batting stance. A tweak to the first step when fielding. Etc.

    Edwin Encarnacion is one the many arguments that fans won't let Narron win. If he plays Edwin and he continues to be a mangler with the glove, people gripe that Narron's teams don't play fundamentally sound. If he benches Edwin for better defense, people gripe that he's being too hard on the kid and not letting him play through his mistakes. Its all part of this sick self-loathing culture that Reds have with players and managers that don't fit into whatever personal paradigm they have for what a manager or player should be. People hate Dunn because he's not Rose or Davis. People hate Narron because he's not what they remember McKeon or Sparky being like.

    I judge Narron based on the moves he makes. They usually (unless it involves letting Juan Castro swing a bat) make some degree of sense given the circumstances. That alone makes him better than Boone and better than Miley. He's probably somewhere in the B/C range, and I give him the benefit of the doubt because he DID manage a squad of overachievers last season.

    As bad as the defense is, why isn't the manager having infield practice before a game. It has been mentioned on the radio more than once. Narron doesn't just practice that but he doesn't make free swingers like Phillips and Encarncion take a pitch; doesn't practice situational hitting and has to make you wonder if he knows how to manage the game right along the same lines of playing the game right.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

  15. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,630

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    I can't. I just can't.

    Narron has shown so many good traits and has learned and changed as he's been on the job. He doesn't let his starters throw 130 pitches anymore. He doesn't have three catchers on his roster. He obviously has the support of his players and the front office. ....

    The way he runs his bullpen makes it impossible for guys to succeed down there. I thought for sure it would change this year. It hasn't. If he can't change that, he needs to go. The franchise cannot continue to spend such a huge amount of time and resources addressing the bullpen if there is no chance for success no matter who is down there.

    On the other hand....If he can change the way he uses his pen, he's easily the best man for the job and replacing him would be foolish churn.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

  16. #45
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,160

    Re: Grade Jerry Narron

    In this poll, Jerry's current GPA is 2.04 (through 188 votes).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25