Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp
    05/25/2006 1:15 PM ET
    Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans
    Junior college players can re-enter draft pool if they don't sign
    By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com
    While most of the attention leading up to the draft is focused on who will be taken on June 6 and 7, it's still not completely clear who will be available for the 30 teams' consideration.
    Every year, teams take players -- there are 50 rounds, after all -- who they don't sign. High schoolers (and some junior college students) who don't sign have two options: They can go to a four-year school, which would mean the team selecting them would immediately lose their rights, or they can go to a junior college. If they choose the latter, the team that drafts them retains negotiating rights up until the week before the next draft. If they don't sign by then, they re-enter the draft pool.

It's called draft-and-follow and it's a strategy almost every team uses, usually purposefully, to further build its farm system. In many cases, a high schooler is too raw or is coming off of an injury, so the organization doesn't want to sign him. They convince the player to go to junior college, so they can monitor his performance and see how he progresses. Then a determination is made whether or not to sign him. Occasionally, a raw high schooler will blossom so much in that year that he turns himself into a first-round-caliber talent, making the decision a little tougher.

Who were the top draft-and-follows from last year's draft? What is their current status in terms of signing or re-entering the draft? Here's a list of 10 names to know and where things stand with each.

Pedro Beato, RHP, St. Petersburg JC
    The Mets don't have a first-round pick, but many believe their 17th-round pick from a year ago is of first-round caliber. A year removed from Tommy John surgery, Beato's velocity hadn't come all the way back when the Mets drafted him. This year, he's back up to the low-to-mid 90s. He's got a plus curve and an improving changeup as secondary pitches. At 6-foot-5, 210 pounds, he's extremely projectable. There was no indication that a deal was imminent, but the Mets do have the resources to make sure he signs.

Sean O'Sullivan, RHP, Grossmont JC
    O'Sullivan turned down a sizeable bonus from the Angels after they took him in the third round, hoping to improve his draft status. He had a down senior year of high school, a big reason why he slid to the third round. A very good athlete who played two ways in junior college, he's performed fairly well and there's a chance he'd go faster than he did last year if he re-enters. The Angels are still working with him and hope to come to a fair agreement. This is one that could come down to the wire.

Bryan Morris, RHP, Motlow State JC
    This one is a little more complicated. After the Devil Rays took him in the third round -- he's the highest drafted player from last year still unsigned -- he almost came to terms last summer. But negotiations fell apart and Morris headed to Motlow. He dominated on the mound there while also playing the outfield. The Rays have new management now and they've been having an ongoing dialogue with Morris in the hopes of signing him. Chances are, this will be an announcement that comes at midnight on deadline day. If he goes back into the draft, he could go as high as the end of the first round.

Milton Loo, SS/3B, Yavapai JC
    The Reds drafted Loo in the ninth round last year out of JC, but he went back for a second year. He's turned down two offers from the Reds, but there was still hope he'd sign. He's got plenty of tools, with the ability to steal a base and hit for power. He's good defensively at two positions, though an elbow injury made him a designated hitter only for part of this past season.

Complete coverage >Bryan Casey, RHP/3B, Arizona Western JC
    The Royals took the 6-3, 205-pounder in the 20th round last year, and he's generated interest as both a pitcher and a hitter. He's new to pitching, but he's been clocked as high as 97 mph this season, perhaps the reason why the Royals just signed him. As a converted pitcher, he'll start as a reliever with Idaho Falls in the rookie-level Pioneer League. If he progresses as hoped, he could be a starter somewhere in the Royals system next season.

Tommy Hanson, RHP, Riverside CC, Calif.
    The Braves took the 6-5 right-hander in the 27th round last year and watched him throw very well at Riverside this season. His fastball has hit 95 mph and he's got good command to boot. The Braves announced this week that they had signed him, one of six draft-and-follows they have inked this spring. Another key signee was Travis Flowers, the first baseman out of Chipola JC in Florida.

