Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: English Bulldog vs. Samsung 50" DLP HDTV

University of Cincinnati

English Bulldog vs. Samsung 50" DLP HDTV

Ok I just graduated (I'm 23) and I'm thinking about buying an English Bulldog or possibly a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV. Does anyone have an english bulldog? Is it easy to take care of? Would most of you just reccommend the TV?
    THE University of Cincinnati

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: English Bulldog vs. Samsung 50" DLP HDTV

British Bulldogs

You could get a 42" TV and a mutt.

Just thinking out loud, here.

Makes all the routine posts.

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland
    You could get a 42" TV and a mutt.

Just thinking out loud, here.

lol hmmmm thinking.....

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    Ok I just graduated (I'm 23) and I'm thinking about buying an English Bulldog or possibly a Samsung 50" DLP HDTV. Does anyone have an english bulldog? Is it easy to take care of? Would most of you just reccommend the TV?
    Nice enough dogs, but they have lots of problems. All of them have breathing problems. Many have hips so poor that they require reconstructive surgery before 1 year old. Skin problems are a big concern as well. In reality, they are a very expensive novelty item.

My advice is to go to the local shelter and pick out something you like. You will have a good companion and plenty of money left over for a nice TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler
    Nice enough dogs, but they have lots of problems. All of them have breathing problems. Many have hips so poor that they require reconstructive surgery before 1 year old. Skin problems are a big concern as well. In reality, they are a very expensive novelty item.

My advice is to go to the local shelter and pick out something you like. You will have a good companion and plenty of money left over for a nice TV.
    Red Heeler knows his animals. Shelter dogs can be extemely loving animals. I got my shelter dog at 3 months. She's going on 10 now and still greets me when I get home as she did when she was a puppy. Lots of love there.

If I were to get a purebred, I would do so because it has certain traits that work well with my lifestyle. For example, if you have allergies, some purebreds won't affect you as much as other breeds or mixes. Also, you don't want a husky if you live in a small apartment and don't have time to take it for long walks. I would look into the traits of the English Bulldog and the potential health problems to make sure it was a dog I could handle and afford to take care of before making that decision.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

University of Cincinnati

The thought behind an English Bulldog was that I live in a house with friends in Clifton, without a yard and since they are a house dog it would make sense. I've heard they do have some health concerns and would require alot of attention and care taking.

If they do have all these issues why are they so expensive?

I love my dog (Chocolate Lab) and wouldn't give him up, but realize that dogs in general need attention (mine probably more so than others, LOL). It really depends on if you have the time, energy and patience for one. Good luck!

University of Cincinnati

Well I have a full-time job working 8-5 and I typically go out like friday or saturday nights (parties/bars) so i would think that would still be enough time

I don't know, beb.

I also work a "normal" 9-5 job, but I go home practically every day for lunch and spend an hour with him. You also need to make sure you hang out with him after work and before your nights out or he'll get bored/depressed and start destroying your house.

Dogs are not cats. They need a lot of 1 on 1 attention.

I had a terrier mix who had separation anxiety so bad that he broke off all his teeth trying to get out of his crate. Now, that said, he was THE BEST!

I currently have 2 rescued dogs that are great. I was going to make a specific post about that sometime here soon as they are retired racing greyhounds and the group that I adopted from is about to have 50 more dogs to ship out soon.

www.teamgreyhound.com

beb - These dogs are low maintenance house dogs if you're interested and a heck of a lot cheaper than a bulldog.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    The thought behind an English Bulldog was that I live in a house with friends in Clifton, without a yard and since they are a house dog it would make sense. I've heard they do have some health concerns and would require alot of attention and care taking.

If they do have all these issues why are they so expensive?
    Bulldogs are expensive because there is a high demand (due to the novelty factor) and low supply. Litters are generally very small, and most pups must be born by C-section due to the heads being too large to pass through the female tract.

Honestly, for a person with limited time and space, you are better off with a cat. They are much lower maintainence pets.

I've got a friend with an English Bulldog. He's already spent about 2 grand in vet bills, including the operation on the hip.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Honestly, for a person with limited time and space, you are better off with a cat. They are much lower maintainence pets.
    And they rock.

University of Cincinnati

I'm a dog person myself......

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62
    I've got a friend with an English Bulldog. He's already spent about 2 grand in vet bills, including the operation on the hip.
    Thats something that would def scare me away.....how long has he had this dog?

Turn Off Ads?