Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: 6/22 Minor League Update (Homer makes his Lookouts debut)

Re: 6/22 Minor League Update (Homer makes his Lookouts debut)

1 IP, 1 H, 2 Ks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

It sounds like Belise is ready to leave the dl.

Billings is down 4-0 in the 4th:
    Stubbs is 0-2
    Logan Parker is 1-1 with a 1B and BB

Lookouts win, Homer goes to 1-0.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Thats a great start for Homer to get a win in his first AA start.

top 3 picks looking good in billings:
    stubbs 1-3, triple and a run
    watson 3 2/3 perfect innings with 4 k's
    valaika 2-3, double, hr and 2 rbi's

Thanks Tbball10. Thats great news about our top 3 draft picks.

Great start for Homer Bailey. He is improving and my one unfulfilled hope is that he is developing a ML ready 4th pitch (maybe a 90 mph cut fastball a la Mariano Rivera).

Bailey was impressive but some props need to go to the defense:
    Nerves were not a factor for Homer Bailey’s first start, as the Lookouts defeated the Carolina Mudcats 7-0. Bailey was the Reds’ first round pick in 2004, seventh overall, and he was more than stellar in his first Southern League outing. He pitched six strong innings, allowing five hits, no runs, zero walks, while striking out seven. He will be joining Joey Votto and manager Jayhawk Owens in the 2006 MLB Futures Game on July 9th at 4:00 on ESPN2.

The Lookouts’ defense helped Bailey control the game with three putouts at home plate. The offense was equally impressive, scoring seven runs off of Mudcat pitching. Rick Asadoorian had a big night at the plate, going 2-4 with a triple and three RBI. Javon Moran, Javier Colina, Aaron Herr, Miguel Perez all contributed with two hits of their own.

I realize that it's only one start, but that is great to see! It also must do wonders for the confidence. Keep it up Homer!!!!

Bailey leads Chattanooga past Carolina, 7-0
    06/22/06 - Southern League (SL) Carolina Mudcats

Chattanooga, TN --- Homer Bailey pitched six scoreless innings, capping his Double-A debut with a 98 mph fastball on his 98th and last pitch of his outing to lead Chattanooga past Carolina 7-0 at Bell South Park on Thursday night.

Bailey (W, 1-0), Cincinnati's first round pick in 2004 and # 1 prospect the last two seasons, was called up from High-A Sarasota and dominated the Mudcat hitters. Bailey allowed five hits and did not walk a hitter one day after learning he would pitch in the Futures Game in Pittsburgh, PA along with Carolina starter Jose Garcia.

Carolina (1-3) was shutout for the second time in three consecutive losses to the first-half champion Lookouts (3-1). Patrick Arlis doubled twice against Bailey, while Brett Carroll also had two hits. The top six hitters in the lineup collectively went 0-22.

Manu Olivera (L, 3-4) absorbed the loss in a spot start for Carolina, allowing two runs in four innings. James Russ, who was activated from the disabled list prior to the game, yielded three runs over 2 1/3 innings in his first action since June 13th. Chris Mobley worked 2/3 of an inning before Kevin Cave pitched the eighth, allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits.

Rick Asadoorian had two hits and three RBI to lead Chattanooga.

http://oursportscentral.com/services...es/?id=3331823

Great Falls outlasts Mustangs, 5-3
    White Sox wait out rain, light outage for 2nd straight win
    By MIKE SCHERTING
    Of The Gazette Staff

The Billings Mustangs waited 83 minutes to get one final shot at the Great Falls White Sox Thursday night.

The Mustangs' last chance was to no avail, however, and after a lengthy rain/lighting failure delay, the White Sox wrapped up a long evening with a 5-3 win at Cobb Field.

By the time Great Falls reliever Tim Sabo struck out Michael McKennon to end the game at 10:46 p.m., only a handful of fans remained to see the Mustangs drop their second straight after a resounding win in the Pioneer League season-opener two nights before.

The umpires waved the players off the field when a brief but intense rain hit at 9:10 p.m. Just as the rain was letting up, half of the stadium lights went out, ultimately causing a delay that lasted an hour and 23 minutes. Before the sudden cloudburst hit just upon the completion of the eighth inning with Great Falls leading 4-3, the 2,209 fans had seen an entertaining game, which included one of the rarest plays in baseball.

The play came in the top of the fourth when Great Falls' Lee Cruz walked to start the inning. The next batter, Chris Carter, launched a drive to left-center. While Carter jogged around first base watching the ball clear the fence, he and Cruz, who had stayed near first base waiting to see if the ball would be caught, crossed paths just enough that base umpire Bronson Martinez called Carter out for passing Cruz.

Carter was credited with a run-scoring single, and it gave the White Sox a 4-0 lead. Carter atoned for the mistake in the ninth inning, though, by hitting an even longer home run to dead center. That homer lifted the White Sox into a 5-3 lead and Sabo nailed down the save in the ninth.

Despite the loss, it wasn't all gloom for Mustangs' fans.

For the first time this season, they got to see the top three draft picks of the Cincinnati Reds in the same game, and they all contributed.

Pitcher Sean Watson, the Reds' No. 2 selection from the University of Tennessee, made his pro debut with 3 2/3 innings of scoreless relief. Watson, who came in for starter Misael DeJesus (0-1), retired all 10 batters he faced and he picked off an inherited runner at second base to end the fourth inning. Watson also struck out four.

Chris Valaika, the Reds' third-round selection from UC-Santa Barbara, homered in the fourth inning for his first professional hit and pulled the Mustangs within 4-1. He added an RBI double in the sixth to get the Mustangs to 4-2. Valaika, though, was thrown out at third trying to stretch his double into a triple.

