Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Prospect Justin Reed (cf)

Prospect Justin Reed (cf)

Justin made his debut with the Gulf coast Reds and batted lead off in his teams first game of the season. His stat line was as follows

Justin Reed: Individual Stats (Batting)
    Team From To G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    GCL Reds 06/20 06/20 1 4 1 1 0 1 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 .250 .750 .250
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Prospect Justin Reed (cf)

Justin Reed: Individual Stats (Batting)
    Team From To G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI TB BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
    GCL Reds 06/20 06/24 4 17 4 2 0 1 0 0 4 1 2 1 0 .167 .235 .118

These are Jason's latest numbers, he is scuffling a bit but he is working and adjusting to what pro ball is all about . ps. He wears number 26
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

This is just some info on Justin for those that are unaware about this highschool kid.
    Justin Reed OF L/R 18 5-11/179 Hillcrest Christian HS (Jackson, MS)

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pb.../1063/sports02

article from Clarion ledger upon news of being drated by the Reds.

Also a good profile per scout.com. http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=10&p=8&c=1&nid=1967091
    Last edited by Topcat; 06-26-2006 at 02:41 AM.

Justin Reed (CF, Jackson, MS) - Mississippi's Gatorade Player of the Year had an outstanding season this past year. It all started when he made the final cut for the Junior Olympic team and it ended when he was named the State's Player of the Year.

The Hillcrest Christian product and Ole Miss signee batted .455 with 7 doubles, 5 triples, 7 home runs, 35 RBIs, 57 runs and 40 stolen bases for the Academy AAA Division I champion Cougars (28-9).

I hope this is a good introduction on this Future Red hopeful and I shall continue to update related progress on Justin .

Latest news on Justin Reed.

Daniel Rios and Matthew Clark drove in seventh-inning runs to help the Pirates come from behind for a 3-1 Gulf Coast League victory over the Red Sox at Pirate City on Tuesday.

Clark finished 3-for-3.

Luis Lopez got the win, working 32/3 innings of relief, allowing one run on three hits. Starter Jose Capellan had worked six shutout innings.

In Fort Myers, Thomas Cowgill led off the bottom of the 10th inning with a home run to lift the Twins over the Reds, 3-2.

[COLOR="Black"]The Reds took a 2-0 lead in the fifth on Justin Reed's two-run single, but the Twins tied it in the sixth on three hits and an error.[/COLOR]

Reds starter Luis Montano allowed just two hits over five innings, walking two and striking out four.

Last modified: June 28. 2006 12:00AM

The Latest update on Justin Reeds progress

The pertinent stats on Justins Progress are

OBP: .348
    slg: .400
    avg: .250
    rbi: 9
    9 walks in 60 ab's
    3 for 4 in stolen bases
    9 runs scored in 60 ab's
    748 ops
    and 1 error in 16 games in the Outfield

Justin Reed seems to be adjusting nicely to life as a professional baseball player. For one thing, he no longer needs an alarm clock.

The former Hillcrest Christian star, a fourth-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Reds last month, hops up around the break of dawn each morning to start his day with the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Reds in Sarasota, Fla.

Reed said his day begins with a team breakfast about 7 a.m. followed by a light workout from 8:30 to 10 and a game at noon.

"After the first week or so, my body got used to waking up early," Reed said. "I look forward to playing and getting better every day."

Through 21 games, the 18-year-old Reed was hitting .250 with four triples and 12 RBIs. He also had stolen four bases in six attempts.

"I'm hitting the ball good. I can't complain about anything," he said. "The atmosphere here is fun. There are a lot of young guys like me in the league, but there's some older Latin guys, too.

"There's some Venezuelans and Dominicans who throw really hard, and they're not always throwing strikes. As a batter, it's more challenging. I see 90-plus (mph pitches) everyday, from both sides."

Reed, who's playing center field, started the season batting leadoff but was moved to second and then to the No. 3 spot.

"They wanted to give me a chance to drive in runs, and I've been doing that," he said.

Reed said he's been told the organization is pleased with how he's adapted so far. He said he's picking up valuable tips from manager Luis Aguayo and coach Aaron Holbert, both ex-big leaguers.

His immediate goals are to keep polishing his hitting and outfield skills and try to make a full-season Class A team next spring.

I think this guy sounds promising. It will be fun to see how he develops.

FORT MYERS -- The Reds edged the Red Sox, 2-1, in a Gulf Coast League Friday at the Red Sox Complex in Fort Myers.

Reliever Derick Lutz allowed three hits, one run and struck out one over three innings to get the win. Adam Pointer got the save pitching two innings of hitless relief.

The Reds led all the way, scoring on RBI singles in the first and fourth innings.

Catcher Jake Long's single in the first drove in shortstop Angel Cabrerra, who had reached on a walk and moved to second on a single by Rafael Sanchez.

First baseman Jason Winkler's single in the fourth drove in left fielder Justin Reed, who reached on a fielder's choice and then stole second.

For the Reds, center fielder Denis Pipps went 2-for-3 with pair of singles.

For the Red Sox, second baseman Pedro Vasquez went 2-for-4 with a pair of singles.

Shortstop Jose L. De Los Santos went 3-for-5 with an RBI, a stolen base and two runs scored to lead the Pirates over the Twins 7-4 at the Lee County Sports Complex.

Yoffri Martinez threw two scoreless innings in relief to pick up the win. Sergio Silva earned the save.

Updating Justin Reeds season so far A .185 avg, 1 hr and 14 rbi's ,.308 slg, .580 ops, 1 error in the outfield, 6 for 9 in sb's, over offensivly the kids had it rough in his debut season over 36 so far this season.

I would like to begin this post with a thought on Justin. I truly think this kid has had a tough season and his adjustment to pro ball has been eye opening and next season will begin showing the tell tale signs on what kinda of player he will be.

Justins played in 44 games so far scored 17 runs and has 29 hits, 16 rbi's and 19 walks..271 .286 are his obp and slg percentange. he also has a .180 batting avg. These totals are dissapointing without a doubt but realize he is coming straight out of High school and he was a huge star in football and baseball.

His fielding was of the Gary Petis spectacular so i chock this season up to a educational eye opening experience and consider Justin a prospect worth following.

Any recent updates on Justin Reed or how he is progressing? The rosters still list him with GCL Reds, but I didn't know if that was current or left from last year.

Chris

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

I think he's got another year in rookie ball coming up- although it depends on who's drafted whether or not he'll get the GCL again or the Pioneer League (Billings). Hope for the latter, because if he succeeds there at age 19 against players averaging 1-3 years older he'll be instantly on the prospect radar. It's also a much more fun place to play and hit.

Turn Off Ads?