Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Joe Mays is pitching pretty good!

Re: Joe Mays is pitching pretty good!

Wow. Our bullpen really does suck.

Krivsky...it's time to make a move...NOW.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by nick311reds
    Kearns should of caught that
    Kearns has caught pretty much anything hit in his direction all season so far... I forgive him.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Kearns has trouble catching balls running towards the gap/wall.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I think Mays pitched fine tonight - I'll take not pretty and a quality start - if we can just get that BP not blowing it for the starters.

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nick311reds
    Whats everyone's thought's of his performance through 4 innings. The bottom of the 4th spoke volumes about what this guy could possibly do and as of right now he's a massive improvement over Brandon Clausen. Once again, Krivsky is looking like a genius One man's trash is another's treasure..
    Three words: smoke and mirrors.
    "Iíll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. Thatís just how I do things.Ē -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye

It's hard to use smoke and mirrors against a lineup that consists of Delgado, Beltran, and Wright. He looked much better than expected tonight and I thought he mixed his pitches well keeping the Mets hitters off balance. Will he win 17 games again, no but at this point he is a better option than what Claussen has been giving us.

mays did well

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye
    Who knows... a change of scenery may be all he needed. That, and a little more time since his surgery.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Mays pitched well tonight, don't think this is going to become a trend. Once Claussen is back he should retake the spot in the rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by nineworldseries
    Rut Roh. He's getting shelled in the 5th.
    Except that Kearns missed a ball that he should have caught, and the Reds should've turned a double play before Wright's double. Our defense gave the Mets five outs in the fifth.

I will say this for Mays. He really buckled down when there were jams and avoided the "big inning". He got ahead of hitters and did all of the things that Claussen hasn't been doing lately.

I'm not saying that I have a lot of faith in this guy, because his recent history is awful. But at least for one night he did a decent job.

he pitched well, he escaped trouble adroitly

I believe I had read that while in the minors mays worked alot with ted powers and they worked on his mechanics and believed they fixed alot of things. I think he said his fastball wasnt sinking before and he had gotten it back to sinking like it had in the years he had been successful. So hopefully he has turned it around and take over that 5th spot in the rotation, put claussen in the pen and in my opinion you strengthen the rotation and the pen at the same time. Assuming that mays has turned it around.

welcome, a great inaugural post, this is a great board

I'm not ready to say that Mays is the answer at the 5th starter position, but I really liked how he pitched last night. That is one of the best all-around balanced lineups in baseball that the Mets put out and it was on their field, which is a hostile place to play. He showed a lot of grit and heart, which impressed me more than anything he threw. Hopefully he gives us that consistant effort everytime.

I don't like the idea of Claussen in the pen, but he can't be much worse than what's already there.

As much as I loved the fact that he pitched 6 innings last night giving up only 2 runs, in my mind, I don't see this lasting. Here's why: he allowed 8 hits and 2 BB's over 6 innings despite a perfect 6th. So his WHIP for the first 5 innings was 2.0...that's awful. I will give him credit for pitching great to get out of some jams, but there's no way you can consistently pitch well with a WHIP approaching 2.0. At multiple times last night, he was one pitch away from giving up alot more runs. He seemed to be walking a tight rope out there. I don't think his 'stuff' is very good and I doubt it'll improve much. Hopefully, I'm wrong, but I think the real Joe Mays will show up soon and we'll be anticipating Claussen's return from his mind-clearing vacation(I'm still crossing my fingers that we'll have a new starter via a trade before then).
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

Turn Off Ads?