Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: English Bulldog vs. Samsung 50" DLP HDTV

Re: English Bulldog vs. Samsung 50" DLP HDTV

Quote Originally Posted by beb30
    I guess i could always get one when Im older and have the money to spend on a breed such as an English Bulldog

Other Breeds Id be interested in/like are:
    Bullmastiff
    Newfoundland (parents own 1)
    American Bulldog
    You have to have a real big yard and be able to spend the time to walk those first two breeds. Definately not "college" dogs.

American bulldogs are almost as expensive as English Bulldogs, I believe. A lot healthier, though, although some are prone to hip dysplasia. You might be able to get away with one as a house dog, but it would need to be exercised daily.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 06-22-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Best dogs I've ever owned are mixed breeds and greyhounds. Mixed breeds tend to be intelligent and healthy. Greyhounds get a bad rap for being hyperactive. That is far from true. They are completely lazy and would gain weight and be unhealthy if you let them gain too much weight.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498
    You're right. When my wife met my dogs, I just became a passenger in the relationship.
    I think that's illegal in some states.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by ochre
    I think that's illegal in some states.
    They sleep in the bed more than I do!

Yay!

beb--One other thing to think about. Maybe trying a non-puppy for your first dog. All puppys are cute, but when you're confronted with 70+ pounds of adult dog, it makes for a very clear reality check.

University of Cincinnati

"Unfortunately" I may have to go with the Big TV, afterall it may be kind of nice playing xbox 360 on HD
    THE University of Cincinnati

Probably the best choice right now, but there is always time for a pup later. Don't let anyone talk you out of a pure breed, though. As long as you locate a reputable breeder, they are just fine - and great dogs.

Welsh Corgi!!!

Pugs are cool as well.

Aren't English Springer Spaniels supposed to be the smartest (if you can measure such things) breed?
    Border Collies are highly intelligent...almost too smart. I have a border collie mix who was very interesting to train. She picks things up fast, but if you don't keep up on the training, she will quickly figure out whether she actually has to listen to you or not. When we were training her to stay and come on command, the first step was to get her to come for a treat. Then next step involved the use a long lead with a pinch collar. You tell the dog to stay, walk to the end of the lead, drop it, turn your back to the dog and say "come" (so she comes on the sound of your voice, not gestures). If the dog doesn't come in 5 seconds, turn around grab the lead and give it a tug to give the dog a pinch. The last step is to get the dog to come without a lead attached at all. There are a few more intermediate steps I've skipped, but I'm sure everyone gets the picture. Sure enough, our dog learned the first two steps rather quickly. Then, when it came time for the off-lead work, I would say "come" and she would look at me. Then she'd look at the ground to find her lead. If she didn't have a lead, she would bolt. We finally had to use tricks like hiding the lead under leaves or rugs so that she would think it was off and have someone else hold the lead for the correction. Eventually she gave up and started obeying the command, but it took a long time because she kept figuring out whether she "had" to obey or not.

They're also great athletes. Good for agility training and great as "frisbee dogs." However, they can be high maintenance if you have a small apartment.

Labs are easy to train and great companions, but they can get fat if you feed them too much or don't exercise them enough. They'll eat and eat and eat if you let them.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

My grandparents had 4 English bulldogs during their lifetime. I was around for 2 of them. I'm not really a dog person, but these dogs were chock full of characteristics that I thought were especially unappealing.

- Shedding in abundance
    - Stubborn and strong
    - Not particularly smart or trainable, which isn't a good combo with the previous bullet point.
    - Big producers of slobber and drool
    - Their male dog had some kind of vestigial glands that needed to be evacuated by the vet every three months, with a gloved finger in the end with the tail.
    - Thanks to the gland thing, the shedding and the drooling, bulldogs are smelly creatures.
    - Loud snorers... it was never a mystery when the bulldog was asleep!

I'm not a fan of the breed or big dogs in general, but my grandparents loved them. I guess they were fortunate that their dogs never needed the dysplasia surgery. The only upside I could see is that the bulldogs had a fairly good disposition and they definitely attracted attention. There's not much about them that I find appealing.

OTOH, I dig HDTV.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 06-22-2006 at 05:27 PM.

Attached you will find a picture of Picotte. I love her to pieces, but she is not without her troubles.

