Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ut-oh - Ozzie Guillen calls out former Cincinnati Enquirer writer Jay Marriotti.

Ut-oh - Ozzie Guillen calls out former Cincinnati Enquirer writer Jay Marriotti.

You wonder if Ozzie's starting to lose it a bit........

Guillen calls columnist Mariotti homosexual slur
    ESPN.com news services

On Tuesday to reporters, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen referred to Chicago Sun-Times columnist and Around the Horn contributor Jay Mariotti as a derogatory name for a homosexual.

Angry with a recent column by Mariotti critical of Guillen's handling of recently demoted relief pitcher Sean Tracey and upset with Mariotti with columns of the past, Guillen said to reporters when referring to Mariotti before Tuesday's game with the Cardinals, "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] fag."

Mariotti was covering the NBA Finals Tuesday night and was not present to hear what Guillen said.

Columnist Greg Couch of the Sun-Times wrote a column Wednesday in response, calling for commissioner Bud Selig to suspend Guillen for his use of a "hurtful homophobic" term.

Before writing the column, Couch asked Guillen for an explanation. Guillen defended his use of the term "fag" by saying this about homosexuals and the use of the word in question: "I don't have anything against those people. In my country, you call someone something like that and it is not the same as it is in this country.''

Guillen said that in his native Venezuela, that word is not a reference to a person's sexuality, but to his courage. He said he was saying that Mariotti is "not man enough to meet me and talk about [things before writing].''

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.

"I called that of this man [Mariotti],'' he told Couch. "I'm not trying to hurt anybody [else]."

Scott Reifert, the White Sox's vice president of communications, offered to apologize on behalf of the organization when approached by Couch.

"To anybody who was insulted or hurt by that comment ... as an organization, we'll certainly apologize," Reifert told Couch.
    Ozzie and PC...not a very good match..that, or he was asking for a British slang term for a cigarette.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ut-oh - Ozzie Guillen calls out former Cincinnati Enquirer writer Jay Marriotti.

The Sox announcers were using him as a punching bag throughout the broadcast as well.

Re: Ut-oh - Ozzie Guillen calls out former Cincinnati Enquirer writer Jay Marriotti.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou
    The Sox announcers were using him as a punching bag throughout the broadcast as well.

who, Marriotti or Guillen??

Hawk doesn't like Marriotti at all.

I can't stand Ozzie Gullien. he's an absolute <expletive>
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    who, Marriotti or Guillen??

Hawk doesn't like Marriotti at all.
    Not the OZ.. they worship his guile and get r done behavior.

Guillen also told Couch that he has gay friends, attends WNBA games, went to a Madonna concert and plans to go to the Gay Games in Chicago.
    Good to see that he read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro
    I can't stand Ozzie Gullien. he's an absolute <expletive>
    Ditto.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds
    Good to see that he read the manual.
    If so then he's been to the Manhole Club in Boys Town too.

I'm sure he meant the British usage, or "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] cigarette."

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I'm sure he meant the British usage, or "What a piece of [expletive] he is, [expletive] cigarette."

Whole new meaning of getting "Lit Up".....

I'm 50/50 on Ozzie - can't stand him for doing things like this, however, he tells it like it is and knows how to get the best out of his players and I like that part of him.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I read this and checked to see if this was an Onion article.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I'm 50/50 on Ozzie - can't stand him for doing things like this, however, he tells it like it is and knows how to get the best out of his players and I like that part of him.
    I agree. Comments like this are infuriating, and undermine his reputation as a manager. He IS a good manager, but it's getting buried in soundbites. But I really respect his stuff as a manager. He knows how to pull a team together, help them communicate, get the best out of his players. I also love the way he deals with his pitchers, and our bullpen could perform a lot better in my opinion if we took a few hints from him (ie. maybe they could be below average instead of horrendous).

But the man is smart. Of all the columnists picking on him (rightfully so) at this point, he responds directly to Mariotti. There is not a more loathed man (rightfully so) in Chicago than Jay Mariotti. So to his fans, Ozzie once again comes off as the guy spouting his "true feelings" against a complete tool, and what he says can almost be ignored or even celebrated by those who already love him. Those who don't already don't, it makes no difference to him or to them.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I guess Ozzie was mad he hadn't been in a headline story for a few days

Just more of him screaming and stomping to get some attention
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong
    I read this and checked to see if this was an Onion article.

GL
    Nope, and 6+ pages at Soxtalk.com is running about 75% Ozzie because of the Mariotti feud with Sox Management.

Sorry Ozzie, but here in the ole US of A when we call someone that name, we too are referring to their courage, so your argument is completely invalid.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

Turn Off Ads?