Aaron Breit, RHP, Garden City CC, Kansas
    Drew Miller, RHP, Seminole State JC, Oklahoma
    Both of these pitchers are under the Padres' control. The Friars took Breit in the 12th round out of Garden City CC and he returned for another go-round. So did Miller, whom the Pads took in the 37th round out of Seminole State. Both are big-armed right-handers. The Padres have offers out to them, hoping both will sign.

Steven Marquardt, 3B/SS, Columbia Basin JC, Washington
    Marquardt returned to the Pacific Northwest and his junior college after the Rangers took him in the 23rd round, and he continued to perform well. He's big and strong and pretty athletic with power potential as a future corner infielder. He's shown some strength at the plate, but he hasn't had a consistent approach from at-bat to at-bat. He was drafted by the Phillies out of high school and didn't sign, went to Washington State very briefly, then left and ended at Columbia Basin. It was still up in the air whether Texas would be able to come to an agreement with him.

Jonthan Holdzkom, RHP, Salt Lake CC, Utah
    The Mariners took the right-hander out of Rancho Cucamonga high school in the 15th round, and he went to Salt Lake ... for a while. While his velocity was reportedly into the upper-90s at times, he struggled with command, walking almost as many as he struck out. He left the school and went home, where he was pitching in weekend leagues to stay sharp if he re-enters the draft. His brother is Lincoln Holdzkom, now with the Cubs organization.

Jonathan Mayo is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Draft-and-follow throws curve into plans

http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft...m.php?team=CIN
    2005 Draft: Cincinnati Reds

TOTAL PICKS: 50 (College: 25, High School: 15, Juco: 10, Other: 0)
    Position Players: 25 Pitchers: 25

Players signed indicated in Bold
    Rnd Pk Overall Player Position School State
    1 12 12 Jay Bruce of West Brook HS, Beaumont, Texas TX
    2 12 60 Travis Wood lhp Bryant HS, Alexander, Ark. AR
    3 12 92 Zach Ward RHP Gardner-Webb U. NC
    4 12 122 Sam LeCure rhp U. of Texas TX
    5 12 152 James Avery rhp Niagara U NY
    6 12 182 Jeff Stevens rhp Loyola Marymount U. CA
    7 12 212 Brandon Roberts OF Cal Poly U. CA
    8 12 242 Michael Jones SS Wayne County HS, Jesup, Ga. GA
    9 12 272 Milton Loo 3b Yavapai (Ariz.) CC AZ
    10 12 302 Bo Lanier RHP U. of Georgia GA
    11 12 332 Carlos Fisher rhp Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) College ID
    12 12 362 Adam Rosales ss Western Michigan U. MI
    13 12 392 Logan Ondrusek rhp McLennan (Texas) CC TX
    14 12 422 Michael Griffin 2B Baylor U. TX
    15 12 452 Michael De Jesus 2B Coastal Carolina U. SC
    16 12 482 Jason Vecchio rhp U. of Texas-San Antonio TX
    17 12 512 David Wilson LHP Lander (S.C.) U. SC
    18 12 542 Kevyn Feiner ss Sun Prairie (Wisc.) HS WI
    19 12 572 Eric Eymann ss Kansas State U. KS
    20 12 602 Ben Mummy 1b U. of Nevada NV
    21 12 632 Ben Blumenthal C Erskine (S.C.) College SC
    22 12 662 Robbie Nickols lhp Pima (Ariz.) CC AZ
    23 12 692 James Morris lhp U. of Illinois IL
    24 12 722 Kyle Ginley RHP St. Petersburg JC FL
    25 12 752 Taylor Johnson of U. of Washington WA
    26 12 782 Matthew Salmon OF South Aiken HS, Aiken S.C. SC
    27 12 812 Kenny Smalley rhp St. Charles (Ill.) HS IL
    28 12 842 Henry-Judsen Smith rhp Phoenix JC AZ
    29 12 872 Russell Haltiwanger RHP Newberry (S.C.) College SC
    30 12 902 Mark Rodriguez c U. of Texas-Pan American TX
    31 12 932 Abe Woody rhp Baylor U. TX
    32 12 962 Chris Denove C UCLA CA
    33 12 992 Leroy Hunt of Linden HS, Stockton, Calif. CA
    34 12 1022 Brandon Camardese LHP U. of Miami FL
    35 12 1052 Angel Colon 3b Iowa Wesleyan College IA
    36 12 1082 Lorenzo Douglas rhp Sachse HS, Garland, Texas TX
    37 12 1112 Jacob Long C Modesto (Calif.) JC CA
    38 12 1142 Kuyaunnis Miles of Russell County HS, Phenix City, Ala. AL
    39 12 1172 Edwin Quirarte rhp Oxnard (Calif.) HS CA
    40 12 1201 Angel Cabrera SS Connors State (Okla.) JC OK
    41 12 1230 Justin Tordi ss U. of Florida FL
    42 12 1259 John Axford RHP U. of Notre Dame IN
    43 12 1288 Clay Long rhp Chipola (Fla.) JC FL
    44 12 1317 Jason Erickson rhp White River HS, Buckley, Wash. WA
    45 12 1346 Andre Lamontagne RHP Righetti HS, Santa Maria, Calif. CA
    46 12 1375 J.W. Brown 1B Howard (Texas) JC TX
    47 12 1404 Matt Garrett of Grand Rapids (Mich.) CC MI
    48 12 1432 Gary Pointer rhp Marcus HS, Flower Mound, Texas TX
    49 12 1459 Cody Allen of Coleman (Mich.) HS MI
    50 12 1486 Jacob Christensen RF Lockport Township (Ill.) HS IL