Good points about English bulldogs: they're great dogs. Incredibly loyal, sweet dogs; you're unlikely to have aggression problems with them and they'er good with all people and other dogs. I used to work with dogs and there were several bulldogs among them, they never, ever snapped at anyone. In general they're just very good-tempered, and usually downright sweet and loving. They're smart as heck, some of the smartest dogs around, easily trainable and generally housebreak pretty well. They're strong, rough-and-tumble dogs, which makes them fun. Picotte happens to be an unusually active bulldog (we'll get to that), so she's terrific fun. She runs me ragged at the park (in a good way), she has a great time with other dogs, and is just an all-around good, happy dog. If you can find an active bulldog, go for it. They're rare and wonderful.

bad points: the image is true: they're extremely stubborn. They also tend toward laziness, which is why they're a good dog for older people. On the other hand, they can't be allowed to be too lazy or they'll get horribly fat, and in that sense a 23-year-old could be a good owner if you're willing to make sure the dog gets excercise. But couple this with the strength and the stubborness, and it can be difficult. I've dealt with bulldogs who can literally almost pull me over if I try to get them to walk and they just want to stay still. Again, they're never aggressive about it, just stubborn.

but this is all doable if you put the effort into it. The real problems with bulldogs, as a lot of people have stated, has to do with their health. A reputable breeder can help with this. But inherently they run higher risks than a lot of other dogs because of the way they've been bread and built. Their nasal passages are very short and smushed, so they have a lot of breathing problems (the drool thing is true too, but that actually can depend on the dog -- Picotte is drooly only when she runs around -- and the drool thing, let's face it, is true for a lot of dogs and some cats too). And the testicle problem is true too. I have a friend whose bulldog's testicles actually exploded. Twice. this, of course, can be alleviated by getting a female, like Picotte.

Honestly, if you are 23, I might hold off, even for just a couple of years. A dog is a huge commitment and this dog in particular can surprise you with health problems that can cost a fortune (pet insurance is wonderful and I wouldn't go without it, but it doesn't cover everything). Housebreaking and training in general, to be done right, requires several months of constant care, going out on a good schedule such as every three hours EVEN THROUGH THE NIGHT. If it's done well, it shouldn't take that long, but even a few weeks can be wearing. If you're ready, go for it, but MAKE SURE you are ready. That's a huge investment to go wrong.

My personal opinon? If you must get a dog, rescue a mutt from the pound. My heart bleeds -- well, for everything, but especially for animals, and there are thousands of dogs that need homes. Purebred dogs in general have more health problems because they are inbred. You get a mutt from a pound, and if you know his history, you are likely to get a smart, healthy dog for a lot less money who really needs a home. www.petfinder.org is a great resource, and you can even search by breed. If you decide you really want a bulldog, there is a bulldog rescue too, www.rescuebulldog.org. I would always get a dog from the pound first. Picotte was a gift, though, and like an accidental baby, I wouldn't trade her for anything, she is the best dog in the world, so take from all that what you will.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

University of Cincinnati

Thanks Vaticanplum for all the info, I really appreciate it, after reading up on them and getting information from these posts, It def seems better to maybe hold off till I'm a little older.....
    THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader
    beb.

Funny enough, when I was in college I was in the same boat you are in now. I wanted to get a dog, and I wanted to get a bulldog. I got some books at the school library and went to a bulldog breeder and talked to them. I found out what everyone in here has told you in about 12 posts - they are really expensive to take care of. I didn't end up getting the dog because of the costs involved. I spent that money on a wide screen TV.

As far as house dogs go, I think one of the better breeds for that are Boston Terriers. They are sooo cool. They kind of look like miniature bulldogs, but they are funny, funny dogs. My roommate in college had one and his name was Dudley. One of the best dogs I've ever known. Loyal, happy go lucky, funny, loving, and he had no problems sitting around all day waiting for us to come home. You might want to look into those and do a little more research on them if you're interested. I would advise talking to a breeder about the breed as well. They know a lot about the dogs and are a good resource.
    I have to second this opinion on boston terriers. I currently have two dogs both of which I have adopted from the humane society and one of them is a pure breed boston terrier. He is a smart, lovable, caring, hard headed, cute, little guy. Can not say enough good things about him, he is extremely intelligent and easy to train. One thing about them though that I discovered and have heard from other owners of bostons is that they have bad gas and snore really loud. They are great house dogs and good companions.

But they don't look cool on a leash in the park.
    There's a guy in my neighborhood who owns a cat and a dog. He walks the dog on a leash. The cat trots along beside him with no leash, as if he and the guy are out walking their poor, stupid dog.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Here's me ranking of pets:

1. Cats
    2. Big Dogs
    3. Every other kind of pet
    4. Small Dogs
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool
    There's a guy in my neighborhood who owns a cat and a dog. He walks the dog on a leash. The cat trots along beside him with no leash, as if he and the guy are out walking their poor, stupid dog.
    I'd never had a dog that I hadn't been able to "untrain" from a leash until I got a greyhound. They're "sight hunters" and are prone to take off after anything that moves. At 35+ MPH, they're gone. I've never lost one, but had a couple get quite misplaced.

Turn Off Ads?