Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What grade do you hand out to Jerry Narron?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • A - Narron's my boy, and he's one of the best managers in baseball!

2 0.81%
  • B - Narron does a pretty good job overall, and I'm pleased with his management.

73 29.67%
  • C - Meah

86 34.96%
  • D - Narron's on thin ice, and the ice is quickly beginning to crack.

48 19.51%
  • F - Narron should be fired right now.

37 15.04%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Grade Jerry Narron

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Re: Grade Jerry Narron

Anyone with some money to invest, I hear there's a market for a www.firejerrynarron.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    May 16th, 2007 ...

Bronson Arroyo pitches eight outstanding innings and walks off the field after the 8th inning of a 2-2 tie game with a pitch count of 110. Jerry Narron runs Arroyo out there for the 9th inning only to watch Arroyo run his pitch count drastically high, load the bases, and then walk in the winning run.

Arroyo's final pitch count: 129 pitches.

There is absolutely no good reason to let one of your franchise-caliber pitchers - who also happens to be under a fairly expensive contract for several seasons - throw 129 pitches in a single start, much less let him throw 129 pitches in a single start for a team that is 16-24 and in last place in the NL Central.

If Jerry Narron isn't interested in protecting this franchise's prized pitchers, then I'm not interested in him managing this club.
    Excellent post and I'd like to add to that...

If the General Manager doesn't move in swiftly to make Narron understand that concept, he should be gone immediately. And frankly, Narron's decision to stick with Arroyo was a huge vote of no confidence regarding his bullpen. The guy (Narron) tried to protect himself tonight. But both the GM and Manager have influence as to who is and who is not in that bullpen. I'd suggest that one of the two will go soon. But I'd also suggest that both need to go.

However, the weird thing is that Narron's refusal to go to the pen suggests a rift between Krivsky and Narron and it was pretty obvious over the past couple of games that Narron wanted nothing to do with Krivsky's guys.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

C, I blame the problems on Krivsky and not Narron. Narron had already used the only good arm in the bullpen last night for 3 innings so he had no other choice. I think the Reds could do better than Narron but they shouldn't waste their time until Krivsky starts making legitimate moves to improve this ballclub.
    Last edited by harangatang; 05-17-2007 at 01:07 AM. Reason: I suck at typing.

I like Narron,but that really struck a nerve when he did'nt go out there and take up for his players.Like I said in my last post that would have told all the players that hey narron is on our side.I could be wrong but I have a feeling that this might have struck a nerve with all the players to.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    C, I blame the problems on the Krivsky and not Narron. Narron had already used the only good arm in the bullpen last night for 3 innings so he had no other choice. I think the Reds could do better than Narron but they shouldn't waste their time until Krivsky starts making legitmate moves to improve this ballclub.

Oh I agree completly its not all narron's fought b/c he isn't the hitting coach,pitching coach or the gm.If narron goes then so should the other coachs EXSPECIALLY the hitting coach.Guys we were a hitting machine the past 5-6 years scoring 7-10 runs almost everygame NOW we our only scoring2- 3 runs a game it seems like.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

If the General Manager doesn't move in swiftly to make Narron understand that concept, he should be gone immediately. And frankly, Narron's decision to stick with Arroyo was a huge vote of no confidence regarding his bullpen. The guy (Narron) tried to protect himself tonight. But both the GM and Manager have influence as to who is and who is not in that bullpen. I'd suggest that one of the two will go soon. But I'd also suggest that both need to go.

However, the weird thing is that Narron's refusal to go to the pen suggests a rift between Krivsky and Narron and it was pretty obvious over the past couple of games that Narron wanted nothing to do with Krivsky's guys.
    I think you're right about that.

Nice to see you back BTW.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post

STEEL!!!!!

WHAT'S UP HOMEY!!!

You're back!!!

Welcome back bud!!!

Really missed ya!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    Anyone with some money to invest, I hear there's a market for a www.firejerrynarron.com
    The wheels are turning as we speak. Stay tuned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

May 16th, 2007 ...

Bronson Arroyo pitches eight outstanding innings and walks off the field after the 8th inning of a 2-2 tie game with a pitch count of 110. Jerry Narron runs Arroyo out there for the 9th inning only to watch Arroyo run his pitch count drastically high, load the bases, and then walk in the winning run.

There is absolutely no good reason to let one of your franchise-caliber pitchers - who also happens to be under a fairly expensive contract for several seasons - throw 129 pitches in a single start, much less let him throw 129 pitches in a single start for a team that is 16-24 and in last place in the NL Central.

If Jerry Narron isn't interested in protecting this franchise's prized pitchers, then I'm not interested in him managing this club.

Yet another example of how Narron doesn't put our guys in situations to succeed.

I understand if you have hesitations with the bullpen, but there's zero reason to trot Arroyo out there for the 9th. Let the bullpen lose the game, rather than pull a Dusty Baker with one of your only reliable arms.

Instead, we get Arroyo trying to do the impossible. Arroyo was in a position to fail, a position he's familiar with thanks to Narron.

Ryan Freel isn't a 3B. Yet another example of him putting our guys in a situation to fail.

I'm tired of waiting for Narron to put our guys in a situation to succeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Yet another example of how Narron doesn't put our guys in situations to succeed.

I understand if you have hesitations with the bullpen, but there's zero reason to trot Arroyo out there for the 9th. Let the bullpen lose the game, rather than pull a Dusty Baker with one of your only reliable arms.

Instead, we get Arroyo trying to do the impossible. Arroyo was in a position to fail, a position he's familiar with thanks to Narron.

Ryan Freel isn't a 3B. Yet another example of him putting our guys in a situation to fail.

I'm tired of waiting for Narron to put our guys in a situation to succeed.
    The sad part is Narron has no other choice. It's not like he can trot EdE out there to play because Krivsky sent him to Louisville. I felt more comfortable with Arroyo on the mound than with Stanton or Coffey out there since Weathers threw 3 innings last night. Granted Arroyo threw too many pitches but the Reds will never win until Krivsky puts quality pitchers in bullpen and a competent offense up to bat. I think Narron has made some dumb moves in the past but I really felt he gave the Reds best chance to win tonight with the pitiful roster that Krivsky has put together.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

May 16th, 2007 ...

I wsn't aware that his pitch count had gone that high. that is a concern. This manager (and to a larger extent the GM) just seem to make wrong decision after wrong decision. Is this club worse than last year? No doubt. If that's the case, and it is, it's time for a change from the very top to the very bottom.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

I know Arroyo said he was still fresh but it is indefensible to leave one of the horses in to throw 129 pitches.

Fire them all and start over Bob.
    Go Gators!

I don't think it's Narron backing away from Krivsky's guys. I don't get the vibe that Jerry even thinks on those levels (ie. poltical manuvering). Not to mention I believe Jerry is the driving force behind getting some of those guys in the first place. It's much simpler IMO.

He knows Stanton is toast. Weathers you have to save to "close" in extra innings. Cormier is gone.

All of his trusty vets are not avilable. And in a 2-2 game in late innings, I'd wager that Jerry is far more confident in his "crafty vets" than he is his "kids". Deep down inside, I think Jerry's default setting is vet = trust worthy, kid = untrust worthy. Therefore, Arroyo is sent into the breach one last time.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 05-17-2007 at 07:51 AM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Turn Off Ads?