Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ballparks you've been to... and experiences

Re: Ballparks you've been to... and experiences

I don't get to too many parks from here in Mississippi. I have been to

Riverfront back in the 80's. (Saw the Reds win a couple of games there.)
    Turner field in maybe 2002. It was Adam Dunn's first game. Another Reds win.
    Wrigley field when Sosa was playing for the Cubs in maybe 1999 or 2000. A friend and I were in the area on business. The most remarkable thing about that visit was that one guy and about 7 gorgeous women came and sat about 2 rows in front of us. The women were so pretty the only way I could reconcile it in my mind is that he was the photographer. Excellent memory.

We have a great college baseball park here on campus at Miss. State Univ. Any of you who are in the area, look me up and I'll show you around.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Major League Parks I've been to:

Crosley Field, Riverfront/Cinergy, GABP
    Wrigley Field - great access via the EL
    Busch Stadium - the fans there put us to shame in recent years and because it wasn't cut off from the city, great in and out access
    Camden Yard - I wrote about this earlier this season
    Coors Field - Didn't see a game there, but took a tour in 1999

The ones I've seen, but never got to a game at:

Tigers Stadium, U.S. Cellular (ugh, hate that name), Three Rivers Stadium, Dodgers Stadium, Candlestick Park, RFK Stadium (DC), Kauffman Stadium (KC).

Minor league parks: Louisville (both parks), Lexington, Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis (new park), Rockford (then a Royals team - just after Johnny Damon had moved up), Chillicothe (Frontier League), Scottsdale Stadium (Arizona Fall League). We've passed the minor league park in Washington, PA which looks like a nice park. We also saw The Brickyard at Oklahoma City with a nice statue of Mickey Mantle, as I recall.

Doubleday Field in Cooperstown, NY

Professional Softball Park - Ross Park, St. Bernard, Ohio - Cincinnati Suds (the APSPL franchise).
    Last edited by redsmetz; 06-22-2006 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz
    Professional Softball Park - Ross Park, St. Bernard, Ohio - Cincinnati Suds (the APSPL franchise).
    Oh the memories of spending the weekends watching the Suds as a kid growing up in St. Bernard. Black Ronnie, Hal Ward, Jim Tuttle, and the rest of the gang. If you remember the games being broadcast, I was the kid sitting underneath the announcers booth behind home plate.

I play there every Tuesday night and have for the last 18 years. Probably still one of the best fields in the city.

[QUOTE=Gainesville Red]SBC or ATT or PAC Bell or whatever they're calling it now in San Fran is freakin awesome.

I agree, I was there a few years back (at the time) it was in its second year of existence so the newness was still very much there. Great atmosphere.

I have also been to OLd Busch Stadium and Atlanta Fulton CO. Stadium. Old BUsch was nice and you have to give it to St. LOuis fans, very knowledgeable, enjoyed it.

Fulton CO. --- this was before the Braves were any good so there was only about 10,000 fans there.

Obviously been to both Riverfront/Cinergy and GAPB, always great to come and watch the Reds play.

Minor LEague Parks --- Cooper Stadium in Columbus. Had a good time, good experience except for the Cowbells. VA Memorial Stadium in Chillicothe for a Frontier League Game and Stump BEnnett Park in Parkersburg, WV (former Ohio Valley Redcoats) --- small park, very-hitter friendly although not the night I was there.
    Last edited by markymark69; 06-22-2006 at 09:33 AM.

Parks visited besides the Cincinnati parks:

Wrigley - loved the bleachers, drank too much Old Style there in my younger days. Probably seen 7-8 games there. Love the charm and the area around the park.

Camden - been there 4-5 times, love that you can buy food from different vendors surrounding the ballpark and bring it in. Has great sightlines from the lower level.

Turner - for a being a big stadium has an intimate feel.

Ballpark at Arlington - way too big with lots of wasted space, my least favorite of the new parks

Safeco - great stadium, was there when it started to rain and had the roof close during the game.

Tiger Stadium - probably my favorite, it was amazing how close you could get to the field, you could feel the ghosts that got to play there. Looked like a ship from the outside

Jacobs Field - liked it a lot unless you're in the upper deck then it seems like the players are ants

Yankee Stadium - in the bleachers for Red Sox game 9/9/01. Surreal considering what happened two days later. Love the atmosphere. Wasn't as bad as it probably would be now for Red Sox game. Almost caught a batting glove thrown by Joe Oliver. Didn't like you couldn't go anywhere else in the stadium from the bleachers.
    Last edited by timmario66; 06-22-2006 at 11:15 AM.

University of Cincinnati

1) Busch Stadium (new) - Only negative i saw was the 1st base line outside the stadium where players park is kind of boring not to mention highway next to it. The arch is an awesome view from inside along with the St. Louis skyline

2) Comerica Park - Pretty nice, has a carnival inside of it basically

3) Cinergy - cookie cutter, but actually pretty nice after they tore down the outfield

4) Great American - Of all the new parks this one ranks last......

