Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mays is pitching pretty good!

Re: Joe Mays is pitching pretty good!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I don't like the idea of Claussen in the pen, but he can't be much worse than what's already there.
    His career ERA is worse than most of the bullpen. So, yes he can.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook
    As much as I loved the fact that he pitched 6 innings last night giving up only 2 runs, in my mind, I don't see this lasting. Here's why: he allowed 8 hits and 2 BB's over 6 innings despite a perfect 6th. So his WHIP for the first 5 innings was 2.0...that's awful. I will give him credit for pitching great to get out of some jams, but there's no way you can consistently pitch well with a WHIP approaching 2.0. At multiple times last night, he was one pitch away from giving up alot more runs. He seemed to be walking a tight rope out there. I don't think his 'stuff' is very good and I doubt it'll improve much. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I think the real Joe Mays will show up soon and we'll be anticipating Claussen's return from his mind-clearing vacation(I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll have a new starter via a trade before then).
    I agree with pretty much everything you say, but the reason I why I am optimistic is because he was facing one of the best lineups in baseball on their field. You are correct though, he will not be successful over the longhaul if his WHIP remains that high.

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport
    welcome, a great inaugural post, this is a great board
    I don't know; the presence of anaphora and asyndeton was enervating.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

do you think hammonds performance is worthy of objurgation or perhaps even billingsgate?

do you think hammonds performance is worthy of objurgation or perhaps even billingsgate?
    Certainly raillery. Perhaps his act was a scrofulous burlesque of efficaciousness.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Rick White deserves an entire broadside dedicated to his badinage.

actually, his attempt at an "offspeed" pitch is dependent upon his having speed in the first place. Actually if he were the subject of a pasquinade or feuilliton, then I would have some interest in his performance

by the way, who is the pulchritudinous visage appearing on your post logo?

La belle dame sans merci is Sarah Silverman.

are you cognizant of the daunting statistic, I am 9,634 posts behind your eminence

are you cognizant of the daunting statistic, I am 9,634 posts behind your eminence
    This is not true. Several of your unattributed philippics litter the archives of this august site.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 06-22-2006 at 03:13 PM.

What's with all these big words in here?
    Go Gators!

Was that true panegyric on your part, or insidious fulsome insincere, bathos?

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13
    I believe I had read that while in the minors mays worked alot with ted powers and they worked on his mechanics and believed they fixed alot of things. I think he said his fastball wasnt sinking before and he had gotten it back to sinking like it had in the years he had been successful. So hopefully he has turned it around and take over that 5th spot in the rotation, put claussen in the pen and in my opinion you strengthen the rotation and the pen at the same time. Assuming that mays has turned it around.
    you are correct there, because I read this as well, and I believe that Hume had talked to Powers about this such thing so they could continue working on this or something to that effect.

I believe Mays could be a nice stopgap until a trade or another move is made...I think also reuniting him with Milton or maybe vice versa is also another great move.

What in heck happened in this thread?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Turn Off Ads?