This appears to be the Reds draft and follows. There looks like their are Eight of them. Does anyone have any info on any of these players besides Milton Loo? Do any of the others look like they might be worth signing?
    37 12 1112 Jacob Long C Modesto (Calif.) JC CA
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 05-27-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Robbie Nickols is a 6'5" lefty with good velocity. Sign him and Loo and I'll be extremely happy.

Thanks for the info on Nickols. I hope we can sign both him and Loo at least. Any other signings would be gravy.

http://www.modbee.com/sports/story/1...12983458c.html
    Leading Off

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reds sign former MJC, Johansen star

Catcher Jake Long, a 2004 graduate of Johansen High School, has signed a contract with the Cincinnati Reds. Long recently completed his second season with Modesto Junior College and was named Central Valley Conference player of the year after hitting .372 with a .516 on-base percentage, 38 RBIs and 33 runs. Long was drafted by the Reds two years in a row: in the 44th round in 2004 and the 37th round last year. MJC was eliminated from the NorCal Regional Playoffs on May 20. The Reds made an offer the next day, and Long signed on Monday at home. "It was shocking at first. I kind of knew, but any time it happens, it's shocking," Long said. "But after it settled in, it was exciting. Cool feeling. All the hard work you put in the past two years, it paid off." Long will leave June 10 and report to Sarasota, Fla., for rookie league.

This is a good sign. The team gets another catcher into the system. Hopefully he is the first of many of our draft and follows to sign. We drafted him Two years in a row like they did with Loo. I hope at least Loo and Nickols signs.
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 05-29-2006 at 06:05 PM.

Today at midnight is the deadline for the draft and follows to sign. Has anyone seen any information on if we signed any of our seven remaining players?

Why pick "draft and follow" players if they aren't going to sign the ones who significantly improve their draft standing? Guys like Loo and Markakis

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Maybe you want to sign them but they want just a bit to much money? Maybe they want to play for someone else? I am sure that the Reds arent just sitting around not talking to Loo.

You must also remember that these picks were by the "old guard". Now with Buckley and Krivsky in charge, making Renyolds and his band of misfits just scouts basically, they may not prefer some of these players.

From what I have read Milton Loo has talent that any regime would covet.

At a minimum, the Reds need to make a concerted effort (i.e. make a good financial offer) to sign Loo. Anything less would be unacceptable. I don't know why any player would not want to sign with Cincinnati. He would be more likely to break through in Cincinnati than New York or Boston (where high profile free agent signings can cover positions for many years).

So, its midnight eastern..