5) Camden Yards - Baltimore's Harbor is unreal, and adding a beauty like this is great

6) Wrigley Field - Got to love the old atmosphere

7) Yankee Stadium - That yankee mystique, its amazing in NY

8) Fenway Park - Much like Wrigley, Got to love the old atmosphere

9) Tropicana Field - probably the worst among all I've been to

10) PNC Park - Probably the best out of what I've been to, not to mention griffey threw a ball to me and my friends twice

11) Citizens Bank Park - Really nice here as well, cool layout in philly where all 4 stadiums are in a square basically

12) Safeco Field - Also one of my favorites, really well done.

13) Miller Park - Retractable roof and the slide are pretty neat, but the brewers are a pretty boring team to watch, thankfully they were playing the reds

14) Jacob's Field - My first park outside of Cincinnati I visted, I loved it
    THE University of Cincinnati

I'll rank the parks I've been to, including the surrounding environment, which lends a lot to a day at the ballpark:

1. Coors Field, Denver - Simply the best. Since living out here I've already gone to about 7 or 8 games this year (including a dreadful 3-0 Reds loss). The park's architecture is so visually appealing; the mountain-esque landscaping in the bullpens and beyond the centerfield wall is beautiful; watching a game from the Rockpile is fun; and the pubs and restauarants surrounding the park in LoDo are inviting before and after the game. (This latest point is where I think Cincinnati really drops the ball.)

2. PNC Park, Pittsburgh - Hate the city, despise the Steelers, but this baseball park sure is fun to watch the visiting team win in. Not much to do around the park or in downtown Pittsburgh, but architecturally it's beautiful.

3. Wrigley Field, Chicago - Great atmosphere, even on non-game days. The Cubs and their fans can be oh-so-annoying on the road but for some reason they seem more tolerable here. The views from the upper concourse toward the lake are striking on a clear day. The train rumbling past adds to the flavor. Love the scoreboard and the buildings across the street. Interestingly enough, the only time for me at this park was an interleague game vs. the Indians in the late '90s when Cleveland was on fire and the Cubs were mediocre. The place was overrun by Tribe fans with Chief Wahoo flags everywhere, including draped from several buildings across Waveland. And a Cubs player even had one of his own HR balls thrown back on the field. It was an interesting first game at Wrigley, to say the least.

4. Yankee Stadium, N.Y. - I always seem to get the Indians on the road and that was the case here when I saw Bartolo Colon pitch a perfect game vs. the Bombers into the 7th. Crowd wasn't too vicious. Sat in the bleachers in left center. Took the subway. Great N.Y.experience. And any park that Babe Ruth has batted in will always be special.

5. Jacobs Field, Cleveland - One of the earlier "new" parks and they did it right. Great sight lines from throughout the park. I like Jacobs' upper deck, a great place to watch a game.

6. Dodger Stadium, Los Angeles - Clean, neat, celebrates the game. I have seen a couple of games here, including a "Freeway Series" game vs. Anaheim, and from what I can tell the fans are more into the game than TV announcers always criticize them for - arriving late, leaving early and all that.

7. GABP, Cincinnati - It's nice, but you get the feeling that it could have been so much better. I was a big Broadway Commons backer. Not impressed at all with the lackluster view into Newport from the park, and the L&N Bridge (or whatever bridge that is) is visually uninteresting. The ballpark seems forced in its location. There's never much to do around the park before and after games, and walking to the park from east of that hideous arena can be a challenge. Inside, I hate the black building in centerfield and the patch of boring, slanted green turf in front of it. That area gets so much TV time due to the park's HR-friendly status and the Reds' HR-friendly bullpen and it doesn't look visually appealing at all. I don't mind the smokestacks. A big problem I have is the Great American corporate logo topping the scoreboard instead of the team logo, like all the other new parks feature.

8. Camden Yards, Baltimore - Went to my first game here earlier this month. The surrounding Inner Harbor area is awesome with so much to do...almost makes you want to skip the game or leave it early. The B&O railroad building and Eutaw Street are really nice, as are the markers on the street signifying where HR balls landed. The rest of the park was pretty standard and the atmosphere was a little dull, but maybe that's because I was at a Monday night game where barely 15,000 turned out for a sleepy shutout of Toronto.

9. Comerica Park, Detroit - The surrounding neighborhood, like much of Detroit, is a pit. Don't park too far away. The park itself is OK but nothing really stands out.

Defunct parks I've been to, in order:

1. Riverfront Stadium, Cincinnati - Don't care about its flaws. This will always be my first. I grew up with it.

2. Tiger Stadium, Detroit - Lots of character, short on amenities. Miserable area.

3. Municipal Stadium, Cleveland - Saw an Opening Day here...something like 80,000 fans for a 14-inning game vs. Boston.

4. Candlestick Park, San Francisco - I remember the cold wind and going through metal detectors to sit in the outfield bleachers.

