Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ballparks you've been to... and experiences

Re: Ballparks you've been to... and experiences

Quote Originally Posted by timmario66
    Yankee Stadium - in the bleachers for Red Sox game 9/9/01. Surreal considering what happened two days later. Love the atmosphere. Wasn't as bad as it probably would be now for Red Sox game. Almost caught a batting glove thrown by Joe Oliver. Didn't like you couldn't go anywhere else in the stadium from the bleachers.
    Oh my lord I was at that very game! that's crazy. And you're right, I never would have remembered the date of it had it not been for the events surrounding it.

Back then it was not very difficult to get tickets to Yankees-Sox games. Amazing how things change when the teams are both competitive. I wonder if, with today's media, that would change if one of them started to suck.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The only other MLB stadium I have been to outside of the 2 Cincinnati ballparks is Kauffmann Stadium. The first thing that struck me is the entire Truman Sports Complex parking lot. It was seriously so nice not having to fight all the streets in Cincinnati and various parking lots, much less confusing and easy access off I-435. The ballpark is very nice as someone else mentioned the fountains and even though the ballpark is a little older it is very well maintained. They actually had a promotion going that season that if the Royals got 12 hits in a game that everyone in the ballpark received a free dozen of Krispy Kreme doughnuts if you went to Krispy Kreme within like 2 days of the occurance. So the Royals had a one run lead in the ninth against Cleveland and alot of the fans were booing the Royals because they had 11 hits and they were hoping the Indians would tie it up so they had a chance to get their free doughnuts. So as I was laughing about that I saw everyone focusing their attention on center field and a streaker was running by Carlos Beltran in the outfield. The security guards were chasing after him and tackled the naked guy on the field. Not to mention all of this happened on dollar hotdog, dollar pop, and dollar something else night. Oh by the way the Royals won in that inning and alot of fans went home not having a ticket stub for their free dozen of doughnuts.
    Last edited by harangatang; 06-22-2006 at 10:40 PM.

Kaufmann nee Royals Stadium was the first one I ever went to. Everything harangatang said about the stadium is true. The fountains and the grassy knolls in the OF make it really peaceful. It's a great place to watch a ballgame. I've also been to Busch II after they did the remodeling. It was a cookie cutter park but they really put a lot of effort into making it not look like one. I have also made the trip to Wrigley several times. I just think it's so cool you are walking down the street of a neighborhood and right in the middle of it is a baseball stadium. It's like someone just plopped it down in there. It is kind of dumpy but it is really cool. I like the fact that the El stops right by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I been to the following parks.

Riverfront
    Candlestick
    Yankee
    Oakland
    Wrigley
    Fenway
    Fulton County
    Turner Field
    Old Comiskey
    New Comiskey
    Jacobs
    Three Rivers

I'm hoping to make it to Seattle and SBC (SF) this year.
    School's out. What did you expect?

The Ballpark in Arlington is huge, like everything in TX & I am sure that is why it is so big. As for wasted space, I am not really sure about that. I thought it was nice probably been to 5 or 6 games there.

Shea was ok, seats were a bit uncomfortable and angled funny, but we had great seats both times (corporate). It's a pretty long train ride from Midtown though.

Yankee Stadium was nice, a bit dirty, but the history inside there is palpable. Expensive beer. The Indians put the worst hurtin' ever put on the Yanks, at home, the game I went to. It was like 22-3 or thereabouts.

GABP is nice, but it is too confined, seems crammed into the space, which it literally was. Concourses are much too small on the main level, esp. on the 1st base side. Good sight lines for the most part.

Riverfront- lots of nice memories, dollar dogs, but seats were pretty far from the playing surface. As has been said, cookie cutter.

GABP is nice, but it is too confined, seems crammed into the space, which it literally was.
    Spacious when compared to Pac Bell (or whatever they call it today)

First big league stadium ever attended, Three Rivers, Aug 17, 1983. My 9'th birthday, parents drove me up to see the Reds, may have been Benchs last road homer that night?
    2'nd, Tiger Stadium, last game 84 World Series. Caught a Gibson homer in BP, only to be robbed of it by an older guy who grabbed it out of my glove. He dropped his glasses when he did it, and I stepped on them on purpose since he stole my ball-my dad still laughs and shares that story.
    Also been to numerous games at Fenway when I lived in RI for a year, my favorite baseball experience stadium so far. Yankee Stadium was neat once inside, lots of tradition, but what a dump otherwise. Old Fulton County St in Atl, and the new one, nothing special to me either one. Camden is a beautiful stadium, but has no baseball feel to me, I have been to about a 1/2 dozen games there, and just never felt the baseball spirit, maybe cause its the Orioles. A neat sideshow there however is the Babe Ruth museum, I went summer before last to the O's Mariners game, and decided to swing by the museum walking back to the hotel, and Julia Ruth Stevens happened to be there, what an amazing woman to talk to!!!
    Also been to Doubleday, for the phantom Reds-Red Sox HOF Game during Benchs HOF induction weekend, but the Reds never made it out of Canada, so ended up Sox-PawSox scrimmage. Almost got a Bench homer from his BP/HR derby, but the security guard scolded me if I fell over the fence, he would remove me-he pocketed the ball and walked off
    Been to many, many Minor league parks, esp here in North Carolina-have season ticket plan for the Durham Bulls. Been going to see them since the early 80's-got my first autograph there when my dad told me to go ask some old guy for his. I went down to where he was standing near the fence, but by the time I got down there, he was moving towards the dugout. Being a 3'rd grader, my dad told me to go get his auto, so I walked right through the gate, down into the dugout, and handed the guy a ball to sign. He laughed, and laughed, signed it, and grabbed me by the hand to carry me back up to my dad in the stands, shaking off the guards coming to get me. That Luke Appling ball still sits on my bookcase . I loved that old stadium-I was an extra in Bull Durham, went to kids camps there every summer, can still smell and hear every sound of that park, imagine the water running down the wall by the bathrooms on the first base-side, now that is baseball folks!! I even had a dream come true when I got to play a game there in high school. Sad it isnt being used now, just sits there abandonded, crumbling, hosts the annual beer festival yearly (which I do go to, grab a few drinks, and sit in the stands as if its the Field of Dreams). The new park is very nice, but has lost the old school baseball touch, but I still love to go. I am actually proposing to my girlfriend at next Friday night's game when they come back in town-fireworks night
    ALso been to Asheville, Asheboro (got to play there), Pawtucket (got to play there), Kinston NC (got to play there, tried out for the Indians there), Burlington (neat old stadium as well, got to play/tryouts there too), Oneota (sp?), Myrtle Beach, Wilmington.
    I also go to Sring Training often, although I have missed the last 3 years now. My college ritual, while kids packed up by the dozens to go to Daytona, etc., I packed a tent and headed out by myself to tour the west coast of Fl, chasing the Reds around. I went to Plant City 6-7 years in a row at one point. When they moved to Sarasota, my dad went with me for a long weekend. Weird story about to follow!!! We got out of the camper at Ed Smith Stadium, and I felt overcome with an eery feeling, enough that I froze. My dad asked me waht was wrong, and I could only reply I had a funny feeling, felt like I had been there or something, and my dads jaw dropped. He pointed at a lot directly across the street, and said that is where your grandmother used to live, we brought you with us when she died, but you were 2, maybe 3 years old.
    OK, nuff rambling folks, hope i havent bored any of you too much, prob my longest post ever anywhere!
    sCOTT

