Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xbox360 or PS3

Re: Xbox360 or PS3

Well I love my PS2, I've only had to buy one since they came out, and i got mine as soon as it came out, so mine has been reliable, and with hearing of all the stories about the 360's hard drives crashing, I am definatly going to buy the PS3, even though XBOX 360 has a kickass game coming out for it called Gears Of War, which definatly blew me away. But in the end I believe that the PS3 will be better in the long run, and you guys can say this view is biased because I own a PS2.......and you wouldn't be wrong....
    Let's make some noise!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules
    and with hearing of all the stories about the 360's hard drives crashing
    Its funny when I hear this b/c my friend and I each have an xbox 360 and live together in the same household and have never experienced any crashing or anything like that. I have had sometimes where it would freeze up but what game system hasn't? But the hard drive doesn't crash or at least I have never seen it happen.
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Its funny when I hear this b/c my friend and I each have an xbox 360 and live together in the same household and have never experienced any crashing or anything like that. I have had sometimes where it would freeze up but what game system hasn't? But the hard drive doesn't crash or at least I have never seen it happen.

Most of the overheating/crashing problems were because some idiots didn't read the manual and put their 360 in a poorly ventilated space. For Pete's sake, the thing has three 3.2 GHz IBM Power PC processors--it's gonna run hot! It's hard to believe someone would spend $400 and then not protect their investment.

BTW, the actual number of consoles serviced for overheating? 100. If you go around the internet and look at the "tons of complaints" it's the same 5 or 6 people complaining over and over at every website you see. Believe me, I did my homework before buying this thing. That's pretty impressive for a new product. And, no I'm not a Microsoft fan boy--in fact I'm a Mac user. It's just that the 360 is a brilliant piece of equipment.

University of Cincinnati

Yeah exactly, probably putting it on carpet rather than something hard like a TV stand or on top of the TV.......
    THE University of Cincinnati

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Bear in mind that if Blue-Ray wins out, Blue-Ray DVD players will start at nearly the cost of a PS3 in and of themselves...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I'll wait to see who wins, be it Blu-Ray or HD-DVD...by that time the PS3 may even drop a bit in price.

Wii.

Out of those two, XBOX 360 - it's not 600 bucks.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

Quote Originally Posted by redsrule2500
    Wii.

Out of those two, XBOX 360 - it's not 600 bucks.

I love my 360, but already plan to have a Wii on launch day. I've never owned a Nintendo system that I didn't end up using as my number one console before all was said and done. Nintendo makes hands down the best first party games in the industry.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herd Fan
    I love my 360, but already plan to have a Wii on launch day. I've never owned a Nintendo system that I didn't end up using as my number one console before all was said and done. Nintendo makes hands down the best first party games in the industry.
    Yup, it looks like Nintendo is getting ready to blow the doors off the other two with the Wii. Goofy name, but Nintendo has never been embarrassed about being childish.

As far as Blu-ray vs. HD DVD; It's the old Betamax vs. VHS wars all over again...Sony never learns. Blu-ray player=$1000.00, HD DVD player=$500.00, I've yet to see a price for a recordable HD DVD disc, but the Blu-ray blanks run about $50 - $60 per disk. But the pre-recorded disks for each are about the same $35.00 on sale now for anywhere from $19.99 to $24.99. Blu-ray will go the way of the Betamax and the THX sound systems.

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

A Little to the Left Redsfaithful's Avatar

I'm guessing you'll be able to buy a Wii and an Xbox360 for about the price of a ps3.

I'm definitely going to get the new Nintendo, and I might get a 360 eventually, but there's no way I'm buying a ps3.
    We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
    --Oscar Wilde

Let's not also forget that beyond the $599 price tag of the PS3, it also lost the exclusivity of Grand Theft Auto, as GTA4 will simultaniously release on both systems.

The other exclusive 3rd party, Square Enix, well, it does hurt Microsoft, but even Square has been releasing more and more titles for the other players, so who knows how long their exclusivity will last.

But the price tag is the biggest problem Sony is going to deal with. Imagine this upcoming Christmas, a parent who cares nothing about games is going to pick up a system for their kid for christmas. They have 3 options, a sub-$250 Nintendo Wii, a $300 or $400 xbox 360, or a $600 Sony. It's an easy choice for that parent.

But for us hardcore gamers, the winner of this round is going to win it with content. Sony's one highest-selling franchises, Grand Theft Auto, is no longer exclusive, and Square won't stick around if the PS3's aren't selling.

This could get exciting. Most experts are predicting an even 40%Microsoft/40%Sony marketshare, with Nintendo picking up the other 20%.
    "It is much easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

No Metal Gear on Xbox = No sale

For me at least
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful
    I'm guessing you'll be able to buy a Wii and an Xbox360 for about the price of a ps3.

I'm definitely going to get the new Nintendo, and I might get a 360 eventually, but there's no way I'm buying a ps3.
    Anyone out there...whats the deal with the Wii you are all talking about...I've always viewed Gamecube as a kids game system as compared to Xbox and PS...is Wii supposed to be more "grown up", if you know what I'm saying...thanks for all the discussion on this thread by the way!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels
    Anyone out there...whats the deal with the Wii you are all talking about...I've always viewed Gamecube as a kids game system as compared to Xbox and PS...is Wii supposed to be more "grown up", if you know what I'm saying...thanks for all the discussion on this thread by the way!!!
    Nintendo's plan is to pull in non-traditional gamers while also grabbing the "hardcore" gamer. As far as being more grown up, it's hard to tell--but I always have felt that to be an unfair knock on the Gamecube anyway. I do know that one of the most heavily hyped Wii titles at E3 was a FPS.

saboforthird

I read over on operationsports that SONY's _ONLY_ motive in putting out the PS3 is to sell the Blue Ray technology, which it hopes will be the de facto technology for television. Not sure if that is true, but it wouldn't surprise me. Games are very difficult to conceptualize, develop, make, market and sale.....and I believe innovation in the video game market is at an all-time low. SONY might be thinking of getting out of the video game market, down the road.

Turn Off Ads?