Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: untradeable - anyone?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Re: untradeable - anyone?

No prospects more than a year away from helping the big club should ever be untouchable. Ever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt
    The Twins had to hold onto their top prospects because they knew they werent getting any free agents to come and play in Minnesota. Sounds kind of like Cincinnati.
    Cincinnati has a young core, thus the need for free agents to come and play in Cincinnati is reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    The Cardinals are not the Yankees either.

The goal is to have a good major league team. The quality of the minor league system isn't necessarily important to that goal if it is functioning to provide the pieces the major league team needs to be effective. I didn't say that it was. I don't see any of the prospects the Reds currently have as anything approaching untouchable.

I'm not sure the the lack of depth in the Reds system is a valid reason for not trading them either. In fact, given the right deal, more (quality) system depth might be acquired through trading them, whether it's through comp picks, prospect throw ins from the other team, or additional follow on deals down the road.

What it is going to take though is imagination and vision. What scares me about where the Reds are is that the Twins have tended to hold on to prospects all cost. I think this might have caused them to miss their window of opportunity.
    Their payroll has been alot higher then the Reds, They have money to Spend They need a bat they go out and get a Big Mac, a Rolen, an Edmonds. They need pitching they go out and get it. Not only do they get it they sign it to a long term contract. When was the last time the Reds could do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Redmachine2003
    Not only do they get it they sign it to a long term contract. When was the last time the Reds could do that?
    The 1999 offseason?

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    no prospect is untradeable.
    The Mets might disagree with you on that one. They would love to have Kazmir back right about now.

Which is fine AvesIce51, except you mention Dontrelle Willis, and he isnt a #1. Or even close. He is a #3 at best.

I think alot of pitching poor teams would disagree with that statement. If you look around MLB Willis would be a number one for most ballclubs.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

What a #1 is and someone who starts #1 for a team are two entirely different things. There may only be 12-15 true #1 starters in all of baseball, and there may be a few teams with more than 1 of them. The Reds and Marlins dont have any.

What a #1 is and someone who starts #1 for a team are two entirely different things. There may only be 12-15 true #1 starters in all of baseball, and there may be a few teams with more than 1 of them. The Reds and Marlins dont have any.
    You can't argue with Arroyo right now can you? Also, checking out Willis' numbers lately, he is getting his form back. Six of his last seven games he has given up 2 ER or less, and gone 8+ innings 4 of those 7 games. He doesn't strike out as many now, but his stuff is coming around.
    If Willis is a number 3 at best, then give me A LOT of number 3 pitchers.

How could you consider him a #4 pitcher??? Your expectations are quite high.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I cant argue for Arroyo right now, but outside of this year, hes not close. This year, Willis is a #3 at best. He has an ERA over 4 and doesnt strike guys out and doesnt even boast a 2-1 strikeouts/walk ratio.

Cueto.

Turn Off Ads?