Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds baseball cards websites

Reds baseball cards websites

Anyone know of good sites catologuing Red baseball cards.

I'm specifically looking for team issued sets, or Kahns sets from the Big Red Machine era and wondering what exists out there in terms of that time frame.

Also, has there ever been an exhaustive Red set of either everyone in the Reds HOF or to ever play a game for the modern NL Reds (I'm not even going to guess on the original Reds, AA Reds, NA Reds or any other Cincy NL team, especially pre 1900's)

Steve

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds baseball cards websites

If you can get a copy of the Baseball Card Encyclopedia you can find all of the team sets listed in there. It's a bit pricey, but if you're lucky your local library may have a copy.

I can tell you that there weren't any Kahn's sets in the Big Red Machine era, they were out for a few years in the late 50s or early 60s and didn't come back until around 1986. There were other team sets issued during that time though. Kahn's is my favorite set, because they include cards of Joe Average veteran players that no one else bothers with.

I would kill for an exhaustive set of every Reds player. I know the Dodgers came out with a set like that maybe 10-15 years ago, I think it had somewhere near 1000 cards, but I think they're the only team to have done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini
    If you can get a copy of the Baseball Card Encyclopedia you can find all of the team sets listed in there. It's a bit pricey, but if you're lucky your local library may have a copy.

I can tell you that there weren't any Kahn's sets in the Big Red Machine era, they were out for a few years in the late 50s or early 60s and didn't come back until around 1986. There were other team sets issued during that time though. Kahn's is my favorite set, because they include cards of Joe Average veteran players that no one else bothers with.

I would kill for an exhaustive set of every Reds player. I know the Dodgers came out with a set like that maybe 10-15 years ago, I think it had somewhere near 1000 cards, but I think they're the only team to have done that.
    Yeah, as far as I know the only other attempts are where the team's age is in the 20's to 50's range.

The Yankees did put out an interesting series in 1990 (or 1991 I don't seem to recall off hand) where they put out a card of everyone to play for the Yanks in the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's. They didn't think to do one (yet) for the 1990's, but then again the company that produced them was in bad trouble in the early years of this decade (they eventually shut down operations a few years ago) so I don't think a promotional card set was anywhere on their priority list!

Steve

Question for card collectors like myself. If someone came up with another organization do you prefer there rookie cards which are in another uniform or cards with the reds uniform on? I know RC's are more valuable but I prefer the reds cards. Its the situation for most of our players now like phillips, lopez, freel etc.

Steve,

Saw I goofed on the name of the book once I got home. Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards is the title, that should provide you with everything you need on team sets.

Radford,

Since I only collect for my own personal amusement and not as an investment I only care about cards with players as a Red. I won't get a card of Phillips as an Indian or Lopez as a Blue Jay. I'll make an exception if there is some sort of notation on it about the player being a Red (for example if there was a card of Bronson Arroyo pictured with the Red Sox and the phrase "Traded to Reds" printed on it I'll add it to the collection), otherwise I only care about cards with them in a Reds uniform.

I've got a PFD of all the vintage team sets I bought off ebay that's sweet. Send me a PM with your email. thanks

[QUOTE=Danny Serafini]I can tell you that there weren't any Kahn's sets in the Big Red Machine era, they were out for a few years in the late 50s or early 60s and didn't come back until around 1986. There were other team sets issued during that time though. Kahn's is my favorite set, because they include cards of Joe Average veteran players that no one else bothers with.
    [QUOTE]

By the way, I know what you mean about Kahns. I've been on a kick of collecting as many members of postseason teams as I can, and I buy a Kahns 1999 Reds set, and despite being released early in the year the set has a pretty darn close completeness of the "Wild Card Play-In" Reds, I don't have it on me but I think only like three are missing, most likely some of the September call ups on the roster for that game.

For some reason I also did the same for the 1994 team who was in first in the NL Central at the time of the strike (I'm extremly liberal, and anal when it comes to consideration for postseason play collections), and also scored a near complete team as well!

Sad thing is, both years fall into the time frame where the card companies really started scaling down on the amount of cards per set, so thats when you started seeing only the main starters, front of the rotation and closers and one or two bench guys really represented, other wise the best bet would be hope that the player you are looking for appears on a multi-player rookie card, or in a high end prospect heavy set like Bowman. Topps is starting to go back into the "Get everyone on cardboard" with their Total brand, so thats a good sign!

Steve

Turn Off Ads?