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran
    just say you "hate it" and save your fingers... and also include the second paragraph as the answer as to why you do...
    I don't have a problem admitting that is a reason why I am underwhelmed. It just doesn't fit into downtown like a park could have at Broadway, IMO. And that black monstrocity in center field. Why?

I do like the upper deck concourse and the all-red seats. Love the sun/moon deck also.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Parks I've been to: Riverfront, Old Busch, Tiger, Old Comisky, New Comisky, Wrigley, Milwaukee County, 3 Rivers, Veterans, Mile High, Memorial (Baltimore), Cleveland Municipal, Jacobs, GABP, Fenway, PNC.

Minor leages: Columbus, Toledo (old and new), Louisville (old and new), Thrurman Munson (Canton), Lexington, Savannah GA, Colorado Springs, Dayton, Richmond, Chillicothe, Indianapolis, Old Chattanooga, Old Knoxville, Nashville, Birmingham, Montgomery, Mobile, Old Durham, Charlotte.

College parks: Dayton, Xavier, Miami, Wright State, Cincinnati, Ohio St., Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina, Miss St., LSU, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Texas, Belmont, Lipscomb, Western KY, some more I can't remember for sure... and Rosenblatt

Fav major league: Fenway
    Fav minor league: Dayton
    Least fav major: Cleveland Municipal
    Least fav minor league: Old Toledo
    Fav college: Miss St.
    Least fav college: Kentucky
    Fav anywhere: Rosenblatt.

I keep thinking of new ones and adding them.
    Dabvu: I am just curious how long it has been since you have seen a game at Cliff Hagan stadium?

Granted it was a dump prior to its renovation in 1990, but most visiting fans give it a pretty good rating lately. The kind reviews are due to its cozy dimensions (2,500 capacity), but asthetically I have seen far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie
    Dabvu: I am just curious how long it has been since you have seen a game at Cliff Hagan stadium?

Granted it was a dump prior to its renovation in 1990, but most visiting fans give it a pretty good rating lately. The kind reviews are due to its cozy dimensions (2,500 capacity), but asthetically I have seen far worse.
    Last year. Part of my reasoing is that no one was ever there when I was. That changed some this year.

Look at the rest of the college parks I've been to and you may understand why I ranked it last.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    Last year. Part of my reasoing is that no one was ever there when I was. That changed some this year.

Look at the rest of the college parks I've been to and you may understand why I ranked it last.
    I just thought you might have visited it in its shabbier-looking days. Yeah, the crowd support at Hagan has been just awful prior to this year. I have been to a few of the other SEC parks as well (Gainesville, Athens, Knoxville) and they are cathedrals compared to Lexington.

I've been to Wrigley, Fenway, PNC, Comerica, Jacobs, and of course GABP and Cinergy/Riverfront. Fenway has a certain aura about it, but I like Jacobs of the newer parks. This reminds me of a story...when visiting PNC in Pittsburgh, a fan said to me, "Have you been to the restrooms yet? They have TV's in there." I said, "Really." He said, "Yeah, that's why they call it P-N-C Park."

I have only seen games in a few.
    Busch II, Riverfront, GABP, Safeco, and Angels Stadium.
    Anaheim is really nice. I saw the WBC game against Korea in which Jr. went yard and that was about the only offense they had that night. The waterfalls are neat and the overall feel to the stadium is pretty cool. Safeco is amazing. Setting is nice and I love the trains going through the back part of the stadium. Great and unique feature. Ushers were extremely friendly and got to see da meat hook go deep and lead the Tigers to the win.

Other stadiums I have visited.
    Wrigley
    Miller Park
    Kauffman
    Dodger Stadium - snuck in during renovations and got some good pics of the place.
    Jacobs Field
    Tropicana
    Turner Field
    Camden
    Shea Stadium

Turn Off Ads?