Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something Fishy in South Florida

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Something Fishy in South Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee
    Or how about not approving owners like Huizenga or Loria? The Marlins could well have had better attendance and maybe a new stadium if they had leadership at the top who worked with their community rather than hold the team for ransom.
    Well, if not for Huizenga, it probably would have been Tampa getting the team in 1993 instead of Miami. Whether that would have been better or worse for baseball is an open question.

And maybe my sense of history is incomplete, but when it was time to award the expansion franchises, I don't think anyone could have seen it coming as it did. Not that it's unusual for an owner to try his hand at having the public pay for a new ballpark, but an expansion team? Right away? When the team owner already owns the yard, too? And not just that, but throwing a temper tantrum and dismantling a good team (and a profitable one for Huizenga, looking at all baseball revenue, not just what ended up on the Marlins' books).
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    San Antonio says hello
    We sure do!

A version of this story was in the morning paper here. The writer concluded that this lack of fan interest in South FL shows that the "fish" has not wandered too far from San Antonio's "hook."

Quote Originally Posted by savafan
    Wow, I just saw that the Marlins are only six games out of the Wild Card lead. How does this team do it?
    They play in the NL
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    I thought they did OK at first -- 3 million fans for the initial year. Then the next year, the strike killed all that momentum. They were building it back up, but Huizenga trashed any possibility of building on the 1997 Series win. That was the crippler.

It also doesn't help that the ballpark has no aesthetic value and is well removed from the happening spots in South Florida.
    The fans in Florida are smart. Why cheer for a team that you know is going to be torn apart? The Marlins won the Championship and what did the owners do? Did they say thank you? Did they try to build on it? No. They blew it completely up for no good reason. They have different owners now and they want to pay as little as they possibly can. Dontrelle Willis will be gone by the end of the season. They do nothing to bring in the fans but crap on them. They make millions and then they plead poverty and say " Build me a stadium. Florida fans are right not to go to the games.

They have blown it up twice

Neither Florida team has done well.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed
    Neither Florida team has done well.
    Two World Series championships in the last ten years (granted, without ever having won a division title) isn't too bad.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

But their support is terrible, even in the championship years they ranked in the middle and 2nd to last in attendance.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper
    I think they expected the team would have a new park by now (w/roof).
    I'm surprised they didn't get a promise like that signed in blood BEFORE they made the decision.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I went to a Marlins game in 2002. The stadium was in a terrible part of town. I would be similar to GABP being in the middle of Over the Rine and no city around it. The Stadium was terrible. No real attractiveness to it. We also had to park in the grass. There was nothing to do after the game. I had a really bad time. Most of the people there did not speak english. That is a place I will not go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed
    Well, if not for Huizenga, it probably would have been Tampa getting the team in 1993 instead of Miami. Whether that would have been better or worse for baseball is an open question.

And maybe my sense of history is incomplete, but when it was time to award the expansion franchises, I don't think anyone could have seen it coming as it did. Not that it's unusual for an owner to try his hand at having the public pay for a new ballpark, but an expansion team? Right away? When the team owner already owns the yard, too? And not just that, but throwing a temper tantrum and dismantling a good team (and a profitable one for Huizenga, looking at all baseball revenue, not just what ended up on the Marlins' books).
    I personally don't know if other bids were there for the Marlins when the expansion franchise was awarded. I just remember that it seemed like the NL was in a mad dash to get a team in FL, saw the Blockbuster money, and couldn't turn it down. I believe at that time the NL and AL were still separate entities and FL was one big untapped market. When the NL decided to expand, there seemed to be a concern (at least from what I read in the papers) that the AL was going to move a team to FL, with the White Sox and Indians being prime candidates and the location being St. Pete. Fearing that the AL would have FL all to itself, the NL jumped at the chance to put a team in Miami. In the meantime, the White Sox had already built New Comiskey and the Indians had gotten Cuyahoga Co. to build them the Jake, leaving St. Pete out in the cold.

I do have to say though, Huizenga was pretty crass even by Baseball Owner standards to get an expansion franchise, buy the stadium in which you play (and its co-tenant), buy a World Series through free agency, then demand that the city/county/state build you a new ballpark, even though the stadium you just bought is pretty new itself. The craziest thing of all. There is plenty of private money in South Florida to finance a ballpark. First Huizenga and now Loria wants a free ride, and it appears he's willing to try to milk it out of which ever city will give it to him.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Old Red Guard Reject

I went to a game there a couples years ago (Adam Dunn's MLB debut) and the stadium is in the boondocks if I remember. We walked forever to get from the parking lot to the park. We sat almost all by ourselves in the upper deck. The people there were really excited about their team though and seemed to be knowledgeable about baseball in general. A real baseball stadium near downtown would be nice to see.

And yet I'm still sort of glad we have RCast and Kriv in charge rather than DJ Jazzy Loria...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Newman4
    I went to a game there a couples years ago (Adam Dunn's MLB debut)
    That was 5 years ago Newman!!!

Seems like yesterday doesn't it?
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

What makes me sad to be a Reds fan is unless things change around here the Marlins and their 14 million dollar payroll are going to have a better record than the Reds at the end of the year. I would love to see the Reds blow things up and have the ability to rebuild like the Marlins have now done twice. As for the crowds, the Marlins will never draw in South Florida as long as they are playing in that park.

Turn Off Ads?