The Reds' No. 1 pick, Texas center fielder Drew Stubbs, followed Valaika's double with a triple of his own and then scored on a Great Falls error to make it 4-3.

That was as close as the Mustangs got, however, as the White Sox bullpen allowed just two base runners over the final 3 1/3 innings.

The teams finish their four-game series tonight at Cobb Field.

NOTES: Mustangs first baseman Logan Parker had his third straight multi-hit game. Parker has seven hits in 10 at-bats this season. ... Though Great Falls has made eight errors in the three games, the White Sox have turned eight double plays. They also cut down two Billings base runners in Thursday's game. ... All six Mustangs hits came from the first four hitters in the order. ... If you take out the lengthy delay, the actual game lasted just two hours and 17 minutes.

http://www.billingsgazette.net/artic...2-mustangs.txt

Can't say I'm all that surprised at Homer's start in AA. Big time talent, folks. Somewhat ironic that yesterday also saw Chris Gruler reappear, starting a game and going 2 innings down in the GCL. For much of the past two years many felt they saw little difference between Homer Bailey and Chris Gruler. Today, I'm glad for both guys.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve
    For much of the past two years many felt they saw little difference between Homer Bailey and Chris Gruler.
    I can only speak for myself, but I have always seen plenty of differences between Bailey and Gruler (and Ty Howington for that matter).

However, I also felt it would be foolish not to acknowledge their obvious similarities. All three guys were multi-million dollar bonus babies selected straight from HS by the Reds, all three guys were saddled with ridiculous comparisons to HOF pitchers (Carlton, Seaver, Clemens), and all three guys were put on the fast track of the player development system. Net, I think plenty of people saw the differences between Homer and Ty/Chris, but they were gravely concerned about the similarities.

Before we start crowing about the awesomeness of Homer, let's keep in mind that Howington had a similar breakthrough season in 2001 (cruising through 3 levels of the minors as a 20 year old and ending his season in Chattanooga) before his career was derailed by injuries. Hopefully, Homer can avoid Ty's fate, but let's not count our chickens until they hatch.

http://www.tfponline.com/QuickHeadli...26ID%3DAr02903

Bailey gets off to fast AA start
    By David Paschall Staff Writer

Homer Bailey will tote the same earned run average into his second Double-A start as he did his first.

The top prospect of the Cincinnati Reds made an immediate home Thursday night at BellSouth Park, pitching six scoreless innings and leading the Chattanooga Lookouts to a 7-0 rout of Carolina. His Class AA debut in front of 2,461 fans included seven strikeouts and no walks.

"I think I did all right, but our defense, more than anything, played outstanding," Bailey said. "We had three plays at the plate and two more at third, which were clutch plays. I wasn’t nervous. As long as the plate was 60 feet, I knew it was still the game of baseball."

The 20-year-old right-hander’s fastball was as advertised, reaching 95 and 96 mph on firstinning third strikes. His 96th and final pitch was clocked at 98 by charting Lookouts pitchers and on BellSouth’s speedpitch board in left-center.

"These guys don’t come around a lot, and it’s nice to have one in our organization," Lookouts pitching coach Bill Moloney said. "Hopefully he can keep going with it. He still looked fresh at the end."

Said Bailey: "I’ve always been the type of pitcher that feels better in the fourth, fifth and sixth innings or even the seventh if I get that chance. I can’t explain it. It’s just how I’ve always done it."

Lookouts manager Jayhawk Owens credited Bailey for studying Carolina from the stands since arriving Monday from the high Single-A Florida State League. Owens added that the 6-foot-4, 205-pounder kept his off-speed pitches very low.

Catcher Patrick Arlis had two of Carolina’s five hits off Bailey, launching a double over Rick Asadoorian’s head in center in the third inning and another double off the right-field wall in the fifth.

"He just kind of fell behind me in my first at-bat and left the pitch over the plate," Arlis said. "In the second at-bat, he threw me a first-pitch curveball, and I got on top of it and drove it to right. He was throwing the ball hard and was real on top of the ball at a dominant angle, so he’ll be deceiving for a lot of guys.

"He’s got good stuff. He’s just got to locate."

The Lookouts (3-1) gave Bailey the lead when Noochie Varner’s first-inning single to right scored Javon Moran, who led with a single up the middle and advanced to second on a wild pitch. In the third, Miguel Perez’s one-out sacrifice to left scored Javier Colina to make it 2-0. Chattanooga loaded the bases in the fifth and picked up its third run on a fielder’schoice RBI by Asadoorian, who blew the game open two innings later with a triple to right-center that scored Perez and Ryan Hanigan.

Carlos Guevara replaced Bailey and recorded two strikeouts in the seventh, as did Matt Belisle in the eighth. Belisle, the Reds middle reliever, worked his second rehab assignment and will now move on to Triple-A Louisville.

Travis Chick (4-3, 5.35 ERA) is scheduled to start tonight’s series finale for the Lookouts, with Adam Bostick (4-4, 4.33) scheduled for the Mudcats. Chattanooga is 11-8 against Carolina after going 11-26 against the Mudcats last year.

Kelly promoted
    Chattanooga starter Steve Kelly, the Southern League’s leader in wins, was promoted Thursday afternoon to Louisville. In 15 games, Kelly was 9-4 with a 2.82 ERA.

His departure leaves the Lookouts with a rotation of Bailey, Chick, Josh Hall, Tyler Pelland and Eddy Valdez.

E-mail David Paschall at dpaschall@timesfreepress.com

Turn Off Ads?