5. Fulton Co. Stadium, Atlanta - Blah. Did see an Olympic baseball game here though - USA vs. Cuba. Fans did the tomahawk chop.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

7. GABP, Cincinnati - It's nice, but you get the feeling that it could have been so much better. I was a big Broadway Commons backer. Not impressed at all with the lackluster view into Newport from the park, and the L&N Bridge (or whatever bridge that is) is visually uninteresting. The ballpark seems forced in its location. There's never much to do around the park before and after games, and walking to the park from east of that hideous arena can be a challenge. Inside, I hate the black building in centerfield and the patch of boring, slanted green turf in front of it. That area gets so much TV time due to the park's HR-friendly status and the Reds' HR-friendly bullpen and it doesn't look visually appealing at all. I don't mind the smokestacks. A big problem I have is the Great American corporate logo topping the scoreboard instead of the team logo, like all the other new parks feature.
    just say you "hate it" and save your fingers... and also include the second paragraph as the answer as to why you do...
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

The PNC is the logo on top there giant scoreboard, similar to the Great American logo at GABP......doesn't bother me at all. I'm making my first trip to Cleveland for a game. Are there hotels within walking distance to Jacobs?

Quote Originally Posted by indyred
    The PNC is the logo on top there giant scoreboard, similar to the Great American logo at GABP......doesn't bother me at all. I'm making my first trip to Cleveland for a game. Are there hotels within walking distance to Jacobs?
    Yes, but GOOD luck... neither I or deltachi could get a good room DT - as a matter of fact there were no rooms in some DT hotels. We ended up in the 'burbs. The Cleveland Grand Prix is this weekend.
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

-Riverfront Stadium/Cinergy Field: First ballpark visited, good memories will always remember the place.
    -Turner Field: Nice ballpark. Huge Videoboard. Worst Ushers ever.
    -Skydome/Rogers Centre: Cool first retractable roof ballpark in a great city.
    -Veterans Stadium: HUGE but nice even though most didnt like it.
    -Camden Yards: Great setting, great ballpark, best part: Eutaw Street.
    -Great American Ball Park: Red seats are great for a new ballpark. Makes it different.
    -Comerica Park: Run down city, park near the stadium. Ok new ballpark.
    -Jacobs Field: One of the best retro ballparks. Good setting.
    -PNC Park: Best ballpark period. Cant beat the view.
    -Busch Stadium (old): Best cookie cutter ballpark. Should have kept that place standing.
    -Kauffman Stadium: Second best ballpark in baseball. Fountains awesome.
    -Wrigley Field: Over-rated, but still cool b/c of the setting and age.
    -Miller Park: Best retractable roof ballpark. Love the facade.
    -US Cellular Field: Great ballpark. Could have a better location and a city view. Good organ music.
    -RFK Stadium: Worst cookie cutter stadium ever. Bad city, bad location.
    -Citizens Bank Park: Great city, cool ballpark. Check out Ashburn Alley in centerfield.
    -Fenway Park: Best older ballpark. Better than Wrigley Field and Yankee Stadium. Setting is great and good atmospher inside.
    -Yankee Stadium: Historical but has a 70s feel to it. Great sound system.
    -Shea Stadium: I like it, different and good sound system.
    -Busch Stadium (new): July 2006

Jacobs Field -- Reds vs Indians a few years ago and was surprised to find out when we got there that it was the dual bobblehead giveaway game of Concepcion and Vizquel. A nice little treat and a nice stadium. Wasn't the best ever but by far wasn't the worst.

Tropicana Field -- Horrible, horrible ballpark in my opinion. And it seemed really really small from the inside although it looked fairly large from the outside. I saw the Royals take on the Devils Rays that evening, so you can imagine that affair. But we did get to see Jonny Gomes hit three homers in the game almost all of them being to the exact same spot in the ballpark. I believe out of 27 years of going to Reds games, that is the first time I have seen 3 homers hit by one player in a game.

I haven't been to that many stadiums, other than Riverfront and Great American, unless you want to count the time I took a tour of Wrigley Field although we didn't get to go to a game, I got to sit on the bench and go through the entire clubhouse and all the ins and outs of the park. But that is about it.

Jacobs Field -- Reds vs Indians a few years ago and was surprised to find out when we got there that it was the dual bobblehead giveaway game of Concepcion and Vizquel. A nice little treat and a nice stadium. Wasn't the best ever but by far wasn't the worst.
    Ahh... I was there too! But the policy was one bobblehead per person - not ticket like at GABP. They stamped your hand to mark you. Stupid me, I bought two more tickets for a co-worker and RedInChicago but to no avail...

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z-Fly
    This is an intresting topic for me. My goal in life is to visit a ball park in every major league city. These are the ones I have been to so far. I am not jokeing that so far my favorite was Tropicana. I honestly was not all the impressed with wrigley field. I have been there several differnt times. I hated Pro player stadium. This summer I plan to visit Turner field and also the new Bush field. I am only 21 and I think I am well on my way to my goal.

1) Tropicana
    2) Jacobs Field
    3) GABP
    4) Wrigley
    5) Old Bush
    6) Camden Yards
    7) Riverfront
    8) Pro Player Stadium

Get a traveling job like me, and it will be much easier to reach your goal.
    "And the fact that watching him pitch is like having someone poop on your soul." FCB on Gary Majewski

I was at Shea when I was younger (probably 12 years ago). I just remember it was the Reds and Mets and Reds were up big. Mets fans then broke out a "Yankees suck" chant! haha
    "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?!"

Turn Off Ads?