Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Riske/Guillen suspended for beanball

Riske/Guillen suspended for beanball

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2496470

NEW YORK -- Chicago White Sox pitcher David Riske was suspended three games by the commissioner's office Thursday for intentionally throwing at St. Louis' Chris Duncan this week.

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen also was suspended, for one game. He and Riske were each fined an undisclosed amount by Bob Watson, vice president of on-field operations for Major League Baseball.

Riske's suspension was scheduled to start with Thursday night's home game against the Cardinals, unless the reliever appeals. Guillen was required to serve his penalty Thursday -- there was no appeal process available for him.

Riske and Guillen were ejected in the seventh inning of Chicago's 20-6 victory Tuesday night after the right-hander hit Duncan with a pitch.

The benches had been warned in the bottom of the sixth after St. Louis pitcher Sidney Ponson plunked two White Sox batters with the bases loaded.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Riske/Guillen suspended for beanball

This is some way to set an example. He sends a player down for not hitting a batter. Now he is defying the commissioner. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print...795&type=story
    Guillen doubts he'll attend sensitivity training

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    By Enrique Rojas
    ESPNdeportes.com

CHICAGO -- Ozzie Guillen doesn't know what a sensitivity course is about, and he doubts he'll ever attend one, even though commissioner Bud Selig ordered the Chicago White Sox manager to attend sensitivity training and fined him an undisclosed amount of money as punishment for his derogatory remarks to journalist Jay Mariotti.

"I don't think I'll be going, I don't think that'll happen," Guillen told ESPNdeportes.com in an interview at U.S. Cellular Field on Friday. The interview was conducted in Spanish.

"I think the commissioner ordered that in order to calm things down, but, obviously, to attend one of those, I'll have to take English lessons first," he added.

Guillen called Mariotti an offensive word, often used to refer to people's sexual preference.

Mariotti is a columnist for the Chicago Sun-Times and collaborates on ESPN's "Around The Horn."

"I'll do what I have to do, at least when I have time, but I don't think I'll take those sensitivity lessons," Guillen said.

"I want to make it clear that I left school a long time ago and that I learned English in the streets. I have three boys at school and I am too old to return to a classroom," he said.

The White Sox, who were a half-game behind Detroit in the AL Central, started a three-game series against the Houston Astros on Friday. They defeated the Astros last October to win the World Series for the first time since 1917.

While White Sox players practiced peacefully, Guillen answered dozens of questions from journalists.

Could it be that Guillen is always caught up in some kind of conflict as a tactic to take pressure off his players?

"I don't think that way, but it has turned out pretty good. In a way, things have turned out like that," Guillen said.

"I've obviously been in Chicago longer than these guys. I've been in this organization and in this city for 17 years and I know better than them how things are handled around here," he added. "I'd rather they talked about me and not about one of them."

If he keeps it up, he's going to owe MLB his entire salary.

What an arrogant SOB.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

I posted this on another thread, but since Animal House is on right now, I'll do it again.

Kent Dorfman, Faber '66
    Sensitivity Trainer
    Encounter Groups of Cleveland, Ohio

Last edited by Big Klu; 06-24-2006 at 12:45 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Arcanum Ohio via Nashville Tn and Jackson MS.

I am starting to like him more every day. I am fed up with these politically correct fruit cakes. Oz tells it like it is. What has happened to free speach?
    If the shoe fits, wear it!

Turn Off Ads?