No news on Loo?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

JUCO: From Molokai to the majors?
    Hawaiian’s stock rises stateside

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

By ALLEN GEMAEHLICH

The Daily Sentinel

Not many people have seen Milton Loo play, but a former high school teammate of his knew of his talents and persuaded his current college coach to give him a chance.

Now Loo, who is playing for Yavapai (Ariz.) College in the Alpine Bank Junior College World Series, is getting a chance to show several people — including college and pro scouts — what he can do.

The sophomore grew up in a remote area on the small Hawaiian island of Molokai, where no one, aside from his family and friends, could see him play.

Molokai has a population of 7,400 people. Sunday night, Loo played in front of 9,848.

“Baseball is not as advertised as football, but on my island baseball is the No. 1 sport,” Loo said. “Every boy on the island has (played) or is playing baseball.

“My family tried to get me in other sports, but I tried other sports and I just didn’t have the head for it. Baseball has been my dream ever since I started playing ball. My goal is to be a professional baseball player.”

That was a long shot growing up in Hawaii.

Although he was drafted out of high school by the Cincinnati Reds, Loo wasn’t getting any other inquiries.

Former players from the area that did get drafted encouraged him to play college ball to improve his draft status, but no college knew of Loo.

A friend and former high school teammate told Yavapai coach Sky Smeltzer about Loo.

“Kelii Alcon told us about Milton,” Smeltzer said. “It took one phone call and made him an offer. He said, ‘Kelii said it was OK, so I’m coming.’

“It’s not very often I recruit a player unseen, especially a shortstop. I trusted (Alcon). He was a good player and said Loo would be better than him. You don’t hear that often.”

Smeltzer didn’t even see film of Loo. In fact, the first time Smeltzer saw Loo was after Loo arrived in Phoenix to start college.

That was Loo’s first time away from the Hawaiian islands.

“At first the culture shock ,” Loo said. “There is no ocean, just mountains. Then baseball came along and took over.

“(Alcon) told me Prescott is not as big as Phoenix and that is was perfect. He said it was a small cottage and he had a feeling I’d like it.”

The experience he’s getting at Yavapai is what Loo wanted.

“(Loo) didn’t sign a pro contract out of high school because he hadn’t been off the island,” Smeltzer said. “He needed to get away a little bit to adjust.”

Since leaving Molokai, Loo’s opportunities have been plentiful. He was drafted by the Reds again in the ninth round after his freshman year last summer and has signed a letter-of-intent to play at Louisiana State University next year — if he doesn’t sign a pro contract.

“If I get a good offer, I’ll sign (a pro contract),” Loo said. “I’ve signed with LSU just in case.

“I’ve never been (to Baton Rouge, La.) before, but I’ve always wanted to play there. My uncle lives in Louisiana. When I was in middle school, he wanted me to go there and live with him. I checked out the school on the Internet and their baseball program is awesome.”

Whether Loo goes to LSU or signs with the Reds by next Tuesday’s draft or signs with another team that drafts him, his future is bright.

“He’s got the stubbornness, determination and work ethic to make it,” Smeltzer said. “He doesn’t want to go back to the island and work for $5 an hour the rest of his life.

“He has the best tools of any player I’ve had in the program in my 10 years. That doesn’t mean he’ll make it. He’s got to stay healthy and continue to work hard.”

The Baseball America preseason junior college player of the year also is a team player.

Normally a shortstop, Loo has adapted to playing third base

He now has fans and friends back in Prescott to go with his support network across the Pacific Ocean.

“The whole island is behind me 100 percent,” Loo said. “I go back and help the Little League. Everywhere I go (in Hawaii) I have family tell me I have a good opportunity to take what I can and do my best.”

http://www.gjsentinel.com/sports/con...oo_1C_WWW.html

Sounds like a way to tap into a fan base by getting this kid.

I hope it gets done.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

One Man Army

In a bit of good news for teams in this year's draft, the Draft & Follow signing deadline passed last night. Neither Beato nor Morris signed with their respective clubs, surprisingly enough.

Did Loo sign?

Turn Off Ads?